Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback failing, Premiere crashes, Pproj freezes re-loading

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New issue I've been encountering today. As the title says-

-I will be editing fine for 30-45 minutes. Nothing will provoke it, but the playback monitor will randomly freeze. This is followed by being able to scrub through the timeline (no audio), but the preview monitor stays frozen.

-After, I will go to exit Premiere. This results in the "Premiere Not Responding" screen, so I will force the program to exit.

-Upon reloading the project, the loading screen will get stuck around 70% in the same spot every time.

Worth noting, this isn't a catastophic issue as a simple restart will allow me to resume for another 30-45 minutes. However, as you can assume, it is very frustrating to get a flow going only ot have to stop, restart, and reopen everything at least once an hour.

Thoughts?

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Information please  ... OS/CPU/RAM/GPU, type of media and effects used in that sequence.

Have you dumped your cache files?

Have you worked in another project and had this?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply -- 

Windows 10/AMD Ryzen Theadripper 3970x/Cosair 96gb/NVIDIA RTX 3090ti

Only media used is a series of png images, approx 2mb each. 2480x3500. 4k sequence.

Effects used- Red Giant Universe/Camera Shake (not freezing when used. The issues usually occur when a new png is dragged into the timeline)

I have not dumped my cache.

I have not had this issue with any other project. I do the exact same kind of video for work, so also worth noting I've done this exact same kind of video/project before about 300 times. Nothing has changed between this one and the others in terms of plug-ins, effects, source files, etc.

Notes: I just updated Premiere to the newest release. Will update on experience. Was about 3 releases out-of-date due to issue with Red Giant which is required for my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Updating did not solve the issue, just stopped the "Not Responding" problem. So now all the previous issues are still present, but I can exit Premiere without it crashing. It still will not reload the project though.

I did notice that as I copied and pasted the aforementioned Camera Shake effect, the screen froze. So I will play with this a little (Just updated Red Giant today, so it's possible that is the issue)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try:

01. reset the preferences

02. delete the render files (video previews)

03. switch renderers from project settings(try software only)

04. Try to change Video Preview settings in Sequence Settings to QuickTime ProRes

if software only renderer works for you, you might need to consider 

updating your graphics card driver, or update any third party plugins 

that could be the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to update this for anyone who happens to have the same issue. The problem is still not resolved, but I have discovered the issue IS Maxon/Red Giant. 

The problem lies in "Red Giant Service.exe" losing communication with Maxon. Likely a piracy control thing (my version is legit)

Instead of restarting my computer, I found out I can end this process and start it again to regain control over the Maxon App (worth noting Red Giant is now owned by Maxon) though it is a little finicky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tx for reporting back, yeah Red Giant is now owned by Maxon and looks like 

there are issues that should be reported to them.

concerning any pirated installs, the one who decides to use pirated stuff

is the only one responsible for any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BEST SOLUTION
After a few days of dealing with this, this is the best workaround I've found so far.
When the screen becomes frozen
  -Open Task Manager (it can also already be opened and ready to go)
  -In details, go to Red Giant Service.exe > "Go To Services" > "Open Services" 
  -In Task Manager > Details, End Task for Red Giant.exe
  -In Serves, right-click Red  Giant.exe > start

This way, I'm not even having to restart Premiere, let alone my entire PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines