Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PP 2020 unresponsive to mouse clicks, exhibiting "ghost" Behavior

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

CRUX OF THE ISSUE: Mouse clicks do not produce expected response in Premiere, if any response at all. Clicking different open sequences reverts back to the first opened sequence. In sequence settings, the only responsive buttons are "Cancel" and "OK". Clicking dropdowns are unresponsive, but instead, hovering mouse over dropdowns or dimensions/resolution input field cycles through menu options/numbers.

HARDWARE:
iMac with 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 processor

Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 

ATTEMPTED FIXES: 

Switched project files

Created new project files

Restarted program while erasing preferences

Restarted computer

Wiped Media Caches

Restarted computer
Uninstalled PP2020
Uninstalled entire Adobe Cloud and cleaned using Adobe Cleaner script.

Restarted computer

THE STORY

I'm experiencing a crushing issue in Premiere Pro 2020. When I opened my file this morning, I noticed Linked files were taking a long time to load but didn't think much of it. I recently swapped this project over to a new hard drive and it had to search to link the files, so I figured that would be resolved once it found everything. I clicked through the locate files dialog box and entered my project. I attempted to click through my timeline when I started to notice this issue. My mouse clicks within premiere pro (and only in premiere pro) were exhibiting laggy behavior. In many instances, clicking in the timeline or into the Project window produced no response from the program. 

I thought I might be having an issue with preview files from switching to the new drive, so I jumped into my sequence settings. Sequence settings buttons and dropdowns were unresponsive at first. Then I noticed that if I hovered my mouse over the dropdown menus, dropdowns would cycle through their options. In the input fields for dimensions, the numbers would increase if I hovered my mouse over them. I opened up different projects, and even tried creating new projects and I am experiencing identical and unexplained behavior. I've tried many fixes, up to wiping and reinstalling the entire creative cloud on my iMac. That did nothing for this issue, which makes me think this is an issue with another program, driver, plugin, or who knows what playing badly with Premiere. 

I'm not quite sure what to do next as I haven't seen any similar issues in the forums. I'm thinking my next steps probably have to do with updating or reverting drivers, but we're really starting to get out of territory I am familiar with, especially since I am still learning and becoming familiar with iMac (learned editing and computers on PC, had to switch to Mac for work last year.)

Thanks for any help you might provide!

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Well, I solved my own issue. 

I have no idea what the underlying problem was, but I updated my Mac OS and now Premiere plays nicely again. 

No issues whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I solved my own issue. 

I have no idea what the underlying problem was, but I updated my Mac OS and now Premiere plays nicely again. 

No issues whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me for like an hour lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue with my i7 iMac for a while now. It seems to only be since updating to the last few versions of CC PP, but I'm honestly not entirely sure when it happened. I can't find anything else that this issue applies to, which rules out the idea that it's my mouse. It doesn't happen with any other software, Adobe or otherwise. I'm using PP22.2 at present and it's soooooooo frustrating.

Paying good money for this guys, please find a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FSR_Industries,

Sorry to hear that. Not yet seeing this on my builds of Premiere Pro and macOS Monterey, but you are not alone. We've seen it on M1 and Intel and Monterey. We've seen it in the U.S. and Germany so far.

I've got my eye on this issue and hope to update the community as soon as I can get this bug to reproduce.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep - I'm having this issue too.  It's maddening, and makes editing incredibly slow.  Nothing has changed with my workflow, but now I'm sometimes waiting 3/4 seconds for premiere to become responsive. You can normally see the little line in the timeline telling you where your mouse is, and it's just blank and only appears after a few seconds.  Until then no clicks/interaction in the timeline (or anywhere else) will register (Image attached of what I'm talking about).

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 7.04.59 pm.jpg

Right now, I'll get maybe 5-10 seconds of good responsive mouse clicks/clip interaction, and then have to wait 3 seconds or so, and that cycle just repeats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, Chris. What kind of Mac are you running? Any other info you can share? Possible to roll back to Big Sur?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey mate.  Specs are the following:

15" macbook pro, running version 11.6.5 (big sur still - I've been busy and didn't want to update while I was busy)

2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Radeon Pro 560 4 GB

I'm running iStat menus, and the processor isn't maxing out or anything when this is happening.  I do edit from external HDD's, but it's not been an issue in past years.  My workflow hasn't changed at all, so I imagine the problem has to come from software side, unless the data transfer bus is playing up or something like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar machine, Chris. You should be up and running for sure, so this is weird. 

Troubleshooting time: 

• Can you close Premiere Pro and conduct a CMD + I (Get Info) on your Documents folder? Unlock it and make sure you're set to Read/Write. 
  • Then, drill down to the menu at the bottom of the Get Info dialog box and "apply to enclosed items." 
  • This may take a few minutes. Test your project once more. 
  • Are you still having problems? 
    • Test a new project. 
    • If that doesn't work, try resetting preferences. 
    • Are you still having trouble? Delete Media Cache with all projects closed. 

I hope the advice helps. If not, return, and we'll keep trying.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I'm having the same issue as well - hasn't occured until recently. I tried the steps you mentioned and still have the same wierd slowdowns. I can seem to replicate it prety much immediately if I open Finder or some other program and push Premiere to the background. Coming back to Premiere has the slowdown present. Maybe something to do with the MacOS window manager or accessibility controls? 

I've tried:

1. Uninstalling/Reinstalling Premiere

2. Rolling Premiere back to 22.0 or even 15.4.5

3. Clearing the media cache

4. Adjusting memory and performance settings

5. Reinstalling MacOS

6. Trying different user accounts

It seems this issue started cropping up for me when I had my display replaced a few months ago but it could be totally unrelated.

Please help, this is very frustrating and brings editing to a crawl. Thanks!

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mike,

I had some weird slowdowns on my Mac recently after working with a sequence where I changed the frame size of the sequence. Is that something you did recently? It was a terrible bug, and I had to use a workaround to be free of it. Let me know if that sounds familiar or not.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I recall, I generally use the frame size of the footage I'm working on (1080p/2160p) but the slowdowns seem to occur on any frame size I choose.

However, I may have discovered something a little more interesting that could allude to it being the framework of MacOS itself causing the issue. Switching to dark mode on the UI in MacOS has seemed to fix it (no slowdowns for a couple hours now). For context on how I discovered this: a couple years ago when Apple brought full dark mode into MacOS, there was a terminal workaround to keep the light windows but have the menubar and dock be dark. No problem right? Well it turns out that this simple command caused any 3d acceleration on the system to cap at 40 fps (games, AE CC, Sketchup, etc.) Seemed like an odd way to uncover a bug like that since there should be no correleation but I assume it has something to do with windowserver messing with the graphics performance when something like this happens. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa, weird. Can you let me know if staying in dark mode continues to remedy this situation?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it seemed to take care of it for a litte while, but it did come back...

It keeps getting more complicated though, I have the 2019 16" MBP with adjustable refresh rate and going into system preferences and adjusting it down to 47.95hz fixes it... whether or not the fix is indefinite has yet to be determined.

But I think it definitely has something to do with the MacOS framework for display and window management not playing nice with something in Premiere. I've never seen this with another program (of course it has to be the one program that needs consistent responsiveness the most).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did an entire nuke of the system and clean-installed Monterey from scratch, with the only installed software being Premiere and it still exhibits the issue. I don't know that else to do, all I remember is it didn't seem to do this until a few months ago, and even rolling back the premiere version to pre-22.0 doesn't remedy it. 

A very odd issue, but very frustrating. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey mate.  So, an update - Since the last post I got a new computer - a mac studio running 12.3.1, M1 ultra chip, 128 gb ram.  Did a fresh install of everything, and I've still got the same problem.  I did a screen recording of what's happening so you can see.  For context, as soon as the pointer moves to a new section in the timeline, I am repeatedly clicking the mouse.  You can see in some instances there is about a 2 second lag.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b99aggu9i448thf/premiere%20lag.mov?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and just as follow up info, this is running off a fast external SSD, not a slower spinning drive. It's all HD prores, so the computer should handle it fine, and there should be more than enough bandwidth for the data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, looks exactly like what I'm experiencing. Depending on my timeline complexity the lag is huge and almost unusable. I've been messing around with this for weeks now and no solution from Adobe or help on Apple's end.

A "fix" that I've found works 100% of the time (temporarily, until workspaces are switched from say editing to color or audio, etc.) is closing the lid for a couple seconds and opening it, and Premiere is back to normal behavior. My guess is the closing of the display resets the GPU, so this is why it works. See attached video, it acts up as soon as I change workspaces, notice the clicks of the mouse and the small delay of it doing something, then when I close/open lid its back to full speed, and notice the mouse movement on the timeline with the marker, and its difference in it's lag behing the cursor before and after the GPU reset.

On the Mac Studio, try unplugging and re-plugging your monitor for a couple seconds. I can't guarantee this will work but I'm curious if it's the same issue.

For context: My machine is 2019 16" MBP; Intel i7; 16gb; 5300M 4GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh LEGEND.  So I haven't yet tried disconnecting the display, but so far if I stick to the one workspace (for instance just staying in editing and not switching to colour) the behaviour hasn't yet come back.  I'll keep you updated.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I've found a permanent solution... and I cannot believe it was this simple (and such a stupid bug)

I found this thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/ui-response-suddenly-becomes-extremely-slow-...

and this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUkvXizSgdU

Mine was as simple as opening the Libraries panel and letting it load. After I did that, smooth sailing even when switching layouts.

A bug like this should not be this persistent Adobe (tested ver. 15.0 thru 22.4, all had this issue)

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines