• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Optical Flow reacts weird in between cuts and shots

Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I use a slow motion with Optical Flow in Time Remapping or with a speed/duration change (right click) it reacts very weird with cuts in between shots. Every time I activate the Optical Flow on 2 shots that follow each other the cut is morphed and creates this weird effect as if Premiere is trying to cross dissolve the 2 shots instead of just cutting to the second shot. I've tried multiple edits and settings, but it keeps happening. Maybe I missed something or i'm not doing it right. Anybody have the same problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the effect applied directly to the clips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, to each clip or shot individually

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce the issue here.  It's working as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Optical flow should have a "scene change" detection that could be adjusted.

Optical flow also goes all over the place when a sudden lightning change takes place. For exemple It's a nightmare to use OF with clips also containing photoshoots because of the flashes from the camera. The only way I have found to fix this is to edit and cut the 3-4 frames that goes all over the place and set it to "interpolation" instead of "Optical flow". Very tedious and long work when you can have several douzens of flashes in your sequence.

So yes Adobe should considering adding scene and lightning changes detection in Optical Flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i made a optical flow template in AE with scene detect(open source) similar to AE's magnum edit detector for optical flow. dunno if this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lighting and not lightning. Sorry, english is not my native langage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same issue with PP CC 2017 (and also 2019 when I converted the project to the later software).

OF seems to be a bit fragile at low lighting and if you slow the footage too much.

This is what ADobe's official tip is:

The best results often come at 50% speed or higher, because the interpolation rate in that case is 1:1 or less.

Moral: don't make it work too hard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I saw this issue today in Premiere 22.5.0, which is the latest version as of this writing.

My workaround was to put a manual cut in the clip right at the scene change, then tweak the start and end points a bit so the interopolation didn't span across the scene change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines