• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Peculiar Problem With Projects in Premiere Pro 15.2

Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Premiere Pro 15.2 build 35 loaded on a 2019 MacBook Pro running Mac OS Big Sir 11.4. I have reason to believe there is a problem with the Thunderbolt/USBC architecture in either Premiere or possibly, but not likely, the OS. I can't say with 100% certainty, but I believe that my problem began after a Premiere update of which there have been several since I began to experience the problem. I don't recall doing any major OS updates prior to or since the problem appeared.

Here's what's happening: I use an external drive for all my project files and footage. The Macbook itself has virtually only the OS and the apps installed. The drive is a TerraMaster D2-310 USB C External Hard Drive RAID Enclosure: Seen Here  and is connected via a, Hiearcool 9 in 2 Laptop Docking Station Thunderbolt Multiport Docker USB C Dongle: Seen Here. I use this device because it allows me to utilize its HDMI ports for additional displays as well as other USB devices to be occasionally plugged in as well as ethernet for internet access. Within recent weeks, when I attempt to open a previously working Premiere Pro project as I always did without issue, the project begins to load but hangs when it's loading content and I get the tell-tale spinning pinwheel on the Mac and ultimately, I have to force quit the app.

I recently discovered that, if I bypass the dongle and plug the drive directly into the Mac, the project launches just fine and I can then plug in the dongle so I have my displays and I am able to work just fine on my project until I need to open another project then I have to repeat the process over again. I suspect this is a problem only with Premiere because no other apps are similarly affected. I can open After Effects, Photoshop, Lightroom, and Audtion projects without incident while the dongle, additional displays, and external drive are in use. This tells me a Premiere is itself the culprit and that a recent update has perhaps hosed up something in USB/Thunderbolt. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can appropriately address this issue with Adobe? Is anyone else experiencing similar issues with Premiere? Any and all help is appreciated!

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

UPDATE...

Apparently, the most recent update to Premiere solved this issue. I made no hardware changes and suddenly my cheapo dock is working wonderfully again. Interesting. Go figure. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried updating to 15.4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies for the delay in following up. I was embroiled in a rather important project and didn't want to update Premiere until that project was completed. I did just now install 15.4 and sadly it did not resolve the issue. The same behaviors are being exhibited. Thank you, however, for the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert.
Sorry about that. I can give some advice. It's up to you if you'd like to take it.

If I detect a problem with any piece of hardware, I take it out of my hardware workflow chain. You did that, so good job.

Unfortunately, you immediately look at Premiere Pro as the culprit. Could be, but I think it's hardware. 🙂 Your setup worked fine before 15.4 or not? You weren't clear on that. If not: my advice is that you likely need a higher quality device that has the throughput you need for Premiere Pro.

On Amazon and other such sites, there are many poor options for hardware at the lower price levels. Granted, it's easy to get sucked into those. These might work for apps with lower throughput requirements, but not NLEs. These are beasts with unique system requirements that you need to be on top of.

I have something similar for my laptop from a manufacturer that has been around and has a reputation for quality (OWC). This works perfectly with Premiere Pro. I've found that the cheaper devices out there can ruin an editor's workflow.

It is better to outfit your studio with gear that is tested and true by other editors. Throw that weak link in your chain aside and see if a higher quality docking station might work for you better. If it does not (keep the receipt!), please let us know and we can keep troubleshooting. I hope we can help.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Kevin! Your post made me laugh. I do have to claim guilt as a cheapskate, albeit primarily out of necessity. It's not so much that I jumped immediately to Premiere being the culprit. It's been going on for a couple months now and since it hasn't necessarily crippled me, I've had time to really spend time troubleshooting it and trust me, I've juggled a lot of ideas around while doing so prior to finally posting this.

Normally, I'd agree that it's a hardware issue IF it hadn't worked perfectly for the better part of a year prior to this problem. I do understand the demands of NLE's, believe me, I've spent thousands of dollars over the last 25 or so years trying to keep up. But in this case, nothing physically changed in the system or hardware. However, there have been several changes and updates to Premiere. Every other app, however. Adobe or not, works as it always did since I deployed the hardware. To me, at the very least, this seems to point in Premiere's general direction. And if the hardware is somehow failing, why is it affecting just one app and not the whole system or at least another one or two applications? 

Regardless, I'll probably end up doing as you suggest and start saving up my pennies to purchase the OWC Dock. (Much to my wife's shagrin, lol) But if the problem persists, what's next? A few grand for a new MacBook? Honestly, this is all Apple's fault anyway. They felt the need to remove all the tried and true methods of connection and force us all into the world of finicky adapters to be able to use anything we have or go broke buying new equipment. Just can't win! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the deal, though. Could be a thing that has, indeed, changed in Premiere Pro and now the requirement is higher. With each passing version, system requirements move up and up and up. One you may have slipped by in the past is now no longer an exception. Case in point, I have to update all my Mojave machines to move up to Beta. Yes, also, there could be a bug.

There is also the possibility that a project is simply corrupt or not playing nice over time. One can import old projects into new and that can help repair things. That's an easy thing to try.

Another thing is to drill down into your Adobe folder and make sure that permissions are set to Read and Write for the folder and for all the folders enclosed within (Premiere!). These can get reset in macOS sometimes and can really get the SBOD (Spinning Beachball of Death) turning.

You should also dust all your preview files, media cache, prefs. I would.

If worse comes to work, an erase and reinstall is the magic solution I have learned as a quality engineer at Apple and here in support at Adobe. I recommend what the system requirements say.

That OWC device is sweet. I should get a commission from them. I've solved some weird bugs for them too!

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking at OWC and discovered they have a mini version of the dock which looks really interesting. Not only from a pricepoint perspective but from a compact perspective as well. Any experience with or knowledge of that? In all honesty, I really only need the dock to accommodate two HDMI displays and ethernet all of which the mini has. It would be right up my alley.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UPDATE...

Apparently, the most recent update to Premiere solved this issue. I made no hardware changes and suddenly my cheapo dock is working wonderfully again. Interesting. Go figure. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines