• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open Premiere Project in Older Version - Downgrade Project Version

Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro users sometimes want to open their project in an earlier version.

Here’s the quickest way to open your projects in an earlier version. Only 4 steps to revert the PP version.

This assumes you have 7-Zip installed. It’s free and awesome and why would anyone not have it! 🙂

Also, that you have a COPY of your project that you will be converting.

++++ Make a Copy of your project with a New Name in the same folder as the original ++++

1) Right-Click the COPY of the project and from the 7-Zip menu select “Open Archive”

2) In 7-Zip there is one file same name as the project – Right-Click the file and select EDIT*

3) On the fourth line change the Version = “??” Change the number portion to “1” Save and Close

4) 7-Zip will ask you if you want to update that file in the archive, Select <OK>

That’s it! When you open the project Premiere Pro will say it is from a Previous Version, and will give it a new name as usual.

*Of note, on step 2, the bigger your project the longer it takes to open.

Here’s a link to an online program which requires you to upload the file but will do the above for you.

joshcluderay.com/downgrade-premiere-project-converter

Of course you loose any new features of the later version you edited with.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

If using the rollback technique outlined here (or with Josh's downgrade converter) there is another way. Save your sequence as an XML file. With the sequence selected (as you would for Exporting), click FILE/Export and then 'Final Cut Pro XML' and Save.

Then open a NEW project in PP, keep it in the same folder as the current one, and File/Import and select the file you just saved. It should import fine. You may need to reattach some files, but maybe not also. Check it carefully just as you wou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested on Premiere Pro 2020 (version 14.9.1 which was the final 2020 update). You should have an update available for 14.9.1. But a project reverted to version "1" (or "0") should open in any version.

I also tested on PR 2021 (15.4.1).

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan,

Thanks for the share I'll try testing it out in the versions you mentioned. 

Sounds like Versions older than 14.9.1 (14.0.1 & 14.0.3) don't work for me for some reason I'll try it on 14.9.1 and see what happens, thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Riveraktre,

Same as MeyerPj, opens fine in PR2020. I did the manual conversion and also used the web link. 

If the one MeyerPj did for you does not work, can you upload one of the versions that is not working for you?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan,

Here is the version, strange as you're running PP2020 as well.

Wait you said PR2020 are you using Premiere RUSH? or Premiere pro.

And if PP what version of 2020 PP are you running?

I am trying to opene it on 14.0.1 PP 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan,

Here is the project file thats not working

Both the version provided by the author and the orignal one as well that is giving me the same error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh so strange still no go, same message, maybe I need to update my premiere and maybe the versions I'm running maybe a bit buggy for this to work...

I attached the screenshots again of my version I'm using plus the error message.

I directly downloaded yours tried opening it on my Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I could email you the project file and see if that maybe helps? Or maybe attached here? 

By @Riveraktre

Works fine in 2021.

Lose the '&' character in the project name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

I tried loosing the charactera and no luck, Stan proposed I try version 14.9.1 maybe that'll solve this mystery for me.

Long story short the new version 15.4.1 and other variants crashes on my computer unfornately so hence why I haven't upgraded onto these newer versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was never able to get it to work with my project. It said the same thing for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If using the rollback technique outlined here (or with Josh's downgrade converter) there is another way. Save your sequence as an XML file. With the sequence selected (as you would for Exporting), click FILE/Export and then 'Final Cut Pro XML' and Save.

Then open a NEW project in PP, keep it in the same folder as the current one, and File/Import and select the file you just saved. It should import fine. You may need to reattach some files, but maybe not also. Check it carefully just as you would using the original way above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh Downgrade converter is limited to 50 mb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, thanks for all the input. but i got actually the same problem as Riveraktre, i used to to the gzip way always. but now it stoped working

is there any other way solving it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonas,

I was never clear exactly what was happening. What problem are you getting? The converted project doesn't open, or...?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the reply. 

i am doing it exactly like said in all the tutorials. it also works with other .pr.proj files. but on file doesnt get downgraded.

it shows the same error like: Riveraktre

really have no more clue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of the settings where you are re-gzipping the file.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to be very meticulous when using the zip method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right MyerPj,

Help documentation for info on that process: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/importing-xml-project-files-final.html

Just substitute Premiere Pro current version for "FCP 7" and the process is identical.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XML was the first route I tried and it didn't work on my project. The converter didn't work either. The only thing I can think of is that it's probably something to do with the Legacy titling tool. There were a lot of texts in the project and with every version there's an update with the titling tool. Simple sequences usually work fine for me with XML exchanges.

I think Premiere Pro should just tried to make their updates backwards and forwards compatible. If Photoshop can do it, then why not Premiere?

An option to save in a previous version of Premiere would also work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Community: Please upvote this feature request: Save for a previous version of Premiere

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Community: Please upvote this feature request: Save for a previous version of Premiere

Thanks,
Kevin

By @Kevin-Monahan

I dont think this is ever going to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Ann,

As Steve Hoeg used to say when he worked at Adobe (and I'm paraphrasing), "Anything is possible with software development."

Kind Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OSX users can use a suite of apps by Digital Rebellion that includes some handy utilities such as a Pr project downgrader, and a corrupt clip finder, Preferences and plug-ins manager, OS utilities, and several more.  I've used it for years and found it very useful.  Free upgrades, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I wrote a special free service for all editing directors for downgrade + optimization + error correction of Adobe Premiere Pro projects, use it! 
https://alexbruni.ru/premiere_downgrader

IMG_20221021_033638_757.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice but you do need to put the website in English.

What is the max project size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you MyerPj!!

The converter link worked like a charm!! I wish I had checked this Support Community earlier, I'd have a lot more hair right now! Thanks for sending the answer so quickly, it has saved my project which is due tomorrow evening!

monicaa32716093

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines