• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PP to Resolve Workflow Question

Participant ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two short sequences of cut .ari files that I need to export to Resolve to create specificly configured DPX files. One sequence has three layers with opacity changes and an adjustment layer with an FX transition. The other sequence has a single adjustment layer with a transition FX. 

I've never used Resolve and my understanding is that I need to export single layer FCP files from PP to import into Resolve. What would be the best workflow to get these layered sequences into Resolve? 

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Export , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you just export a high quality format from Premiere like Prores 422HQ already composited and bring that into resolve to export as dpx files...?  I don't think you'll have much luck trying to export a fcp xml from premiere to recreate your effects in resolve.    You can also export to "lossless" format like animation or prores 4444 if you're worried about any loss in quality...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll give it a try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

let us know how things work out.  I often edit in Premiere and color correct in resolve.  Not always a smooth workflow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Would the export format be Apple ProRes MXF Op1a with the preset at Prores4444?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or QT - Prores4444 

Totally out of my depth here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure what your quality issues are.  QT Prores4444 will be fine.  Humongous file size, but virtually lossless.  

You might want to do some tests with prores422(hq) and see if the quality will be sufficient.     Not an expert on this stuff, but you might want to tell us what your source properties and Premiere sequence settings are so we can make some judgement about what will maintain the quality of the original without overdoing it for no visible difference...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The source is .ari files Ive cut together and added some transition FX to. Not sure what settings you are asking for. Resolution? I've exported a QT from PP, imported it into a Resolve timeline. It looks fine, but getting error messages about a media pool (?) and it aborts when I try to export a DPX. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be going down the wrong road here. I just need a DPX to give to the colorist, not doing any grading myself. It seems odd that there's no way to do this with the required settings directly from PP or AE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can export a dpx from premiere, but what hardware/software is the colorist using?  Hopefully he should be able to give you some guidance.   Has he given you any specs?  What format will he be delivering?    Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 9.13.27 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've tried all possible configurations from PP and they're not working. Here are the specs I've been given for Resolve: Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 7.44.28 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-28 at 7.44.18 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The colorist is using Lustre. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know nothing about Lustre.  I've never had any issues bring a simple media file in to resolve.  If you want to export a second of media from your Premiere timeline (by marking an in and out in the timeline and choosing sequence in to out in the export dialog) with the prores 4444 formatI'll see if there are any obvious issues bringing it in to resolve and exporting a dpx file from resolve.   You can send me a direct message my clicking on my user name at the top of my post...  But you might just hire someone who has at least a basic grasp of the ins and outs of resolve to wrangle this for you.  Wait...  are you on a mac or pc?  If you're on a pc, resolve can't deal with prores files if I remember correctly.  So you need to choose a different codec in Premiere.  Maybe try quicktime:  Animation.  Will be big files but lossless.  Not an expert on windows formats...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Mac. I've already messaged our VFX artist to see if I can send him an AAF to take this off my hands. Our deadline is colliding with my learning curve. I had no idea this would be so byzantine. 

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just spoke to our colorist. He thinks its a matter of turning off Rec709 and rendering Log_C DPX directly from Premiere Pro. So I just have to figure out how to do that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you could render out EXR Log_C encapsulated with opencolorio.

(you have to place the effect before lumetri)

you could wrap it under a 2100 curve or PQ upon export

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines