• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Panning video jerks in timeline

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a sony fdr-ax53 shooting 4k at 25fps.

The footage on the camera when viewed there is no studdering on the panning shots but as soon as I transfer it to the computer to edit there is a shuddering.

The timeline is set up to match the 25fps. I've tried using the warp stabilizer in the affects but that doesnt work.

Any ideas how to get these shots smooth flowing like the original.

I'm running windows 10 fully updated with all video drivers updated to.

Thanks

Below is a sample file showing it 

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you Dropbox a sample of the original camera file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for reply. I will do later. It will be around 500mb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a quick look. I have juddering in the pan on both your original camera file and a Prores copy. Are you sure your footage from the camera is clean, the artifacts I am seeing look a lot like the juddering you get with pans shot at a low framerate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just viewed it on my HD not 4k TV and it plays fine direct from the camera.

I'm using the setting of 100mbps on the camera and using a fast micro sd card. Photo below.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you see the studdering when you output to a high resolution file and view it in quicktime player or VLC?  Computer monitors are not always the ideal way to view your premiere timeline.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I save it in premiere as a H.264. File in a lower resolution.

Don't understand why it can record onto the media with no shuddering but as soon as I view the raw file without editing it on 2 different monitors it shudders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere is an editing program and there are sometimes these sort of issues with playback unless you're using a specialized output card feeding a broadcast monitor.  Try outputting as a high resolution file and play it as I suggested and confirm there's a problem with the output... or not.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a dedicated graphics card linked to an HD monitor and a standard monitor.  I don't have a broadcast monitor.

I don't have issue with my drones footage at 4k.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you try and export at a high quality format and see if the shuddering is still an issue playing back outside of Premiere?   Would help us figure out if this is just a display problem or if Premiere is screwing with the footage...

I see this kind of thing occasionally, but the exports look fine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I've saved it as a high resolution and played it back and the one I uploaded to YouTube has it on still.

Just seems odd that as soon as its transferred to a pc it is shuddering.

Not sure what else I can try.

Guess it would play back ok in the camera itself. The problem is when it's transferred.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you say it plays back fine on the camera, are you just judging it on the camera's built in flip screen?  Probably not the ideal comparison to your premiere output...  Can you attach the camera directly to a large screen via hdmi and see how the playback looks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I tried it via the hdmi out of the camera and it played fine on the TV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you see the shuddering on both the source and program monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried it straight from the memory card to pc USB port And played it on 2 different monitors but it still does it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my question was regarding playback within premiere.  Premiere shouldn't be adding anything to the file if you're playing it in the source monitor at full resolution...  bwdik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what else I can try.

By @warrenr9740958

Have you tried to place the clip on a USB stick and insert it to the TV? (Either the original clip or a mp4-file created by Premiere Pro.)

Any TV panel will playback 25p better, iow less stuttering, than a standard computer panel.

Nothing happened when you tranferred the file, it´s just the nature of low framerate. Low framerate+panning=stuttering (unless one pan very slowly)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always pan slowly. Its annoying as I wanted to use clips mixed in with aerial video that is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why is it that my drone pans smoothly at the same frame rate and 100mbps and in 4k yet my ground camcorder is terrible with shuddering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a lot more than frame rate and bitrate that effect the smoothness of pans.  A professional camera  has a "virtual" shutter speed that you can adjust and will effect how the pans will display.  I haven't worked with either of your cameras, so I don't know if you can adjust this setting.    And you'd really need to setup the same shot with the same pan to properly compare your 2 cameras...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why doesn't it do it on a stationary shot.

Means my camcorder is useless for recording anything other than still shots.

More bizarre that the actual footage is fine when played on a TV.

Should I lower the frame rate to 60?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we're beginning to get somewhere.  I thought you said your footage was 25fps.  When you say lower the frame rate to 60, you're actually increasing the frame rate and yes this will probably make the movement smoother....

and what's the framerate of your drone footage?  60fps?  If so, that's probably where the difference lies.  

But still not sure why you're getting smoother playback outside of Premiere unless the camera is adding some blur or another effect when it's playing...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Sorry I meant to try a lower mbps to 60.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only thing the camera has is stabilisation like a gamble inside. I've set it to active but tried medium and still the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines