• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playhead in timeline won't move (Premiere Pro CC 12.0.0)

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that after 10 minutes into editing something, the playhead in the timeline would stop moving, along with the sliders in the color correction panel. The only thing moving is the playhead in the preview panel. However, when I use my mouse to the drag the playhead in the timeline, it would still scrub through the timeline, it's just that the actual timeline playhead and the vertical line does not move. The same thing happens to the color correction panel. The sliders would not move, but it still adjusts the colors. I have to exit the program and restart it in order for the problem to go away (not for long). This problem is really slowing down my workflow.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Your screen recorder is almost certainly exporting VFR ... variable frame rate media, and that version of PrPro could choke on it, or play it ... but disconnected video from audio. I would recommend running your screen-captures through Handbrake to convert to CFR, then import that media into PrPro and see if that fixes your problem.

In Handbrake, make sure the size of the image is the same as your original in the far left "Picture" tab, in the Video tab, a level of at least 4.2 and near placebo,

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be a number of things or even concatenations. So ... let's start with some basics.

Hardware: OS/CPU/RAM/GPU/vRAM, the number and type of drives on that computer and how used for the program, media, and cache files.

In program: media used (codec-format/rate/size), and what created it; the sequence settings for frame-size/rate; what effects you're using; and if any third party programs or plug-ins have been involved.

Next ... have you tried deleting the cache/cache media files ... oh, is this only on one project, or if you create a new project, does it do this also?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Windows 10, Ryzen 1700, 16Gb DDR4, GTX 1070 with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM. I have one ssd for program and cache and one hdd for media files. My video clips are MOV files shot on a Nikon D5100, 23.98 fps, H2.64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4k or 1920x1080?

I note that it's not a bad machine, though not overly equipped with RAM. Hope that second HDD is internal ... hard drives on external aren't particularly speedy.

So, with H.264, you might consider using the included Cineform proxy preset. For new clips importing, use the create-proxy on ingestion route, but for a current project right-click a group of clips in a bin, select "Proxy/create proxies" and again use the included Cineform ones, pick one a bit smaller in frame-size than your media. Do NOT use the H.264 proxy preset ... no clue what that's even included. You want an intraframe codec like Cineform, DNxHD/R or ProRes for proxies as it's far easier on the CPU than in interframe H.264 or mov codecs.

Then go to the + on the far right of the Program monitor controls, and drag the Toggle Proxy icon from the 'available' ones to the controls. Click it to blue, PrPro uses the proxies. Click to gray, you're back to original media.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the problem has nothing to do with the codec or the proxies. The CPU and RAM usage are on the low side and the playback is very smooth. It's just that the playhead in the timeline would not move when I drag it, but it would still scrub through the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Seems totally then a GUI glitch. There's been some threads on trouble with scrubbingwith the CTI, I wonder if a forum search for scrubbing and CTI troubles would pull up something useful.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm having the exact same problem, except my problem begins whenever I export footage I record with my screen recorder into my project and re-opening the program doesn't help either. Are your snip tools, ext. to the left of your timeline missing as well? It's just a grey space. A solution to this problem would be great, I feel like i'm now paying monthly for a program that doesn't even work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which specific number-dot-number version of PrPro are you using?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017.0.2 v11.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen recorder is almost certainly exporting VFR ... variable frame rate media, and that version of PrPro could choke on it, or play it ... but disconnected video from audio. I would recommend running your screen-captures through Handbrake to convert to CFR, then import that media into PrPro and see if that fixes your problem.

In Handbrake, make sure the size of the image is the same as your original in the far left "Picture" tab, in the Video tab, a level of at least 4.2 and near placebo, with CFR little circle checked AND a specific number entered in the frame-rate box.

Neil

HandBrake download page:  https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Handbrake VFR Settings.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sir, i think you fixed my problem! Funny thing is that I've always converted with Handbrake.. it's just all I needed to do was adjust the placebo, encoder rate and quality. Thank you so much, you are the Software Salvation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help. When I first tried Handbrake, it took 4k media from my Samsung S7 at around 48Mbps, to 1080 at about 15Mbps. To say I was not amused would be a charming understatement. Ahem.

After I created a preset that 1) preserved original frame-size and 2) kept the compression DOWN (hey, it's already being recompressed, why mangle more than absolutely necessary?) I got files that actually were useful.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. but I'm not doing any sort of screen recording. This just started happening to me on CC v13.5, and I thought updating to v14 (2020) would solve it and it did not. When I open premiere it runs fine, as long as I don't go to my project panel and try and pull new media into the timeline, which causes the playhead to freeze and not move, even though my project monitor shows that the footage is scrubbing.. when I click on clips, they do not appear to be selected, and I can't use any drop down menus in my effect controls panel. Please any other work arounds that don't involve screen captures?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved my own problem, here's the fix. Thanks to this dude for finding out how to fix it. 

The problem comes from a buggy bin, so first you have to figure out which bin is causing this issue, then click the hamburger menu for that bin and close it, the project should work normally, then just reopen that bin and the problem appears to be fixed. Thanks HumerousGorgon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbeUQHnnwBk detailed video on how to fix.

Hope this helped a few of you! CREATORS AND VIDEOS - Fixes and Tips #1 | Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKQlrZSaNnw Automating Editing with Hotkeys | Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1SQwXg8BF8 Adobe Forums Username - Humerous Gorgon ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a lifesaver thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. This worked for me as well. Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, had this problem in PPCC2018 too. Just coming out of the bin in the project panel worked for me. I can replicate the problem by opening the bin again. 

Been using Premiere for work for the last 6/7 years and never run into this problem. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, omg it worked. Saved a call to Adobe. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Timbits89 Thank you!  This just worked for me as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This - I closed my text bin and it all started working again perfectly! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have Adobe commented on this issue? A known problem from 2017 and thankfully the community has developed a fix. I just switched from Da Vinci Resolve to Adobe Premiere Pro and this happened on day one so I'm worried I'll come to regret my decision! 😂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have noted if you've actually read through the thread that there are several things that can lead to this ... from VFR media to bad video drivers to underpowered systems for the media/effects in use.

So as a "known problem" ... it is almost always a local issue.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I mean is, I never had such a basic thing (whether derived from a local issue or not) when using the free version of Da Vinci Resolve on the same laptop. Otherwise enjoying Adobe Premiere Pro.

Another example has cropped up today though, in Da Vinci Resolve you click 'M' to add a marker and if you want to delete it you just click on it and press 'Delete'. Intuitive and never had any problems. In Adobe Premiere Pro it's 'M' to add but 'CTRL+ALT+M' to delete, a bit clunkier, and the shortcut isn't working for me. So I'm back on the forums and seeing lots of other people stuck with the problem too. Again, I'm sure I'll find the fix and iron out similar teething problems, but it's a bit frustrating to spend time on these things when I didn't have to for the free version of Da Vinci Resolve.

Angelo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily go into the keyboard shortcuts dialog and change most shorts to whatever you want. PrPRo is vastly more customizable than Resolve. Which I appreciate. Friend Joey D'anna hates that about PrPro ... to each their own.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think the longer I work with PrPro the more the strengths and benefits will become apparent over these little teething issues.

Angelo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines