• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Panning video jerks in timeline

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a sony fdr-ax53 shooting 4k at 25fps.

The footage on the camera when viewed there is no studdering on the panning shots but as soon as I transfer it to the computer to edit there is a shuddering.

The timeline is set up to match the 25fps. I've tried using the warp stabilizer in the affects but that doesnt work.

Any ideas how to get these shots smooth flowing like the original.

I'm running windows 10 fully updated with all video drivers updated to.

Thanks

Below is a sample file showing it 

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lowering the bitrate will not help.  What is the frame rate of your drone footage that you're comparing to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same 25fps and the timeline is matched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded your original file and it played back fine on my M1 MacBook. There was no "studdering" but it did have that "look" when something shot in 24 or 25 FPS pans. Lower frame rate video like that always does that.

You're saying it plays back fine on your TV, does your TV have motion interpolation turned on? Different manufacturers call it Trumotion or Motionflow. This artificially smooths out your footage. This is an active process on your TV though. You can test this by disabling motion interpolation on your TV and seeing if the camera footage still plays back "smoothly."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My TV is 15 years old lol. Just an HD one.

If I shoot with camera at a higher frame rate then it won't match my drone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your camera's shutterspeed vs the shutter speed of the drone? At this point I'm guessing that's the difference you are seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at this as well, this has some more technical info about panning

https://www.red.com/red-101/camera-panning-speed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And try shooting at a higher shutter speed and see if you get a smooth
pan. If so, then try dropping it into a timeline that matches your drone
footage and see what it looks like. There are a few things to try if
you're not happy how it looks in that timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I meant higher frame rate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My camera only has 25fps at 4k but have to drop to HD quality for 50fps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worth a test.  I don't think this is a premiere problem, but a limitation of the camera....  bwdik...   Have you tried playing a clip transferred from the camera without importing into premiere in a program like vlc?

https://www.videolan.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will give it a go on that but it still did it on windows player.

Does this mean that a camera set at 25fps is no good for premiere?

Seems odd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. There are more variables then framerate at play. You need to factor shutter speed into the equation here.

Like I asked earlier: What's your camera's shutterspeed vs the shutter speed of the drone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's happening in windows player, the problem is the source file, not premiere.  

and Jeff's pointing you in the right direction.  try adjusting the shutter speed (which seems to be possible according to the specs on the b and h product page...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive tried shooting at 100 shutter speed and imported into prmiere and made a lower proxy of the file but as you can see by the file below (adobe premiere) it is still shuddering.

I then did a screen recording of the windows player and if viewed small it plays will hardly any shuddering (win player small). But when you play it full screen it shudders (win player big)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you do another test, shooting at 1/50 shutter speed, and do a pan and see if the issue persists? 1/50 is "technically" the correct shutter speed for 25 FPS.

Just to be clear, this issue you are experiencing has nothing to do with Premiere. Some quick research indicates a lot of users using XAVC cameras have this same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But how can it be resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, here's a great video talking about the details: https://vimeo.com/19603537

It's like your setting of 1/100 is too fast and creating zero motion blur which is mistaken for choppiness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will Look at the shutter speed but the drone is always on automatic.

Surely I would have to adjust the shutter speed constantly.

Guess shutter speed should be 50 as double the frame rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, rule of thumb is shutter speed should be at least double. But the fact that the drone shutter speed is automatic does not mean that it doesn't matter.

In some cases, yes, you would need to adjust the shutter speed, depending on what you're shooting, lighting conditions, whether or not you have to match visual styles with another camera, etc. Unfortunately, a lot of people in this day and age think making good video is as easy as an iPhone commercial implies or that Premiere should just be able to fix everything. An expensive camera â‰  perfect footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just recorded at 100fps and will upload that to premiere and see what that is like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To rule out Premiere you could try your footage in the free version of Resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still don't understand why I can pan with my drone shot in auto and its perfect at 25fps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find out what settings your drone shoots in (shutter speed, etc) so we have something to compare

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok will do on Saturday and report back.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Shoots in auto mode most of the time and I always pan slowly with it. Its 25fps 150mps.

Guess I just have to not pan with my other camera.

Guess film makers and TV crew have over 2k cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines