• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PLEASE DO NOT RETIRE LEGACY TITLES

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 400+ Premiere Projects that I've made over the last 6 years (I'm a YouTuber), and they ALL USE LEGACY TITLES.

My videos are music tutorials which rely HEAVILY on text, and I create 100+ text titles for every video project.

I still need to REUSE and RE-VISIT my past Premiere projects in the future. I wasn't finished with them. I have 10+ video courses which I sell, and sometimes I need to go back and update those course files.

My Legacy text titles do not convert well to the newer graphics files. I draw arrows and all sorts of shapes which get lost.

Adobe discontinuing Legacy Titles is a true nightmare for me - it's the worst news ever for my business. Thousands and thousands of hours of my work will be made obsolete.

I don't think you realize how many of your users are in the same boat, with YEARS of past projects that would be made obsolete.

If Legacy Titles disappear, there is not reason for me to continue with Adobe.

Please, please, please - continue providing Legacy Titles. Many of your users still rely on them.

Thank you for your help

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Formats , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I understand your pain.

However, that's ancient code, some of the oldest in the app. And they would have to start from total scratch to rebuild that tool so it ain't happening. And it will go away, and unfortunately for you and others that have still been using it, that date is probably not that far off.

There are only a few things that the Legacy has that the EGP process doesn't ... like a shape library. For crying out screaming, why they didn't simply add the old shapes into the EGP options is beyond me. Been arguing with them about that for a long time. And I think that might actually get done, from the last time I got to actually talk with one of the program supers about it. We'll only know if it appears of course.

You can keep using the graphics you've already made is my understanding. Just won't be able to modify them.

And ... as from the moment they announced the new system, and called the old one Legacy, that was very clear notification to users that the old one was time-limited. They've given users three years or four to migrate to the new process. Wasn't exactly a fast switch.

And as someone who works both in PrPro and Resolve ... re-learning to work efficiently in Resolve and make the graphics there, would be a lot more work than rebuilding the graphics in the EGP. Just saying.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For projects that have long a lifespan or for project than one may need to revisit maybe 5-10 or more years from now i always recommend to never use build in titles, Dynamic Link, etc and codecs that may be unable to install later. I do all my titling and graphics in Photoshop so i have a file that will have a long life with a very small risk of one day being legacy/obselete. Same with animated titles, i always render them out of After Effects so i have the files. The Edit Original command in Premiere Pro makes both workflows smooth.

I have been using computers for so long that i know that a specific feature can and will be removed or modified anytime rendering already done material useless or modified. This  has happened before and happens with all software companies including Adobe.

For title heavy project i would never trust Essential Graphics either for long term projects. The old titler and Essential Graphics can only be used in Adobe world, so once you change editing app everything will be unusable while .psd´s from Photoshop will import into any video editing app. At worst they need to be flattened first. (The few times i use subtitles i do them in Photoshop or After Effects as well...)

Use Photoshop or another app for titling and you will be safe.

AFAIK there is no good safe way to convert legacy titles to another usable format. (Yet another reason to avoid application specific features...)

This is not a good answer to your specific question, and i do know it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Averdahl for your reply.

Do you know if there's a way for me to render all of my text files through all of my projects?

Would that keep my text animations working in future projects?

Julian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was an option via File > Export > Title but that is gone now. I did a test to place the titles on a matching sequence, select all, click Ctrl+R, set the Duration to 00:00:00:01, check "Ripple Edit, Shifting Trailing Clips" and click OK. Then export the sequence to let´s say PNG and make sure that the "Export As Sequence" is checked.

I did notice that when i set the duration to 00:00:00:01 it changes to 00:00:00:02, so i must open the Speed/Duration dialog once again and set the Duration to 00:00:00:01. This time it work.

If you place 100 titles you will now get 100 png-files with alpha. But, they are just images and the text/arrows/etc cannot be edited as separate elemnts. All elements will be flattend and all animations will be gone. So it has some disadvantages.

To save animations, save the title as Apple ProRes. Lot´s of manual work involved with many animations.

The old export method created a file that could not be opened in let´s say Photoshop anyway. Don´t know of any other app that could open them. Another method is to export them one by one direct from the Program panel but with many titles it will take very long time. (See attached image)

AFAIK, there are no easy, quick, convinient automated way to do it and get files that one can be edited. Maybe some will chime in with a better solution.

Averdahl_0-1632430448479.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way for me to export my Legacy text layers from previous projects - into some other file that will be compatible in newer versions of Premiere?

(I tried the 'convert Legacy titles to Essential Graphics' approach but this does not work. The results aren't even close).

Does rendering my text do anything to help keep it in place, for when I open projects in future versions of Premiere?

I don't need to edit my Legacy titles. I just need to be able to open old projects and re-export them with the text still there.

Thank you so much for your help,

Julian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this potential solution in our beta version, Julian. Discuss: Upgrade Legacy Titles to Essential Graphics

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kevin.

I tried upgrading Legacy Titles to Essential Graphics - but this won't work. The results aren't even close.

If Adobe is intent on discarding Legacy Titles, can they at least improve the process of upgrading Legacy into Essential Graphics?

Or can they add some other solution for users to 'flatten' their Legacy text files somehow, that will open in new Premiere versions (without being able to edit it - just view and export it from the project).

Surely this can be done.

Julian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julian,

Hope your day is going well.

If Adobe is intent on discarding Legacy Titles, can they at least improve the process of upgrading Legacy into Essential Graphics?

This is a user to user forum and a couple of support folks, like me. You can make all feature requests and bug reports for developers here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have no idea why they just can't keep the Legacy Title tool as an obsolete effect. I'm 63 and I'm going to be retiring fairly shortly from mainstream work. I have no intention of upgading to Version 23 of Premiere, simply because it has removed this facility and all my legacy stuff relies on it. I mainly use Photoshop for any graphics or text work. But despite it being a little clunky, Legacy Tile is still a really useful tool. 

Moderator note: Edited for content. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines