• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Playhead/Editing Bug/Glitch (probably an easy fix, i'm just kinda dumb sometimes)

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, I need a little bit of help. I'm trying to edit a stupid gaming video I made with a buddy, but the playhead won't move when I try to scrub through the timeline. I have to press play/space bar in order for it to catch up to where I clicked. Every time I try to make an edit to a region, like audio/video, I have to also press play/space in order to see the change. This is my first time working on a video on my PC, and I have no idea what's wrong, and it's really frustrating. As of this post, my Premiere is up to date, I've restarted my PC several times, and it fixes itself if I copy and paste it all into a new project. But, I don't want to have to do that. Any and all help is appreciated, thank you so much in advance. Deleting Premiere and re-installing didn't do anything.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that the video you are editing is in a Variable Frame Rate. Try converting it into a Constant Frame Rate using something like Hand Break before importing it to Premiere Pro.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In addition to Handbrake (already recommended), Shutter Encoder is very easy to use.

What I like about it is that it's pop-up menu categorizes formats/CODECs based on their intended use as folliows:

- Editing codecs:

DNxHD, DNxHR, Apple ProRes, QT Animation, GoPro CineForm, Uncompressed

- Output codecs:

H.264, H.265, VP8, VP9, AV1, OGV, MPEG-2

- Broadcast codecs:

XDCAM HD422, AVC-Intra 100, XAVC, HAP

- Old codecs:

DV PAL, MJPEG, Xvid, WMV, MPEG-1

- Archiving codec:

FFV1

For your issue, you'd want to use Shutter Encoder to convert your game recordings to one of the "Editing codecs" (I'd go with ProRes 422 LT unless you're really tight on drive space in which case I'd go with ProRes 422 Proxy).

Shutter Encoder is completely free software without any limitations or advertising. It continues to exist thanks to donations.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines