Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playhead not stopping immediately when space bar pressed Premiere CC2020

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

Can anyone help... I'm using Premiere up to date (14.0.3) and have recently upgraded to a new Macbook Pro: (15-inch, 2019 / 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9 / 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 / Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB / Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB) and I'm now having issues with the playhead not stopping immediately when the spacebar is pressed during playback.

My previous macbook didn't have the above issue, but this one does.

The project has JPEGs in the timeline which I'm assuming is causing the issue, which I've tried swapping out for .png versions, but hasn't resolved the issue, nor has unticking the 'composite preview during trim' functionality as a colleague suggested. 

When the space bar is pressed, it takes about 15 frames before the playhead actually stops, which is highly frustrating as you can probably imagine, and is adding to my editing time, as many of the cuts I need to make are timed (I'm creating music educational videos)

Can anyone offer any assistance? I even ordered the Blackmagic GPU to see if that helped, but it didn't, so I sent it back.

Thanks in advance

Gav

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Hi Gav,

We never heard back from you so we assume you've solved the issue. If not, let me know, and we can troubleshoot once more. Send me a private message, and I will unlock this post again.

Typically, the solution for this issue is to use more lightweight media, such as using proxies or transcoding to a proper editing codec. A corrupt project or sequence can also cause issues like this. Copy/paste clips into a new sequence or create a new project and import assets from the previous project

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having exactly the same problem since the most recent update. I've posted in here to no avail, and have contacted Adobe support, who in turn took control of my screen to change a few settings, but has actually somehow made things worse. 

It's happening on new projects and old ones. The computer i'm running it on was working just fine a matter of weeks ago. 

Unless it's sorted soon i'm cancelling subscription and heading back to AVID. And taking my students with me. Utterly unworkable at the moment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Ross, I can't tell you how much additional time it's adding to my workload. 

I wouldn't mind, but my older, less powerful Macbook worked absolutely fine with no glitches or issues... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issue - i thought it was heavy footage at first but even when i am just trying to cut a audio track with no video there is still a few frames lag after the spacebar stop.  every cut must be revisited - so time consuming and frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What codec you use on the source and what on the sequence ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME problem here. H.264 codec out of a sony a7iii. 

Press the spacebar to pause timeline and it continues with video and audio playback. I have to go back to the point manually. 

Laptop is: 

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 

64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Firmware update for new hardware Adobe? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's how it's going to be,  

Premiere Pro doesn't handle long GOP codec well. because you know how it works, the camera doesn't save you all the frames, the editing program creates them later based on some strange data
Davinci Resolve is doing better, but editing on H264 is  not fluid , because the program has to create the missing frames on the fly. 

Do a Prores .proxy  mov. 1280 x720. These files will be bigger but not so much.   this is done automatically !

It takes a one more coffee .. 

You'll be able to edited it without any problems,  next by turning off the proxy, you'll have the material ready right away!

Lisa is writing about Jpeg. If they are heavy, for example, they have a 1200dpi, the premiere will be throwing them into the cache and freezing  the system. You can't make a proxy out of this but you can reduce it to 72dpi and then finally replace it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.  Started several months ago, and after three days of frusration I finally uninstalled Premiere and went back to a previous version.  Four months later (now) I tried updating again, hoping Adobe had fixed the issue, but here I am, wasting time, getting ready to uninstall and roll back to a previous version again.  I sure wish Adobe would stop pushing software out before it's ready (not to mention bloating their software beyond functionality).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any info about your system, media, or project, digabyte?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win10 64bit, Dual Xeon (16 cores), Dual Quadro K4200, 64GB RAM, separate
samsung SSD's for media cache, previews, and footage. Footage is various
H.264 coming from Sony A7R3s and Panasonic G9's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolled back to 14.2 and everything is functioning as it should.  It's just incredibly frustrating playing Russion Roullette with your workflow and deadlines every time you decide to upgrade to a newer version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just went through the same thing again.  Bought a brand new computer.  10th gen i7 Intel, GPU is Nvidia 2070 with 8GB, Win10, 64GB RAM, OS and Programs on separate 1TB NVME, working drive (footage) is Samsung 2TB SSD, all previews and cache go to 2nd separate NVME drive.  Timeline simply WILL NOT stop when I hit the space bar and play back is often choppy.  I had installed the most recent version of  Premiere CC through the Creative Cloud Desktop app.  Rolled back to 14.2, and everything is smooth again.  Pretty freakin' infuriating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced this too.

The solution for me was to delete the Jpgs from my timeline, go into after effects and export the pictures out as video.

Then deleted all my audio effects from the track mixer.

Finally re-import the video version of the pictures, and add the sound effects at the very end of the edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, I'll be damned If I need to go out and buy a new imac only to find the same problem persists. 

My current imac worked fine with premiere up untill about 6/8 months ago. This stop start lag is total nonsense and a dealbreaker.  Even happens on standard wav files. USB3 or thunderbolt make no difference to the start stop lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a new 2020 iMac and I had this issue. I solved it by unplugging the "magic keyboard" that came with the Mac and plugged in my old USB Mac keyboard. Problem solved! 👍

-someone mentioned restarting Premiere and holding down the alt key to reset Premiere's preferences- did nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Adobe please upadate us on this issue and can they please fix it?  Having this problem for nearly a year now, has made my job intolerable.  What are you going to do Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right?  Everyonce in a while I update to the newest version of Adobe Premiere, but the problem persists.  I then try an older (but newer than 14.2) version, but still the problem persists.  I always end up going back to 14.2 just so I can have the ability to *immediately* stop the timeline for accurate cuts when editing.  Pretty frustrating that I have to pay for the newest version (CC subscription), but must actually use something from multiple generations ago.  This problem existed on my dual Xeon HP workstation with dual Quadro cards and 128GB RAM, and still exists on the brand new i7 10750 with RTX2070 8GB and 64GB RAM with all SSD and M.2 drives that I purchased last month. Unacceptable, and really has me considering the switch to DaVinci Resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't be sure, but I think for me the solution was removing my 2nd display (a large Mac Monitor), because my 2015 MacBookPro could not redraw the screen fast enough.  As soon as I unplugged the 2nd display and everything was confined to my laptop screen, I could start and stop playback using the spacebar.  With that 2nd display plugged in, nada.  Playback continues until it runs out of sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it was a corrupted project file. It started acting janky when I was resizing some video clips using the motion paramenter and program window. Restarts, etc. didn't help. But I loaded an autosave project file and the issue was gone. I autosave every five minutes so I didn't lose an enormous amount.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And scratch that. The issue went away until I started resizing those clips again. Durn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, knock on wood. I went to updates and saw I had two PPro versions on my computer. Uninstalled the 15.4 one which wiped out my 2021 version as well, don't know why. So installed the 2022 version and now the space bar seems to be working the way it's supposed to, even after resizing those clips. Along those lines, there were two Media Encoder versions and after the 2022 PPro version installed it ME updated automatically and the 15.4 one went away and now I only have one ME version installed, which is good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Gav,

We never heard back from you so we assume you've solved the issue. If not, let me know, and we can troubleshoot once more. Send me a private message, and I will unlock this post again.

Typically, the solution for this issue is to use more lightweight media, such as using proxies or transcoding to a proper editing codec. A corrupt project or sequence can also cause issues like this. Copy/paste clips into a new sequence or create a new project and import assets from the previous project into it. These steps can also solve the issue.

If you are experiencing this same issue with the current version of Premiere Pro, please create a new post.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines