Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open Captions won't update changes

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm making a video for an important client. They send me a correction list with minimum corrections on the captions. The frustrating problem is that when I apply those corrections, some are changed, but some are not. And if I close the program, after saving all my work, and open it again, the changes are gone.

I really think it is a bug and it is really frustrating for the client also to see that some mistakes are still in the captions, and for me to keep on going through the video several times to see these random mistakes are still there even though I corrected them before.

Anybody with the same problem?

Thanks in advance.

Antonio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tested the open caption in Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 V11.0 on MAC...and mine is working fine.

Trying Exporting the captions in .xml from file > export > captions and open it in text edit on mac or notepad in windows.

Than import it back into premiere pro (but it will import the caption in 720 X 480 resolution, so you will have to right click on the imported caption after replacing with the old caption in the timeline to SCALE TO FRAME SIZE).

You can also edit the captions after importing the .xml into Premier pro.

I hope this solve your problem.

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using PP CC v12.1.0. And open captions still has many bugs.

Edits I make sometimes update immediately on the screen. At other times, changes don't appear at all. You can see the change in the thumbnail list, but not on screen.

Anytime italics and normal are used in one caption, the font changes and the non-italicized words are positioned slightly lower than the italicized ones.

So many bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issues. Open captions changes don't update properly. Won't save word revisions, formatting (centering), and the positioning gets wonky too. Did you ever find a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specific dot version of PR are you using? There have been changes and fixes to captions in many of the recent releases.

However, the problem of "unresponsive" changes still occurs as of the most recent version (2019.0.2).

The problem is unpredictable, and no single workaround is consistent.

See this thread.

Re: Can't change captions color

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Version 12.1.2.

So many issues with the captions - editing them wouldn't work, then I re-uploaded them into my timeline and I could finally make edits that would save (with the exception of alignment - centering it never seems to work especially when I've made the caption two lines - it always left aligns which looks pretty crappy... I also don't see any options for adjusting line spacing).

I think at this point making captions line by line in Photoshop is more ideal...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are problems...

When making captions/subtitles "by hand" to be burned in, rather than with using the captioning tool, you can use the Essential Graphics as titles. If the goal is burning in, the quality is better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does burning in mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Captions (compared to Closed Captions) have only 2 options when exporting the sequence: None (ignore) or "Burn in" (include the captions in the actual video stream). You can also export an Open Caption stream from the Project Panel as a srt or stl file.

Alternatively, when exporting from the sequence, Closed Captions can be burned in, ignored, embedded, or exported as a sidecar.

You must know you final goal(s) when deciding the caption type to use in your project and how it is going to be exported from PR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that captions will only update if they are not placed on the timeline. So after you import the captions double click them in the bin and edit them before you put them on the timeling. Or remove them from your timeline. Edit  when the are in the bin, and place them on your timeline again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I did. Still doesn't work completely: dragging to the timeline shows no changes. But if I restart Premiere first, the changes do take! Whoohoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kees, every workaround is worth a try when a user is plagued by this issue. But since this thread, I determined that one way to produce the "won't update in program or source monitor" problem is to duplicate the caption stream. I just tested (in PR 2020.0.2, Win 10), and even with your method, the caption changes in a duplicate stream do not update.

I can still not produce the problem reliably in an original stream, so I can't test your method. Because individual instances of caption streams are coded in the project file itself, I think you may be onto something.

Stan 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I couldn't see changes reflected in premiere, so I rendered them out anyway with AME and... the changes are in the rendered video... still can't see them in Premiere. WYSINWYG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having this problem in PPro 2021 (15.4.1). i am creating burned in designed captions for social using the auto transcribe feature. but whenever i make an edit to the caption (add a comma, edit a word, etc) only some of them update and take effect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are other, newer threads regarding this problem that only occurs for some users. But I cannot find the newest thread regarding workarounds. Try searching for "reverts" (as in, edit reverts top original text).

I think the workaround is to NOT edit in the text panel but in the Program Monitor. This worked for some users that have this problem.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

fantastic! thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. i look around using those terms. thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines