• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback Won't Stop

Engaged ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm about to pull my hair out. I just recently upgraded to the most recent version of Premiere Pro and now the playback doesn't seem to ever want to stop once it's started. It takes at least 10 seconds to stop and sometimes more. 

This just recently became a problem. I can try reverting back to an earlier version of Premiere, but I know if I go too far back I can't keep working on the project I'm currently editing. All of my drivers are up-to-date. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Specs:

Windows 11 64-bit

Asus TUF Gaming X570 mobo

Ryzen 9 5950X

64GB DDR4 RAM

SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD M.2 2TB Project Drive

Intel 660p M.2 2280 2TB OS Drive

RTX 3080 w/ latest Studio Drivers

Footage: Panasonic Lumix GH5S 4K 150Mbps 10-bit 

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Well, the next time I opened Premiere I started having the same issues again where playback wouldn't stop and Premiere was just laggy in general, even after exiting my RGB control software. I ended up uninstalling Premiere version 23.1 and reinstalled version 22.6.3. I had to convert my project so it would work with the older version, but everying is working perfectly now. So, I guess I'm going to wait for a while before trying the newest version again. At least until they come out with another

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I totally uninstalled Premiere Pro from my system, removing the preferences as well and then reinstalled the lastest version (23.1.0) again from scratch and this seems to have fixed the problem (at least so far). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the playback is stopping immediately now, even when playing back the footage at full resolution, but man is Premiere laggy. It's acting as if I'm getting 5fps in the software. When I'm using the program I can see my mouse just lagging like crazy as if the CPU is under load or there's barely any memory left.

If I navigate to another program, like Chrome, all of the sudden the computer seems fine even if Premiere is still open in the background, so it's definately Premiere that's causing the issue. Anyone else having this problem? Is there maybe a memory leak or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I may have found the issue after a lot of searching. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like my RGB control software for my computer may be causing Premiere to slow way down and become laggy. I have Asus Aura and when I shut it down, Premier seems to suddenly perform much better. It's odd because I've had the software running at the same time as Premiere since I built the computer a couple years ago. I've only noticed the issue since upgrading to Premiere 23.0. 

Anyway, if anyone else is having this issue, it might be worth trying to shut down any RGB control software you may have running and see if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the next time I opened Premiere I started having the same issues again where playback wouldn't stop and Premiere was just laggy in general, even after exiting my RGB control software. I ended up uninstalling Premiere version 23.1 and reinstalled version 22.6.3. I had to convert my project so it would work with the older version, but everying is working perfectly now. So, I guess I'm going to wait for a while before trying the newest version again. At least until they come out with another update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This fixed the same issue for me. It was literally impossible to cut anything with that lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask- did that lag get worse when you had your sequence zoomed in? I'm having the same issue but it doesn't happen when I have a general view of the sequence: it seems to only happen when it's zoomed in so I can't edit delicately. If I had any more hair to pull out from my head I totally would

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, i no longer can switch tools while playback is on, I have to stop it first. That gives another laggy feel but it seems to be avoidable, although I hate it. There are too many flaws is this version it seems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Windows? Which version of Premiere? Running Asus Aura? Let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm on Windows, using the last version of Premiere, not running Asus Aura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, so I think the Asus Aura thing may have partially fixed the issue, or it could have just been a coincidence that it got better when I shut it down, but it ultimately didn't fix the problem for me. Only rolling back to version 22.6.3 fixed the lagginess issue and it's been working fine since I've stayed on that version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I had time right now to roll back to v 22.6.3 and all. For now I'll just hope Adobe will eventually fix it? I shouldn't be paying for this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick Q: Do you have Asus Aura installed?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I can't remember if I was zoomed in specifically I often zoom in and out so I imagine it was an issue that happened regardless. For me it would specifically get bad when I was using multitrack videos and also a multicam on V1. If I rebooted my PC it would be good for 20 mins and then start lagging relentlessly which is crazy when I even edit with proxys. Shauns fix of going back a couple versions helped immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

NVIDIA? Try rolling back to the 517.40 drivers. The latest ones aren't working in NLE software like Premiere Pro. A lot of moving targets in hardware right now. I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Asus aura and yes I have the latest Nvidia drivers so that could be the issue but I rolled back Adobe premiere to 22.6.3 and haven't had an issue yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update on my end I've since rolled back my  NVIDIA drivers to the 517.40 (per Kevin's suggestion) and updated my premiere to the latest software version v23.2 and haven't had an issue. I've even noticed my computer's overall performance has been better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Blaise. I'm glad I was able to help. I'm also happy you returned with a solution that is affecting a good number of editors. You, in turn, are helping others. Cheers to that! Have a great weekend.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can open your newer project in an older version. There's lots of tutorials out there showing how to convert a newer project file to work with an older version of Premiere, but here's a YouTube video explaining it: https://youtu.be/BFh0hVsQZyg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines