Playing Slow-Motion in the Media browser

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I show slow motion replays on an external monitor from the Media Browser for my customers.  When I locate the part that I want to show (for example a batters swing), I open Speed/Duration, set to 20% and hit enter.  The clip stretches to 5x the length, but it leaves the playhead where it is, instead of the playhead staying where I set it and when it stretches the clip having the playhead "travel" with the frame I set it on.  Is there a way to get the playhead to travel with that frame?

Example:

Beginning of Clip 11;38;28;10 Duration 1;18;04

Set the playhead at 11;38;38;01

Open speed/duration and set to 20%

The playhead stays at 11;38;38;01 but now the duration is 6;30;22

I then have to go and find the frame I had it set on which is now at approxiamtely 11;39;17;05

My question is:  Is there a way that when I change the speed/duration to 20% that the playhead would stay with that frame and automatically move to 11;33;17;05 when the clip is stretched?  And then back again when I am done with the slow-motion and change it back to 100%?

Thank you for your help in advance!  Mark 

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022
Hello Rodeovideo,Nice to meet you. I think I understand your issue. Let's see if I can help you.
I show slow-motion replays on an external monitor from the Media Browser for my customers. 
I tested out your workflow and I can't get it to work as you'd like. The Media Browser does not seem to support the same features as if the clip was imported into a project. Therefore, speed effects are not really working as expected there. The Media Browser's main use is to preview footage before import...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Rodeovideo,

Nice to meet you. I think I understand your issue. Let's see if I can help you.

I show slow-motion replays on an external monitor from the Media Browser for my customers. 

I tested out your workflow and I can't get it to work as you'd like. The Media Browser does not seem to support the same features as if the clip was imported into a project. Therefore, speed effects are not really working as expected there.

The Media Browser's main use is to preview footage before importing it into a project. So, you can open up a clip in the Source Monitor to preview it prior to adding it to a project. Adding effects to any clip, like a speed effect, should actually be done in the project. Once you do so, you can use standard keyboard shortcuts to perform exactly what you want.

First, import the clips into a project. Once they are in the project, they will behave as you expect. Load a clip into the Source Monitor. You can also load multiple clips into the Source Monitor.

Tip: load all the clips into the Source Monitor you imported (and wish to preview) by dragging them there. They can be accessed via a keyboard shortcut for Next and Previous for Source clips in the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog box. I mapped mine to Ctrl + numbers on the numeric keypad.

Once you have the clip loaded, begin playing back until you see the area you want to preview slow motion from and mark an In. Then, move to the Speed dialog with Alt/CMD + R. Change it to 20%. Then play in slow motion. Move back to the beginning by using Shift + I to move back to the mark In. Change the speed once more, if you like to set it back. Then - toggle to the next clip.

So, I think the two keys to getting you on track are to a) import the files and then b) use the mark In and shortcuts for Go To Mark In to get you to an In or Out point to get you oriented around the clip a bit better. 

If this advice helps, do let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines