• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pr 22.0.0 OSX continues a tradition of being awful

Advisor ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, I did a totally clean install with a fresh set of preferences.  I IMPORT and old project into a New Project.  I load an HD Sequence that contains 4K .MXF footage.  I disable the Effects via the Enable / Disable Effects button in the Program tab.  I enabled Dropped Frames Indicator.  I hit play.  The Dropped Frame Indicator changes to yellow from green almost instantaneously.  Inevitably, video playback just stops, and I can still hear the audio playing.  I stop and start the Sequence again, and the pattern repeats ad infinitum.

If I enable FX, I get absolutely no real-time playback ever.

My system is powerful and should be able to handle this no problem: MacPro7,1 - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - 256G RAM - AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB - ATTO R680 PCIe SAS SCSI RAID6 (8 drives - very fast) - OSX 10.15.7

The same Projects and Sequences play in real time with NO FRAMES DROPPED in Pr 14.9.  There have been NO improvements to Pr's real-time playback performance since this 14.9 - a version that's two years old.  I still suspect all my problems are related to the lack of OpenCL support, and Adobe just can't figure out how achieve parity with Metal.  There is little to no difference between using the Metal renderer and Software Only in terms of real-time playback.

This is very discouraging.
TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Did you delete all media cache with all projects closed? That should be done along with this major new version. Sorry for this issue.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin. No, deleting both caches* has no effect on the lousy playback.  But, thanks for the suggestion.  You know, I'm no babe in the woods concerning Premiere troubleshooting.

*Besides the cache location designated in the preferences, there's an additional cache in the User>...Application Support>...>Common folder.  I bet a lot of people don't know about the second cache folder.  I keep aliases to both caches on my desktop for easy cleaning.  I clean both frequently.  I've attached a screen shot of the file path on my computer.

I notice that when I first hit play, my CPU meters peg for a few seconds, and my GPU meter registers a very low load.  Looks to me like Metal and GPU rendering isn't happening at all.  Again, this is with all the FX disabled.

Also, Pr seems to be locking up my whole computer for up to a minute or two accompanied by the spinning color wheel.  This happened three times between yesterday and today, and was caused by dragging the CTI.  That's pretty bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did more experimenting, after reinstalling Catalina 10.15.7 last night, hoping to rule out OS corruption as a factor.

I dragged some .mxf 4K into a new Sequence, applied a Lumetri Color Effect, and then pasted the effect to all clips in the Sequence, and hit Play.  The Dropped Frame Indicator lights up eventually, although it stays green for longer (one or two minutes) than with scaling or any native effects applied.  GPU load averages around 25% with the Metal renderer selected.

I also opened several older projects that have 4K .mxf sources in HD sequences.  Name supers are PNG w/alpha, Lumetri Color applied on most clips, or an Adjustment Layer.  NONE of my older projects would play without either dropping frames or the video freezing when the CTI enounteed video + Lumetri + PNG with alpha super.  This is typical of most of my work for my biggest client.  And, again Pr CC20 (14.9) plays these Sequences wiht aplomb - my guess due to far superior OpenCL support and / or better coding.

One issue I haven't encountered so far with CC20 is Pr not crashing when I try to open more than two projects.  That's been my most vexing issue with CC20 (14.9).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines