Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Plugin Development

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,
I'd like to code a plugin for premiere pro in c++ or javascript that listens on leftclicking the mouse on the timeline and then does anything. I've already downloaded the premiere pro sdk, but what is the best sample project to start with?

Please share all your knowledge you have because I can totally need it!

TOPICS
How to , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Plug-ins cannot intercept clicks on PPro windows. 

Perhaps if you send me a description of the workflow(s) you'd like your plug-in to support, I can provide more useful guidance...? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

I don't know of anything that would enable this. A CEP panel (which drives PPro via ExtendScript) can move the CTI wherever it wants, but there's no facility for intercepting mouse interactions with any PPro panel other than (the CEP panel) "itself".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plug-ins cannot intercept clicks on PPro windows. 

Perhaps if you send me a description of the workflow(s) you'd like your plug-in to support, I can provide more useful guidance...? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

plugin-example.png

Hi Bruce,

Please take a look at the picture I've provided.
I want to code a macro or anything else, so the timeline cursor jumps to the current mouse position cursor relative to the timeline. I know you can achieve this by clicking or dragging on the upper timeline, but I want to have a macro or anything else like a mouseclick listener but as you mentioned it doesn't work, so... could you please tell me if this is even possible.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As above, there's no way to intercept PPro's mouse click handling, for PPro's own windows. 

If you did intercept all such clicks, wouldn't that just prevent the user from clicking anywhere to the left of the CTI? 

Let's say we did somehow enable this behavior; what would that buy, for the user? I.e., why is it onerous to use PPro's own CTI controls, and instead necessary to allow clicking ANYWHERE in the timeline view, to move the CTI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used sony vegas before I switched to premiere pro and in this video editor you could click anywhere in the timeline to move the timeline cursor. It's just an old habit which is hard to break hence I can't enjoy adobe premiere to its fullest, so I thought of coding my own plugin for this.

But thanks for your fast answer, so I don't need to spend more time on searching how to implement this behavoir.
Except... you know anything so I could still do this...

Anyways best regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know of anything that would enable this. A CEP panel (which drives PPro via ExtendScript) can move the CTI wherever it wants, but there's no facility for intercepting mouse interactions with any PPro panel other than (the CEP panel) "itself".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Potentially possible to intercept mouse / keyboard events outside of the Adobe API when the window is focused, but even then, you'll have a hard time finding out if the user has hovered the timeline or not. Probably best to to think of other workflows like buttons or keyboard shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines