• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Performance better with GPU acceleration OFF???

Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all!

PPro 2019 ver. 13.1

My project is 4K with proxies via the cineform preset.

No effects or CC on any of the footage.

Performance during playback with GPU acceleration turned on is stuttering and simply useless.

Turn back to software only and playback smooths out.  SMH

My computer specs are fairly high. This should not be happening so I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2687W v2 @ 3.40GHz

3.40 GHz (2 processors)

56.0 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

NVLink Bridge

Driver ver. 431.70

3 Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD's

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried it with one card disabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not.

I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason Ann asked that as it has been rather noted that Premiere gets twitchy with multiple 'heavy' GPUs on the machine, especially in bridged mode. I work a lot with colorists, who have heavy discussions on how with X app you can run three mid-cost GPUs and it works great, but on Y app you're better off with one massive GPU in solo mode. And which GPUs to use for both types of work.

Premiere is typically more "performant" with a single GPU, though sometimes people put a massive GPU in a rig with only middling CPU/RAM. And then wonder why that GPU sits idle most of the time. But, well ... duh ... for what Premiere uses the GPU for, the CPU/RAM system is only sending enough out to the powerful GPU to make it run a few cycles now and then.

The heart of overall performance with Premiere is the CPU/RAM/mobo combination. A fast (3.8Ghz or better) CPU of 8-12 cores, with say 6-10 GB of RAM per core, on a mobo that has enough lanes ... and the lanes it has ... laid out so there are no mobo-created data bottlenecks. That gets a computer that flies with Premiere.

Sadly, many mobos aren't really designed to handle the massive continual throughput a video post-processing app needs to thrive. Or require someone very knowledgeable in such things to go into the BIOS and set things up properly. And many CPUs ... even spendy ones ... don't handle the types of processes that NLEs, grading apps, and fx apps need.

So one can get a computer with "Specs!" that have a ton of fast expensive cores, lots of RAM, spendy GPU ... and it's a dog in video post. Wrong CPU and mobo at that point. And over the years we've had a ton of people who just went out and spent money on a high-"spec" computer and then complained because it was worse in Premiere than their old one.

And ... the folks with strong tech knowledge here (including staff from both Puget & Safeharbor) would point out that their EXPENSIVE CPU was not on any list of anybody's as usable for video-post work. In testing, it's way lower in video post apps than CPU's half the cost ... and then the mobo it's on is a mess for video post data needs.

Learning this post-purchase doth not make for happy editors ... but hey, learn before buying, you get a better result.

Added note ... your CPUs were launched in Q3 of 2013 ... getting to be ancient tech by now, sadly. Nearly six years old.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil.

Extremely helpful!

I will be pulling one GPU for testing as soon as possible as well as looking into newer CPU's.

This was an "inherited" machine.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, "we" all are peers, we just wanna see people working, you know?

And ... my rig ... can't handle the high-Q ProRes formats my BMPCC4k doth put out for real-time playback, let alone the BRAW. Which I have to have the Autokroma plugins each for Premiere and MediaEncoder to use. Sigh.

So ... this late-summer/fall, Puget or Safeharbor gonna get a chunk of change from me. Gonna be an ouch, but then, gonna also work SO much faster ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VERY interested in what you end up getting!!!

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yea ... I spend an hour or so a week surfing their two sites for info. For several years, I've been all Intel/Nvidia because well for an Adobe-centric workflow, that was "it". AMD came out with some chips over the last year-plus that were interesting but ... not quite "there" yet it seemed.

Well now ... the last month or so, the specs from testing from Puget has gotten real interesting. Even with Premiere/AfterEffects, there's some AMD kit that now rivals mid-range Intel/Nvidia combos for at times less moolah.

And over the next month or so, AMD is dropping several new CPUs.

So ... yea, it's an interesting time, and I've no clue whatever as to what I'm going to end up with.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines