• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Poor Editing Performance on New M1 Mac Studio

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just set up Premiere on a clean M1 Mac Studio.

Editing lightly-compressed h.264 footage in a timline lags 3-5 seconds scrubbing and hitting play.

Here is a video of clicking around the timeline in Premire Pro showing a significan lag 

Here is me skipping around inside the same video on the same M1 Mac, this time in QuickTime Player.  Skipping through the file to access random frames is instantaneous:

Here I am skipping around the same file in KDENlive on generic Linux hardware.  Performance is also near-instantaneous:

Why is Adobe performance on the latest Mac harware inferior to free/Linux software on old hardware?

Will  this be fixed soon?

Is this better on Wintel?  I have 10 days to return my hardware purchase.

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Hi,

Can you download the Premiere Pro Beta and test the performance there? There were some recent updates for M1 there. Let us know!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Holy smokes!

Can confirm this appears to be fixed in the Beta.  So much better.

With the Beta version of Premiere, I'm seeing performance much more in line with what I expected.

Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good tip about Shutter Encoder. Basically does everything the old Quicktime pro did. Otherwise, AME is very fast on Apple's new M1 chips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Afterglow did you ever get a solution to getting your studio to run smoother? I am having the same issue and I have the new mac studio with all the upgrades it could have, very frusterating. Let me know if you have found any solutions that don't include proxies, Prores, or some weird footage compression hoops

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Testing new upgrade Premiere v23 this week to see if the hanging stops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me PPro v23 has not changed much. Here is a snapshot of events log and the 10 x 'error retrieving' and 'frame substitution' alerts logged in less than an hour. The footage is almost all Sony FX6 .mxf 4K, some Sony A7SIII 4K.

Grateful for any words of advice? I'd be delighted if it were some basic setting I've overlooked. I've played and edited the same footage in Davinci with no issue.

There was another discussion directly on Premiere's handling of FX6, "Sony FX6 footage (50fps,4k XAVC-I) and performance..." which I was going to post to but it's now locked. Why is that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's snapshot:

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 4.52.16 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Afterglow,

Sorry for the frustration. The OP switched to another platform. Posts are closed after the OP leaves the conversation. This one hasn't been locked yet, but I may do so shortly because of the protocol. Feel free to open your own thread any time.

I may have written this before, but Premiere Pro might not support Long GOP 10-bit, 4:2:2 high frame rate footage in specific computers. Other NLE platforms may be more performant for particular formats and your computer. Sorry about that. In that case, you can file a bug here. I would be happy to advocate for a performance enhancement on your behalf.

I would try to place your media files on a high-speed SSD connected via a high-speed connection like Thunderbolt or USB 3. This rule of thumb can help reduce the overhead triggering these performance warnings. Another thing to try is to close all projects from the Home screen and then delete the media cache from Preferences > Media cache. Media cache from previous versions referencing your media can cause issues in the current version.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I'll file a bug/request and if you're able to support it that's terrific, given how many FX6s are out there. One thing, I'm pretty conservative with frame rates and mostly stick to 25fps and still get problems and the media being edited is stored on the Mac Studio's super-fast internal SSD. I tried clearing the cache yesterday again and the error messages above were logged after that. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin. I'm working on a large multicam project, 4 groups of 16. It was laggy but workable on my MBP 2016 but now that I've moved to my new M1 Max Mac Studio, its completely unworkable. 10-20 sconds for pictures to catchup with playhead. All media trascoded to ProRes Proxy. tried 23.0, no better, and I can't migrae the whole project there anyway as I'm apparently using two plugins which are no longer in 23.0.

Any thoughts greatky appreciated as I'm having to roll back to the MBP to get the job done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transcode the camera original clips to ProRes (422 LT if it's for social media, 422 HQ if the edited master is the product) and set Sequence Video Previews to matching Custom QuickTime ProRes.  As long as your storage media meeds the sustained data transfer requirements for ProRes, your edits will flow really, really well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last paragraph of Kevin's reply should be the first order of business-- do NOT store live, time-based media on your system disk. I don't care how fast it is or how roomy. Get that ingest media off your system drive, and onto a fast external drive, like a RAID box.  

Leave your system drive for all your Adobe apps and all the others, and their frameworks, and for storing very lightweight documents, cache files, pek files, and other support files.

In my regular practice as editor, the external RAID carries the raw media and sometimes trancoded media for editing, as well as autosave documents, and video / audio previews. I have a second, less powerful RAID for exporting the results in either ProRes LT or H264 for review.

There's a reason why we add terabytes of external drive space to our laptops and desktop computers. The amount of calls back and forth between the apps and their system drive support files on the one hand and the bandwidth-heavy media you're editing from a fast RAID on the other should promote performance nirvana on a beast like the Studio Ultra.

It better, mine's coming shortly!

Best as always,
Loren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines