Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen tool doesn't work on video or audio tracks

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Folks!

I am trying to change luminance and volume levels on the video and audio tracks, respectively, on the timeline. I expand the tracks, then use the pen tool to create anchor points/keyframes. That works fine. However, when I clisk on those keyframes and try to move them up or down to change the luminance or volume levels, nothing happens. I can move the anchor points from side to side along the timeline, but not up and down. I reinstalled Premiere Pro and still have the same problem. Thank you for any help you are able to give. 

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luminance from which effect?

Volume works fine here on 22.5 windows.

You can use the Selection tool instead of the Pentool too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to help, Ann. I'm working on a Mac and my question was a generic one, not related to any specific effect. I adjust the luminance and volume directly, manually from the timeline (fade video and sound up and down). Neither the selection tool nor the pen tool would grab and move the anchor points. It turns out that the latest Premiere Pro update was the culprit. I reverted to the previous version and that solved my problem. Based on how much we pay for the Adobe suite, I would expect software upgrades/updates to be thoroughly beta tested and vetted by company staff before being released. This is very basic, important functionality that should not have been lost due to an "upgrade." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vince,

Sorry about the frustration. When you refer to Luminance, I believe you referring to the Opacity function. By Anchor Points, I believe you mean "Keyframes" Do I understand you correctly? I hope so! 

f so, I tested out your problem and could not reproduce any problems in the current version. 

You may have simply disabled a control. First, check the Timeline Display Settings menu (the wrench/spanner) and see if you have Keyframes enabled. They should be.

You may have a project-specific problem with your sequence or project if controls are enabled. To remedy this, copy and paste your clips into a new sequence and see if that works. If that still doesn't work, try a new project.

It is an editing "best practice" to avoid updating the software mid-project. That can protect you against any such occurrences. Sorry, that happened.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding, Kevin.

It was the latest version of Adobe Premiere that was the culprit. I use the keyframes on the timeline to fade up/down both the video and audio. I was able to create keyframes and move them from side to side, but not up and down to change the levels. When I reverted to the previous version of Premiere ( version. 22.6.2, Build 2) from the latest version for Mac, that fixed the problem. I hadn’t made any changes to any controls in quite a while. The only variable that changed was the update.

Using the latest version of Premiere Pro, I had created a new project using different camera footage. It yielded the same result; keyframes wouldn’t move up and down. That was when I decided to revert to the previous version. Doing so solved the problem.

I am using a Mac Book Pro 16” 2019 with macOS Monterey, version 12.4.
Processor 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9.
Memory 64GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

The update was definitely the culprit. I would like to be able to update this and my other Adobe products without worrying about loss of functionality. Hopefully my experience will go into some sort of user database, as I doubt that I’m the only one this happened to. Every other program on my computer works flawlessly and it is virus free.

Vince Subia

> Hi Vince,
>
> Sorry about the frustration. When you refer to Luminance, I believe you referring to the Opacity function. By Anchor Points, I believe you mean "Keyframes" Do I understand you correctly? I hope so!
>
>
> f so, I tested out your problem and could not reproduce any problems in the current version.
>
>
> You may have simply disabled a control. First, check the Timeline Display Settings menu (the wrench/spanner) and see if you have Keyframes enabled. They should be.
>
>
> You may have a project-specific problem with your sequence or project if controls are enabled. To remedy this, copy and paste your clips into a new sequence and see if that works. If that still doesn't work, try a new project.
>
>
> It is an editing "best practice" to avoid updating the software mid-project. That can protect you against any such occurrences. Sorry, that happened.
>
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin
>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm on the same system and version of Premiere Pro, Vince. That said, I am on macOS 12.5.1. You may want to try that version or later, as well.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines