• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening caption crash Premiere 2022

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone have an idea WHY???/ It's very frustrating. 

I can find another way to do subtitles but I would like to know if there is any advice to fix this bug.

OS updated-  GPU updated, Premiere Updated.

Thanks you in advance

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Formats , Freeze or hang , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card and your source properties and sequence settings.  Really can't help without this info...  I've been working with captions extensively for the last year without any serious issues on a variety of macs and a windows machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 version 21H2

64 GB Ram

RTX3060

Premiere 22.2

sequence 1920x1080 25fps

Let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "opening captions"?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bro!!

When I do a double clip on the subtitles(timeline) and pop up the window of the subtitles.

In that the moment the software freeze and crashes, ALWAYS. 

but the project is done. I called too my client explain the issue and I moved to Davinci Resolve, finished it on time and another project is coming.

I'm a freelancer, my client pays me per hour and I could not expend two hours every day trying to solve Premiere's well-known issues and telling my clients that I can deliver it because the subtitles caption doesn't work.

That is not professional at all, and nobody is expecting that.

In the meanwhile, I'm paying 45 euros every month, it's a SHAME.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Sorry for the frustration. Do you see any error code or messages when it crashes? Have you already tried basic maintenance like reset preferences and deleting cache files?

Let us know.

Thanks,

Kartika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've had this happen to me. I filed a bug on behalf of the community a week or two ago. Check the beta to see if it is fixed yet. The workaround is to edit text directly in the Program Monitor and leave the Text panel closed as much as possible. Save often when editing titles! Hope this is fixed soon.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this crash as well. I was editing hundreds of captions yesterday. But today, when I went to make a change, it was consistently hard crashing the program. I can double-click on a caption and a window opens where I can make the edit. Then, I closed the Caption window. I then found another caption I wanted to edit and that's when Premiere crashes. One time, I was actually able to submit a crash report, but most of the time it just disappears.

Here are the specs on that system:

Windows 10 (19042.1526)

Premiere Pro v22.2

64GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro P2200

And I'm editing a Zoom recording, so it's 25fps with mixed media on the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what format is the zoom recording? 

Make sure your frame rate is constant...  And what do you mean by mixed media?  Are there any screen recordings or material shot on an iphone?  If so, the issue may be variable frame rate sources which can have unpredictable and intermittent issues...  Here's how to diagnose and solve the problem

use mediainfo to determine whether your source is variable or constant frame rate
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download
if it's variable use handbrake to convert to constant frame rate setting the quality slider in the video panel to maximum
https://handbrake.fr
and here's a tutorial on how to use handbrake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe "mixed media" complicates things, but I just meant I'm compositing different Zoom video recordings with static graphic elements.

However, none of that seems to have any relevance since I was able to replicate this issue on a new project. Just add caption items on the caption track. Close the caption window, then open it again by double-clicking on a caption. Premiere crashes. I can't seem to replicate this on another system though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wabber,

I don't experience this when double clicking on captions. And I don't recall other reports. I would try resetting preferences AND the workspaces you are using.

Test in a new project.

File a bug report if this does not work:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might have to do with workspaces after all, if this crash log is anything to go by. Originally I thought it had to do with me accessing Premiere over a remote connection, possibly with the Audio hardware setting since that doesn't play nice over remote connections at first.

I'm actually surprised this didn't come up while I was editing hundreds of captions for several hours the other day. But this only happens on this one system, so it could be a specific configuration of it. I've also included the sample file I've been testing from.

I could try resetting preferences and workspace to see if that clears it up, but I want to try backing it up first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since upgrading my computer to an Apple Studio M1 I have encountered nothing but trouble working with Captions panel. If I turn captions off/lock them or hide, I can move the playhead along the timeline without issue.  When I turn on captions and try to move the playhead along the timeline Adobe Premiere crashes consistently.  I have no idea how to fix this and I depend on captioning all of my content. 

Premiere 22.5.0

Mac iOS 12.4

Mac Studio Ultra M1, 64GB memory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rry running premiere in the Intel version
.. I think its called rosetta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gstockton, you may also benefit from Kevin's suggestion. When you say "I have encountered nothing but trouble working with Captions panel," I assume you are talking about the Text (Captions) Panel -> Captions Tab. When you say,  however,  "I turn captions off/lock them or hide," I assume you are talking about the timeline.

When you crash, is the Text Panel open?

In any event, try closing that panel, then scrub the timeline with a caption track visible. Does it crash? Let us know.

There are shortcuts that make editing in the timeline easier - mainly avoiding the double clicking the caption in the Program Monitor.

The workflow in this post was for adding captions, working entirely in the timeline/Program Monitor:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta-discussions/subtitles-quot-quot-button-is-grayed-ou...

If you are not adding captions, but just editing captions already in the timeline, just modify the steps to:

Move CTI over the caption you want to edit

Left click that caption (it must be selected)

Ctrl+Alt+X (puts you in edit mode)

Edit caption

Repeat

I do not believe there is a command to select the caption under the CTI. "D" selects video track items under the CTI.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've started having the same problem now in version 23.4, after the captioning options were updated to include trancribing the source. It doesn't even crash - Premiere Pro just disappears without closing or crashing and creating a recovery file almost every time I click on the caption in the subtitle track to edit it and the text panel opens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started having this issue today. When I toggle the Captions switch to "ON," choose Sidecar File, then go to select .srt, Premiere crashes with a send report window. I export with captions daily, today is the first day with this issue. Tried trashing preferences, deleting cache. It's also happening on other machines in our office. I work off of an external server for video files, which are all .MXF files

Specs: Mac Pro (2019), Monterey v.12.5.1, Premiere v.23.4.0, Processor 3.2 GHz 96 GB Memory, AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you recently update to Premeire 23.4?  If so, revert to an earlier version of Premiere 23.  I'd recommend 23.2 which seem to be pretty stable...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and if you need any help reverting to 23.2, post back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much, Michael. I did as you suggested and reverted back to 23.2 and it's working like it's supposed to.  Yesterday I used v.22 that is still installed on my computer and that worked just fine as well. Appreciate your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually figured out why I was having this problem. It's not to do with Premiere's version but with the workflow. Sometimes I duplicate sequences that already had captions and then add new caption track. When I want to edit the captions in the track - this is when Premiere crashes. I now create a new sequence for each video I want to make from the source and make sure I don't create new caption track in a sequence that was previously transcribed and captioned (which is not ideal as duplicating sequences often saves me a lot of work but it is what it is). Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.2 also crashes for me as all the other versions do. About to try 23.1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok 23.1 doesn't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found a solution that seems to work on all versions for now: you have to check your Font Book on oyur Mac and valitade the fonts. If any fonts have issues disable them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually figured out why I was having this problem. Reposting here in case it helps anyone else. In my case it wasn't to do with Premiere's version but with the workflow. Sometimes I duplicate sequences that already had captions and then add new caption track. When I want to edit the captions in the track - this is when Premiere crashes. I now create a new sequence for each video I want to make from the source and make sure I don't create new caption track in a sequence that was previously transcribed and captioned (which is not ideal as duplicating sequences often saves me a lot of work but it is what it is). Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines