• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photo Flash causing footage rendering problems

Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm editing a bunch of fashion related videos, and I'm including some footage of photography shoots, where a still photography flash strobe is occasionally going off. Not always, and not every time in the same edits, I get about a second of weird grey pixelation craziness partially taking over the screen during and immediately after the strobe going off. (I've attached a screen capture)

Anybody else having this issue? Any work-arounds?

Project is due in a week, and I need to solve these rendering issues.

Thanks,

Dave

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Ok, I figured this out. I have a pack of presets from Motion Craver, through VideoHive. They're the "Motion Pro Premiere pack." And I'm using some animated title typography... and that's what is causing the issue!

If I render to either H265, H264, or MOV 422 LT, the glitching is always there to some degree.

What is causing it, is having the that "MP_Effects Title 03_ Liquid Fill.aegraphic" on-screen while a flash strobe is going off.

No matter what the video format or settings are set to, the ren

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...I get about a second of weird grey pixelation craziness partially taking over the screen during and immediately after the strobe going off. (I've attached a screen capture)

By @DaveRizzWork

Rendering as render the timeline or render as in exporting the footage? If the latter, try to use the QuickTime as Format and export a short clip as Apple ProRes LT and see how that looks.

Where does the source footage come from, iow video camera, smartphone, or?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'll try that. And I meant rendering out an edit. The playback of the rendered timeline does not seem to cause the error. It's just when I render out the edit as a new file.

And the original footage is from a Canon R5, and in the original footage, there is about two frames of flash, that basically shows like 2/3 of the frame as blasted out white, and that 2/3 of white moves down the 2 frames, but I don't see any other errors or distortion other than those 2, possibly 3 frames (at most) of partial white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the duration of the flash working against the camera's travelling shutter that's your problem. And that's a real bugger at times ... because it's only affecting part of the frame.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to edit out the partial white frames manually.

Most of the time you wont even see they have been edited out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I was thinking this would be my last resort. lol.  I'm editing 13 videos, and across them all, there's a lot of flashes... but I think what I might do, is create a color matte that's only 3 frames long, and just drop it on top of flashes... 🤷‍:male_sign:

And I'm rendering the 422 LT version now, (without any white blocker mattes) to see if it was the H265 processing that was making the flash mangle so much more of the frames. I will report back on how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and in the original footage, there is about two frames of flash, that basically shows like 2/3 of the frame as blasted out white, and that 2/3 of white moves down the 2 frames, but I don't see any other errors or distortion other than those 2, possibly 3 frames (at most) of partial white.

By @DaveRizzWork

That´s beacuse the camera uses a CMOS sensor and that will give you rolling shutter issues such as this issue, iow problems with camera flashes. Try the Rolling Shutter Reapir filter that can be located in the Effects panel. I am unsure if that filter fixes camera flashes. I have no test files to test with at the moment.

Are the source files from the camera .mp4 or .mov?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolling shutter effect is imo only for slanted images not flashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, I figured this out. I have a pack of presets from Motion Craver, through VideoHive. They're the "Motion Pro Premiere pack." And I'm using some animated title typography... and that's what is causing the issue!

If I render to either H265, H264, or MOV 422 LT, the glitching is always there to some degree.

What is causing it, is having the that "MP_Effects Title 03_ Liquid Fill.aegraphic" on-screen while a flash strobe is going off.

No matter what the video format or settings are set to, the rendering works fine on parts of the videos WITHOUT the type on screen. But as soon as those Motion Pro assets are on screen, and the flash goes off, the distortion shows up.

So my work-around is to drop a frame or two of a white color matte in the effected flash shots. All good then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter what the video format or settings are set to, the rendering works fine on parts of the videos WITHOUT the type on screen. But as soon as those Motion Pro assets are on screen, and the flash goes off, the distortion shows up.

So my work-around is to drop a frame or two of a white color matte in the effected flash shots. All good then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines