Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Organizing Lumetri looks is very hard

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have been using my custom luts for a while now and I really have to say that the drop down-menu inside the Lumetri creative panel isn't the most organized way for using LUTs. 

I have a few questions here:

1. Would it be possible to implement a better way to choose LUTs?

It would be nice to have the luts inside folders for easier navigation inside the drop down menu. Or just forget about the drop down menu and make a new one, for example Magic Bullet Looks has a really good interface and it's easy to browse presets. (I know Magic Bullet Looks is for adjusting the look but the base idea is good)

2. What is the maximum amount of LUTs that are visible on the menu?

I have downloaded a huge LUT pack and only about a third of them are visible and I can't use them unless I browse them inside file explorer on windows which makes it very slow to use.

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I'm going to assume you understand the correct locations to park our own LUTs, but for so many who don't, I'll post the proper locations in the chart below. One should never add LUTs to the program/package file locations ... although you do need to add the Creative and Technical folders as the end of the following folder-tree:

Lumetri LUTs Looks Findable Locations.PNG

I rename my LUTs for organization purposes, both to get them to the top of the list as there aren't any included ones I really ever use, and so that they're grouped. Adding a number/letter prefix schema to the names accomplishes the grouping for me. Like " 01a Sat Removed " ... which would be at the top of the list. 01 would be one level of 'foldering', and the letter part allows 26 sub-foldering. Makes for quicker scrolling down the list.

I don't know if there's a limit to how many it sees, I've never run out ... but then, I've only got about 25 loaded most of the time. Many of mine were specific fixes that I used for something and dumped later on.

Next, yea ... having the program show subfolders would be handy and would make scrolling faster. The place to make such a suggestion ... or to vote up one ... is the UserVoice system. Adobe lives by metrics, and that goes to both the engineers (yea, someone reads every post or comment) and almost more importantly, is collated and sent to the upper managers who decide budgets. And ... live and breath by metrics. That's one of their main sources.

There's this thread there on major Lumetri changes which would incorporate your ideas for sub-folders in an amazing upgrade of Lumetri speed/ease-of-use/capabilities ... and has 300+ votes:

Adobe Lumetri CC

One way you can handle this now ... is by using Lumetri presets. As you can create sub-bins in your Presets area, so you can add a particular LUT to a Lumetri, save as a preset, park all the ones that you want grouped in one sub-bin, and so you can then search by sub-bin. I do know of people handling mass settings for Lumetri this way quite successfully.

Using layers of Lumetri is in all a wise way to go, so this works quite well. The presets do save the name and description used in this manner.

I would also note I've watched a few people with mass libraries of LUTs ... and in less than a quarter of the time they take to go through and consider different LUTs, I've graded a clip manually and moved on. I have them, I create them, I use them ... but only when it's faster or for some specific reason more precise than I can get manually. For most purposes I'm far faster going down a line and working clips than selecting LUTs except for over-all things for scenes/projects.

But we all work difrerently, it's the most fascinating part of video-post work to me ... how everyone does what they do.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can install custom LUT files and have them appear in the Lumetri Color panel.

To install a custom LUT file, first create one or more of the directories listed below, and then copy your custom LUT files to that folder.
Custom LUT directories macOS Windows
Available only to the local user /Users/<user_name>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Creative

/Users/<user_name>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Technical
C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Creative

C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Technical
Available to all users /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Creative

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Technical
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Creative

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Technical

Premiere Pro scans the folders at launch and loads LUT files from these directories. LUTs in the Creative directories appear in the Creative Looks dropdown, and LUTs in the Technical directories appear in the Input LUT dropdowns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can the LUTs be in subfolders of Technical or Creative folders? Or do they have to be outside of any subfolders? I'm using Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try a sub-folder. I just did.

Yea, it works. But they access by name. So even putting them in a subfolder doesn't change where they show in the dropdown list.

So I organize by adding a prefix ... such as "01 A Low-Sat Shadows".

This way that LUT will show pretty early in the list, and I know from the name what it does.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines