• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Poor timeline performance on 23.2 using PC with NVIDIA GPU

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although i had hopes for 23.2, there is a huge prblem that still has not been resolved - an insane amount of lagg as if im editing on my 2009 HP laptop. One of the best articles I've found is here which addresses the issue many of us MacOS users are facing: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/major-lag-on-timeline-with-premiere-pro-v-23-1-maco...

Although Francis states the issue has been resolved I ca confirm it has not.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Hello @jackhenrybell,

Thanks for the message. It’s been a long time since you filed this bug. Are you still having this issue? I'll move your post to the Discussions board while we await your information.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JackHenry,

Thanks for the note. Welcome to Adobe forums. I'm Kevin, one of the community managers here. I hope I can help. You indicate that you are having performance issues in the Timeline. The macOS bug is different than those on any PC with an NVIDIA GPU, where the issue can be traced to faulty GPU drivers. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue on Windows, where trying to PAUSE preview of my timeline, the video doesn't stop and Premiere becomes unresponsive at all, not able to click anything and video keep playing until premiere wants it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laggy JKL and spacebar performance is part of this. Makes setting in/outs VERY difficult among other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have these same problems working with the latest version 23.2... it is so frustrating, why I am paying for a product I can't use? and also on top of that I am wasting my time trying to figure it out, and I have all my clients chasing me asking for their videos!! Please I need some help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME PROBLEM! What is going on with Premiere lately? Is it the version issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Philipptim,

Sorry to hear about that. Could you let us know which Premiere Pro version you're working on? Are you on macOS or Windows? Let us know. We're here to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running 23.2.0 (Build 69).

Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Philipptim,

In your computer, do you have an NVIDIA GPU or is it an AMD GPU? If NVIDIA, which driver is installed? Some of the ones over the past months might be faulty. Update your GPU drivers to the current ones and let us know what happens.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, I have Nvidia Quadra rtx 5000.

I always keep my graphic drivers up to date. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't need new features. We just need the basic program to work. The majority of new features will never be used. But the core program, like the timeline, gets used eveytime. I'm now on version 23.2, and it didn't fix anything. But the release notes show even more new features. Everyone here is absolutly correct, No more new features, just fix the program. If I start the timeline and it can not be stoppped until it reaches the end of the clip, new features are worthless. Like Tom Layson stated above: Just one more update...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Here are my specs:

Windows 10 updated to current version. All drivers as updated as humanly possible.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x

RTX 3070 Ti 

128GB RAM

Source files located on 2- 980 pro 2TB NVMEs RAID 0 

project files located on EVO 870 1TB

operating system on a seprate EVO 870 1TB

Cache on 4-EVO 860s 250GB RAID 0

Sometimes the timeline works fine, and sometimes it will just not stop along with the rest of the program being un-responsive. being zoomed in on the timeline seems to make it worse. The longer I spend working on a project, the worse it get as well. Closing and re-opening things, clearing the cache, has no effect.

Same issues on 3 other completely different machines. 2 laptops and another tower.

I've tried the studio drivers and game ready drivers. Switching to the game ready driver seemed to make things better, but that only lasted a few hours.

Footage was recorded on a KiPro GO. H.264 files

Same issues working with the .mp4s and the ProRes 422 medium resolution proxies I'm using now. I thought that might make a difference. But only for a few minutes.

I've also worked with ProRes 422 straight from KiPro recorders as well as Blackmagic and Atomos recorders, all have the same issues.

Closing and opening sequences or the program has no effect. When the timeline dosen't stop, you can't close anything anyway. This is not a problem that just started recently. Its been happining for quite a few years now on multiple versions, as the people in this forum will agree. That's why I have so many computers. I kept thinking I just needed newer and better hardware and all the problems will just go away. But they don't. Throwing more hardware at it has no effect. I like having Dynamic Link between the programs but I'm starting to think its just not worth it. I have no links in this project. This should have taken me 30 minutes tops. I'm 6 hours in. I have the time to write this because I'm waiting for the timeline to stop again. Just so I can make one change and have it run away again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the frustration. Thanks for the info! Have you tried a clean installation of the latest NVIDIA drivers? Premiere Pro is fine on my PC with much older drivers installed. I'll move these posts to the NVIDIA/PC bug report. 

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as everyone here. On multiple high power computers. Its not possible to throw any more money into my hardware than I have. Almost top of the line everything. Everything is as updated as possible without traveling into the future. And still for years now the exact same problem. The time line lags, becomes unresponsive for minutes, playhead does not stop. 10 hours to edit 1 video that should have taken 20 minutes. I just tried this beta. Exact same exact same issues. On top of all thoes problems, the 2023 version brings a new one. After clicking outside of Premiere (after effects, explorer, browser, etc) the timeline dosen't work for 30 to 60 seconds. Also the more the timeline is zoomed in the less it works. I need to edit about 700 videos in the next 30 days. I'm now forced to learn DaVinci Resolve. I just can't keep working this way. My main editing machine has a 5950x cpu with 128G ram, RTX 3070 Ti, with multiple 980 pro NVMEs. That should be enough hardware to make Premiere functional. But its not....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm typing this with thumbs - so it's short. With 700 videos to cut you're obviously asking PP to "address" a large volume of media. My main template is loaded

upn with a metric ton of  "permanent" assets too. I half  wonder if we're building monsters from an asset managment perspective that the back end of PP is choking on when combined with cloud assets and latency etc. No facts here - wild posit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only import 2 one hour long clips at a time for that reason. And it still chokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The miserble timeline performance in PP has been going on for years and years. Some updates makes it a bit better, other updates makes it worse again. It's getting really tiresome! The only thing I have found that helps me a bit is that longer video files seem to make it worse (also seems to get worse the further into the sequence I am going). So splitting your long duration videofiles into smaller files might help, but it's a bit of a pain to do every time...

Hoping to switch to DaVinci soon, myself!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got back to this. For an issue that had the coding team in working on a recent weekend, this thread has really gone silent. My gut - which is worth what you're paying for it - is that we're at about the end of the line here with PP as it's currently coded. I would much rather have a cessation of feature development - and opt for instead a big offline moonshot recofiguration for UI operability... I'm wondering if the time has come. But this is like crack - just one more update... I'll take just one more update... and then I'll quit! This time I mean it? /:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up @Francis-Crossman! We need to see more of this proactive approach from Adobe!

Experiencing the same problems on Win 10 and 23.1.0. Lagy scrubbing, zoom and general UI lag. Pressing Play is at times unresponsive too. Sometimes its immediately noticeable when I start the program, sometimes it takes a while and it progressively gets worse as I work. Sometimes shutting down Premiere helps, sometimes it doesn't.

A question @Francis-Crossman ; is this bug communicated to your help-desk? Often I get a distinct feeling that they have no clue about current bugs and one ends up spending AGES troubleshooting a problem with them and just wasting time. When it's an actual bug and no amount of troubleshooting is going to fix the problem. This is something I feel needs to be addressed within Adobe support too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they are aware of this issue and have the workarounds.  It can take a bit of time for them and us to connect the dots on reports they are getting to bugs we are working on.  I personally communicated this issue to the support staff as soon as the engineering team learned about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying @Francis-Crossman ! Glad to hear that these bugs are reported to support! Maybe things are improving in this area. Because up to now I have more or less given up on attempting to contact Adobe support. Just ends up wasting my time and often the problems have magically gone away after the next update anyway or I have come up with my own workarounds. That being said; there's still LOTS of bugs/issues, that's been around for years, that deserves attention!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really weird for me... since updating it's impossible to edit with simple captions. 1/8 playback not many layers, proxies created and it's just struggling even with 23.2... Somethings telling me I was on 22 and I may go back. So annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to affect people quite differently. I just updated to 23.2 and it seems to have improved performance for me. But I might regret writing this, haven't been working that much in this version yet 😅
Seems like these kind of performance issues/bugs are getting more frequent. Where the problem is hard for Adobe to replicate... 😳

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it also fix bugs like the preview freezing after touching the project panel (mentioned here) or are we still stuck hoping for Nvidia to release a working driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a fair question @CraigTonkin, and of course, we don't want our users to feel like beta testers.  We actually have a dedicated public beta for that!  This issue didn't come up in beta or in our extensive internal testing.  But now that we know it's there we're moving quickly to fix it as soon as possible.  I'm very sorry you ran into this issue. I was a professional editor before coming to Adobe and these sorts of bugs are massive productivity killers. I can very much empathize.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines