• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Output both 608 and 708 closed captions in Quicktime file (Premiere Pro 14.9 and earlier)

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that requires both 608 and 708 closed captions to be embedded in a ProRes HQ output.

Is it possible to export both 608 and 708 closed captions in a Quicktime file?

My process is this: import a .mcc file with a 608 track and 708 track. I put 608 on V2 and 708 on V3. Export to Quicktime (ProRes HQ - HD). Closed caption export settings are "embed 708."  The export only carries the 608 captions.  Any suggestions?

Working in Premiere Pro 2015.3 on Mac OS 10.10.5

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having this same issue.  Were you able to resolve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are newer threads on this. Bottom line: PR will still not embed a 708 in quicktime. It is an active feature request.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  I'm now looking at a product like CCconverter so I can output 608 and 708 embedded in an mxf file and then convert it in CCconverter to prores for broadcast distribution.   I'm testing now but seems like it works in converting and keeping 608 and 708 CC embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An extra program isn't inherently necessary, although I can't speak to as if it would be any easier or more of an automated process compared to Premiere.

Within Premiere alone, it's probably easiest to create/import your 608 captions stream and lay it on your sequence, then duplicate that captions file in your bin, and Right Click > Modify > Captions, the format of the duplicate to 708. Then make any adjustments if you desire to the 708 stream and lay it on another track as well.

If your 2 caption tracks are in your sequence and you choose to embed captions in your export settings, Premiere will export with both caption streams embedded. For what it's worth, if you need ProRes in a .MXF (since you mentioned those 2 things), the newest version of Premiere/Media Encoder offers .MXF ProRes as an output type now. That said, ProRes shouldn't need to be in a .MXF wrapper to support embedded captions, I recall embedding captions into a .MOV ProRes before a handful of times without issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this.  I have set up my timeline with CC as you've described.  I hope you're right and I'm just missing something.  But I've been unsuccesful getting both 608 and 708 to embed in a ProRes output.   It is only embedding the 608 captions.  When I export as MXF OP1 DNxHQ it does embed both 608 and 708.  The catch for me there is the company doing the broadcast station delivery only accepts ProRes.  If I send the .mxf they charge me for the conversion.   They suggest I use MacCaption to do the conversion before sending to them, but it costs $6k.  I'm a one man band and that cost is substantial for me.  At $1k, CCconvert feels like a bargain ;). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andy, I believe that based on other threads and feature requests, PR has never embedded 708 captions to prores. See this staff post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/need-to-change-caption-stream-from-cea-608-to-cea-708/m-...

Prores, as you know, does support 708. I thought there was a UserVoice feature request, but I can't find it currently. But there was acknowledgement from staff that embedding 708 in quicktime was a feature request.

I just tested and 708 is not embedding in 2019 or 2020 versions of PR.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been exporting both 608 and 708 captions to my .mxf files successfully. But in the last 2 weeks this has stopped working. Exporting from Premiere and or queue to Media Encoder is only exporting either the 608, or the 708, but not both. (Verified with MediaInfo) Could I be missing something really simple?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out my problem. As always it was user error. My 608 caption in the timeline was actually a 708. Not sure how it got changed to a 708 because when imported it was a 608. Duplicated that one and changed it to a 708 and added both to timeline. Double checked format of each and exported both versions in the embedded mxf file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having same issue, client wants QT.  So it sounds like there is no work around anyone has found to put a 708 in a QT??   am running the most current version as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FYI 608 is for SD. 708 is for HD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines