Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Playback and exporting speed TANKED when reaching 2nd clip in timeline

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some Adobe updates a couple weeks ago and ever since this, playback preview freezes up when a 2nd clip comes in (40% window within main clip) and exporting used to be super fast and it is, until it reaches that 2nd clip area then it tanks as well.

I use 4k video from my iphone to record 1 minute guitar videos, and usualy have a second clip crossfade in a 40% size area in the bottom right of the video. Whenever I bring the video file in, I create a 720p proxy file for use. It has always worked perfectly until recent updates and I do not know why playback and exporting speeds completely TANK now. I have always left on hardware encode and it usualy doesn't take more than a minute. I export 4k youtube and 1080p instagram and they both take like 5-6 minutes now. I have changed nothing and it worked flawlessly before. All windows updates and GPU drivers current.

Ryzen 5950X, 32GB ram, RTX 3080, all NVME drives.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks!

TOPICS
Export , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In general phone footage is going to be very unpredictable in their behavior since you have a combo of HEVC and Variable Framerate. HEVC is probably the most complex, hardware-intensive media you can work with these days, and Variable Framerate introduces the complete wildcard in behavior. Editing software is based on Constant Framerate, so having the framerate constantly fluctuating up and down causes lots of different issues, not only with playback, but encoding, errors, etc.

When you have multiple video streams playing simultaneously, that's twice the work that has to happen to decode that video, and when you are working with challenging media that's HEVC/VFR, it's going to have a noticeable impact. It could be that whatever combination you have on those particular clips together at that time is really messing things up.  

You could experiment with turning off Hardware Accelerated Encoding & Decoding in Preferences > Media. Or try rolling back to an earlier Premiere version in case that handles it better. But yeah - phone media is pain.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines