Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OpenCL option missing with GTX1070

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

in order to use RedGiant Denoiser III at reasonable processing speeds, I have to enable OpenCL in Premiere. Unfortunately, the only options I have are software acceleration and CUDA, but the OpenCL option is missing.

Checking GPU-Z shows me that OpenCL is enabled in the graphics card itself.

I already updated (clean installed) my gpu drivers over GeForce Experience, but to no avail.

Any ideas on why it might not be shown?

Thanks,

Luca

Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700

GTX1070 8G

16GB

Samsung 860 Evo

Win10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Sorry, but Adobe has permanently disabled OpenCL in MPE in all versions of Premiere Pro to date on Windows systems that use only NVIDIA GPUs. The only way to enable OpenCL accelerated rendering on an AMD CPU-based Windows PC is to switch from an NVIDIA GPU (such as your GeForce GTX 1070) to an AMD GPU (such as a Radeon RX 580).

That policy dates back to the days when Kepler was the newest NVIDIA GPU architecture that was being sold through resellers, and Fermi and Tesla GPU architectures were sti

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but Adobe has permanently disabled OpenCL in MPE in all versions of Premiere Pro to date on Windows systems that use only NVIDIA GPUs. The only way to enable OpenCL accelerated rendering on an AMD CPU-based Windows PC is to switch from an NVIDIA GPU (such as your GeForce GTX 1070) to an AMD GPU (such as a Radeon RX 580).

That policy dates back to the days when Kepler was the newest NVIDIA GPU architecture that was being sold through resellers, and Fermi and Tesla GPU architectures were still in wide use. All of those architectures have historically had very poor OpenCL performance compared to their corresponding ATi / AMD counterparts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! Been looking for this answer for hours! Glad to know there's not a practical solution! Guess I'll cry myself to sleep now! Thanks though for real

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This quite frustrating news.  Why would Adobe limit itself to lower tier GPU's?  I specifically bought a Nvidia GPU because I wanted a more capable processor.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They assume if you're using an Nvidia card, you'll use CUDA acceleration.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have since found out the real reason why OpenCL is permanently disabled for Premiere Pro when an Nvidia GPU is chosen:

The real reason is that all of Nvidia's graphics drivers (including the latest 461.40 Studio Driver) artificially restricts OpenCL version compatibility to OpenCL 1.2. Adobe now requires OpenCL 2.0 or higher just to even enable OpenCL at all.

Simply put, Nvidia does not officially support even the minimum (oldest) version of OpenCL that Adobe requires to enable GPU acceleration using this particular API. In other words, Nvidia's support for OpenCL remains half-hearted compared to both AMD and Intel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I red that all dx 12.0 GPU's by Nvida Support OpenCl 2.0 now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, OpenCL 3.0 for everything Maxwell and newer. However, Adobe still permanently disabled OpenCL support for all Nvidia GPUs in all Windows versions of Premiere Pro to date.

That means that if you see both OpenCL and CUDA in the renderer settings, you actually have a second, non-Nvidia GPU in addition to the Nvidia one. And in this case, if you select OpenCL as the renderer, only the non-Nvidia GPU (this means an AMD GPU or an Intel GPU) will be used at all for GPU acceleration while the Nvidia GPU will sit completely idle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines