• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNGs change brightness/gamma on import into Premiere

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone! So here’s a riddle I’ve been trying to solve - not sure if it's a bug or whether I'm just missing something obvious:

When I import a PNG Sequence into Premiere 2021 it is shown to be brighter than a TIF version of the same sequence. I’ve switched color management on/off, but the two sequences still don’t match in Premiere. Whereas inside both AE and PS the TIF and PNG are correctly shown to be identical.

When I then export the PNG Sequence from Premiere as another PNG Sequence (just to check), the resulting sequence is brighter than the original one. So it doesn’t seem to be just a display issue within Premiere, because the PNG files have actually changed brightness during the trip.

The same goes for export as mp4, which obviously does have its own set of gamma issues anyway - but exporting the aforementioned TIF sequence as an mp4 delivers perfectly normal results. So in terms of workflow, I could just switch to TIF sequences as a way of losslessly getting from AE to Premiere, but that would drastically increase the file size and also shouldn’t really be necessary (as PNGs were handled just fine in the past).

I’m trying to test and google my way through this - though because color management in Premiere seems to be somewhat in flux (?) and also differs between Win and Mac (I’m on a windows pc), I’m never quite sure which info actually still applies here.

TOPICS
Export , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Your settings in Ae and Ps matter ... a lot.

In Ae, it should be set to Rec.709, gamma 2.4 as per this image.

Ae Color Settings.PNG

The "Linearize working space" option ... is sometimes necessary, occasionally can cause problems.

In Photoshop, the color settings should also be set for the Rec.709 gamma 2.4 option.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your settings in Ae and Ps matter ... a lot.

In Ae, it should be set to Rec.709, gamma 2.4 as per this image.

Ae Color Settings.PNG

The "Linearize working space" option ... is sometimes necessary, occasionally can cause problems.

In Photoshop, the color settings should also be set for the Rec.709 gamma 2.4 option.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Neil,

Thank you for your reply and quick help! I’m sorry for being late on my part - I was hoping to get some more testing done during the week and to then formulate a wider ranging follow up question, as there are still some gamma / color questions regarding Premiere that I can’t quite wrap my head around.

However, your input does absolutely explain the discrepancy for the png import case that I’ve described above, so I will of course mark it as solved and then maybe return with a new gamma topic at some point!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines