• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Permiere hangs (crashes) when selecting specific merged clips

New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m working on a documentary. I have several merged clips (created from separate audio and video assets), that when selected, crash premiere (endless beachball).

I’m on a new 16” Mac book pro with updated OS. The project is stored on the internal SSD. Any timeline that is associated with these problematic clips play and scrub without any issues (from multiple bins). Original media also plays without issue. It’s only when I try to select these specific clips directly, does the issue occur.  I can’t even select the problematic clips. I just try to select them and Premiere freezes with the beach ball. I discovered this when trying to view the end of the clip to make sure all the footage was in a timeline.

Things I’ve done to try to fix the issue: Updated all software with restarts. Reset preferences. Cleared all media caches. Created new project and imported old project into it. The issue still persists only with these specific clips. The clips are in several separate bins, and other clips within the bins select and play without issue. The original un-merged camera video also selects and plays without issue.

One thing that happened just before this issue: in an editing session, the project had a few momentary glitches when trying to save. Any thoughts?!

Specs

Macbook Pro M1 2021 16 inch

Monterey 12.3.1

Premiere Pro 22.3.1 build 2

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the video has glitches in it it can cause an error in Premiere. You may want trim the video and create a new video where there are no glitches in the file and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just encountered this same problem. It's all the clips I've merged whether it has glitches or not. The most recent update seems to have triggered this for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kendrad57257741,

We're sorry about the poor experience. For testing purposes, would you mind running the app in Rosetta mode & check if it's working properly?

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem. I merged clips from my video camera with the higher quality audio from my lav mic (the "merge clips" function is set to remove the original audio and replace it with the better audio), the clips work fine and play just fine in the preview window, but as soon as I try to drag the clip onto the timeline I get the endless beachball and I have to force quit Premiere. Is there anything to be done about this? I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling Premiere. This is a huge issue as it is making it impossible for me to edit my project unless I want to manually realign the audio every time I add a new clip to my timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi nataliea,

Sorry about that. Is this a standard project or a team project? Let me know.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply! It is a standard project. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Best,

Natalie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on the issue? I am having what sounds like the same problem. After merging video and audio clips, I can play the merged clips in the preview window and mark in/out points. When I attempt to drag to the timeline, Premiere simply crashes. I can drag the whole merged clip from the project window to the timeline, and everything is fine. As soon as I try to drag from the preview window, Premiere crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, I'm a great believer in workarounds (although it's always nice to solve the issue, it's also sometimes necessary to just get the job done).  Any reason why you can't just trim the merged clip down in the timeline rather than marking an in and out in the source monitor and then drag it to the timeline?

And to dig in to this and see if there's anything obvious, please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card and your source properties and sequence settings...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am having this exact problem. Copletely different computer. Merged clisp were working mostly perfectly a few updates ago. This is crazy. 
Premiere 22.6.2
OS 12.6.1

iMac 18,2  32 GB Ram 3.6 Quad i7 Rad Pro 560 4 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it was working ok in a previous version of Premiere 22, revert to that version...    To reinstall a previous version, open creative cloud and click on the ellipsis (the 3 dots) to the far right of Premiere 22 and choose "other versions"

And what are the properties of your source clips?  Might give us a clue to the cause of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RedRaw and .wav were the source files. I've used the same files for 6 years to test process and this weas the first time this happenned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I did reset the cache and the problem did stop. Then it started again after 10 or so edits. 
I then reset the cache again and then reset the preferences (Open premiere while holding ALT/OPTION on a MAC) and editing and dragging clips was smooth as ever. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that if I add any markers to the clip before dragging it to the timeline this will cause it to crash Premiere every time. If I don't add any markers it will let me drag the clips to the timeline. The reason I was adding markers is because of another Premiere bug which makes it so that I cannot set in and out points on merged clips that I just created unless I first shut down Premiere and then reopen it. Setting markers was initially my work around to save myself from having to do that, but then the crashing started so now I just exit Premiere after merging my clips and reopen it. I can set in and out points on my merged clips and drag them to the timeline, but I never set any markers until the clips are on the timeline. I hope this helps you! Who knows if your problem will be the same at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps if you used the more appropriate tool this wouldn't happen? And yes, my suggestion will sound strange.

The Merged clip process was designed to be only used as a quick timeline tool to 'join' audio & video so you can move them about, trim & such. That's all, it wasn't actually designed as the "normal" method for joining video clips with separately recorded audio.

And because this was designed for the above, there are a TON of limitation on them. Such as .. .they will not make it into any XML/EDL process correctly. Normally, the audio clip isn't even referenced in those forms. Top & Tail Q/W edit shortcuts don't work with them ... and several other things.

The designed process for this ... is the multicam process. Yes, it doesn't sound like it, as well, it sounds like that is ONLY for having multiple video files. Which is "obvious" but wrong.

For example ... you can have a bin with 10 video clips, each with a separate recorded audio clip. Select all, "create multicam" ... and it will make 10 different 'multicam' clips for you. All with the single audio & video file.

And ... those will normally pass through XML/EDL workflows. Edit on timelines as "normal" clips. And here's a bit, excerted from the opening chapter of their ...

Adobe Long-form and Episodic Best Practices Guide

Merge Clips No No Statement.PNG

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I will try that. I'm no expert in Premiere just using it to edit very basic YouTube videos. It's nice to learn some new techniques! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally understood!

This is one of many things in the app ... that ain't what they seem. Or ... from the names and descriptions used, the function seems totally backwards from what you'd expect.

So it results a ton of stumbling around until each of us learns all these many booby-traps laid out ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will take a look at your suggestion, but I'd just like to point out this post I came across on Adobe's website instructing users to use the "Merge Clips" function when synchronizing audio and video. Synchronizing audio and video with Merge Clips 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also read their Long Form explanation on Merged clips I posted above?

As it's not my idea. It's the engineer's official way to fully join any video with audio and keep the audio metadata in the join.

By their own statements, Merge clips does not do that. Which is why merged clips cannot be used in any XML/EDL/OMF/AAF workflows.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've started looking through the guide, and although I don't 100% understand what it's talking about, I am excited to try using the multicam tool for this. I just found it initially a little confusing to see both guide posts side-by-side seemingly saying different things. I see what you mean about the various uses of tools in Premiere not always being immediately obvious. Thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had numerous conversations at NAB with the devs on this and some other things that are perhaps named in a less than obvious way. Haven't got a thing changed though. To the engineers, it (mostly) all makes perfect sense.

So there's always things to learn about the tools as you go farther into this app. Sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as usual, Neil is dead right about this...  And that's why if you want to master Premiere, it's really a very good idea to monitor this forum so you're aware of these kind of "gotchas."  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And oh my, are there gotchas lying in waiting  ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

around every corner...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines