• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

panning judder

New Here ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read previous threads about the issue of judder on camera pans, and tried out the solutions suggested, but I still have a problem.  In fact I've noticed there's judder on the panning in many commercially-produced films, so this seems to be a long-lasting problem. 

I'm a beginner really with Premiere, so maybe I'm missing something simple - I hope so!  I am trying to produce a video in which slow pans are a central feature, and am getting nowhere.  I am using a Sony 6300a shooting XAVC S HD at 50fps and 50p 50M.  When I play back through the camera I get the smoothest beautiful pans imaginable, but any playback through the computer, either the original file or exporting it through Premiere, gives judder which is completely unacceptable.

I've tried changing the sequence settings as recommended, changing the frame rate to 25 for instance, but nothing helps.  The fastest frame rate available seems to be 60. 

I've also tried exporting it in various codecs, none make a difference.  I imported Apple ProRes as that was recommended to me, but I can't it back even on something like VLC.  (I wonder if there's something wrong, as exporting to ProRes422 HQ gives me a file size for a 19 second clip of over 800KB which is massive.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

===============

Yes, the video is recorded to an SD card, which plays fine in the camera.

I am then copying the files to a SSD in the computer.

When I play back from the computer it judders, on the Windows player and also on VLC

===========

OK. Thanks !  It is possible that your computer is NOT powerful enough to play the material you are recording from the camera.

Before even going down that road ( what you are actually recording in the camera ) can you tell me what options you HAVE to record stuff in your camera ?

For example, can you record 4k ? Can you record 1080p ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, the camera can record 4K but I have been using XAVC S HD which is full HD,  50p and 50M at 50fps

I"m not an expert but I'm told the computer is powerful enough - after all, it's a gaming machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked up your computer and you should be OK to do some cool stuff on it. Mostly I think it's worth trying to make things work for you with what you have. I think you should first start out by recording 1080p and not record 4k yet. Just to make sure you computer is OK to handle the material.

Once that is done you may be able to record 4k and use proxies to do that too... but that's down the road a ways.

My laptop is very similar to yours. 

So I'm sure things will work out OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great.  I recorded 4K for another project - using a fisheye lens and then cutting a normal 16x9 frame out of it so the panning and zooming could be done in software - I didn't do the tech on that of course, I'm far too stupid / ignorant for that stuff, but it worked ok - this was for a live theatre show live-streamed between two locations and mixed together, and it worked.  But this project ordinary HD is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1530/v1/en/contents/TP0001091751.html

=============
try this setting

===============
1920x1080 25p 16M
8 GB: 1 h
16 GB: 2 h
32 GB: 4 h 10 m
64 GB: 8 h 25 m

==============

I'm assuming you are NOT in the U.S. and your power grid is 50Hz.

So shooting 25fps is good for you.

Format your SD card ( which erases everything )
choose this setting above

Shoot test...  5 seconds...

tell us what happens...AFTER you move files from SD card to your DATA DISC.

Your SSD should be used only for O.S. and programs.
Your Data disk ( probably called drive D ) is the mechanical HDD ( i TB ).

Make a folder on the data disk called SOURCE FILES and dump everything from SD card in there for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so yes I did that.

the only 1080 25p 16M option was called MP4 - what that actually means in this case I don't know.  The XAVC option only had a higher spec - 25p 50M (or higher).

I should do a much more rigorous test, but hand-held, the playback from the D drive is still juddery - which is much more noticeable when played back on a large monitor.  But it's not as bad as the XAVC S HD material I have.

Oddly, I noticed that even with an HDMI cable coming out of the computer but not connected to anything, there was mare judder on the laptop screen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to help without narrowing down things step by step sorta. Like, first shoot something the least challenging to any computer ( the easiest thing for any computer to play ).  After shooting that sample ( a few seconds of panning is enough) put it from SD card into HD. Play it in VLC or something like that.  See what happens.

There's too many variables and unknowns for me cause I'm not a professional troubleshooter etc. to just guess what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

was this ever resolved as i have exacly the same issues.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines