Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Open Premiere Project in Older Version - Downgrade Project Version

Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro users sometimes want to open their project in an earlier version.

Here’s the quickest way to open your projects in an earlier version. Only 4 steps to revert the PP version.

This assumes you have 7-Zip installed. It’s free and awesome and why would anyone not have it! 🙂

Also, that you have a COPY of your project that you will be converting.

++++ Make a Copy of your project with a New Name in the same folder as the original ++++

1) Right-Click the COPY of the project and from the 7-Zip menu select “Open Archive”

2) In 7-Zip there is one file same name as the project – Right-Click the file and select EDIT*

3) On the fourth line change the Version = “??” Change the number portion to “1” Save and Close

4) 7-Zip will ask you if you want to update that file in the archive, Select <OK>

That’s it! When you open the project Premiere Pro will say it is from a Previous Version, and will give it a new name as usual.

*Of note, on step 2, the bigger your project the longer it takes to open.

Here’s a link to an online program which requires you to upload the file but will do the above for you.

joshcluderay.com/downgrade-premiere-project-converter

Of course you loose any new features of the later version you edited with.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan,

Thanks for the share I'll try testing it out in the versions you mentioned. 

Sounds like Versions older than 14.9.1 (14.0.1 & 14.0.3) don't work for me for some reason I'll try it on 14.9.1 and see what happens, thanks! 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Riveraktre,

Same as MeyerPj, opens fine in PR2020. I did the manual conversion and also used the web link. 

If the one MeyerPj did for you does not work, can you upload one of the versions that is not working for you?

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan,

Here is the version, strange as you're running PP2020 as well.

Wait you said PR2020 are you using Premiere RUSH? or Premiere pro.

And if PP what version of 2020 PP are you running?

I am trying to opene it on 14.0.1 PP 2020

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan,

Here is the project file thats not working

Both the version provided by the author and the orignal one as well that is giving me the same error message.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh so strange still no go, same message, maybe I need to update my premiere and maybe the versions I'm running maybe a bit buggy for this to work...

I attached the screenshots again of my version I'm using plus the error message.

I directly downloaded yours tried opening it on my Mac. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I could email you the project file and see if that maybe helps? Or maybe attached here? 

By @Riveraktre

Works fine in 2021.

Lose the '&' character in the project name.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

I tried loosing the charactera and no luck, Stan proposed I try version 14.9.1 maybe that'll solve this mystery for me.

Long story short the new version 15.4.1 and other variants crashes on my computer unfornately so hence why I haven't upgraded onto these newer versions. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was never able to get it to work with my project. It said the same thing for me.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If using the rollback technique outlined here (or with Josh's downgrade converter) there is another way. Save your sequence as an XML file. With the sequence selected (as you would for Exporting), click FILE/Export and then 'Final Cut Pro XML' and Save.

Then open a NEW project in PP, keep it in the same folder as the current one, and File/Import and select the file you just saved. It should import fine. You may need to reattach some files, but maybe not also. Check it carefully just as you would using the original way above.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh Downgrade converter is limited to 50 mb.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, thanks for all the input. but i got actually the same problem as Riveraktre, i used to to the gzip way always. but now it stoped working

is there any other way solving it?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonas,

I was never clear exactly what was happening. What problem are you getting? The converted project doesn't open, or...?

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the reply. 

i am doing it exactly like said in all the tutorials. it also works with other .pr.proj files. but on file doesnt get downgraded.

it shows the same error like: Riveraktre

really have no more clue

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please post a screenshot of the settings where you are re-gzipping the file.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to be very meticulous when using the zip method.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines