Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Pr2019: How to "actually" split clips

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As part of learning by doing, I'm building a fan-music-video to get my chops back, after not touching Pr since Pro2.

As you might imagine, this entails cutting lots of little clips out of long source footage.

What I *expect* to be able to do is mark clips somehow in the long source clip, and then cut them out, *into separate clips in the bin, named, and not interacting with one another*.  The Metalogging workspace, which I understand to be intended for initial footage logging and handling, has no timeline, and it appears that "put the clip on a timeline", is the only way to do this sort of splitting.

But I forsee two problems, and I'm not sure what to do about either of them:

1) What timeline/sequence should I use for doing this splitting, and if the source footage is of a different standard than the project/final program, how will those two interact -- I'd prefer not to have to render that early... and also where do I *get* that timeline?  Do I clutter up the Program timeline, and then clean it up after?  Or create a new sequence and then discard it (a Timeline is the viewfor the model that is a Sequence, right?)

2) It appears to me, so far, to be the case that {WARNING: theoretical example ahead} if I import a single 10 minute clip into a program and bin, called SAMPLE.MPG, and put it on a timeline and razor it into 3 3.3 minute clips, all three will still be called SAMPLE.MPG, and there will still only be one clip in the bin.  If that's true -- and especially if I can't rename the three clips independently -- that's going to drive me up a wall.  Is that in fact the case, and if so, how does one get from where that leaves me to where I want to be?

Do I really have to do that, and then manually export each clip and pull it back into the bin?

Or is there magic I'm simply not seeing for this circumstance, which really can't be *that* uncommon, 3 decades into nonlinear editing... 🙂

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from generic Cloud/Setup forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

They function as independent clips UNLESS you use the Master Clip function.

And only those things you do with Master Clip will occur across other uses.

It will do exactly as you wish. And also means if you color correct one part of a clip, and it would work for the others, that you CAN easily and quickly apply that to all.

And of  course any color or other changes you apply directly to a subclip clip in a sequence will only apply to that subclip. In that sequence.

As with Premiere, your changes ONLY

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[ Mod: it did appear to say I was in the Pr forum when I started writing; sorry about that ]

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-click a clip in a bin, which opens it in the Source Monitor. Set an in and out, right-click and select Create Subclip.

Name and save. Rinse and repeat.

If you later want to add an effect such as color changes across all instances of the full clip, use the Master Clip tab in the Effects Control Panel to do so. To make effects changes to any one subclip use the regular tab for the clip in the ECP or other panels.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You lost me at "subclip".  To me, logically, the results of my clipping *are all first class clips*; that's how I want them to behave.  I do not want them to interact at all; I want them to live in the bin as unique objects, not tied to anything else.

You are saying that they'll still be related somehow, right?   Or have I misunderstood you?  🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They function as independent clips UNLESS you use the Master Clip function.

And only those things you do with Master Clip will occur across other uses.

It will do exactly as you wish. And also means if you color correct one part of a clip, and it would work for the others, that you CAN easily and quickly apply that to all.

And of  course any color or other changes you apply directly to a subclip clip in a sequence will only apply to that subclip. In that sequence.

As with Premiere, your changes ONLY apply to a clip within a sequence, and 'normal' changes or effects are never added to the clip in a bin. EXCEPT for Master Clip changes.

This does not give you separate clips on disc, of course ... only within that project. If you do want separate clips, you would need to export them as such.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Neil, it's clipping them out well enough, but instead of it putting them in the bin I opened the source clip from, it seems to be spraying them out at random among the three bins I'd created; is there something else there I'm missing?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere's bin behaviors constantly amaze me.

Which is not ... good.

Yea, it can do that, so you need to drag the bloody things back where they're supposed to be.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok; just so long as it's expected (if stupid) behavior, not something I was missing doing.  Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like many, I've requested both via form and in person at both NAB and Adobe MAX that the bin behavior be made like, you know, expectable ... usable ... sensible.

Someday our dreams will come ...

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, Neil: I've taken this up with Adobe on Twitter, where it's apparently embarassing enough to actually get escalated; tier 1 said CNR, unsurprisingly.

I'll let you know what tier 2 says.  🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I and many other users have sub-clipped the heck out of media for years, and it works.

Yea, it wants to put them in the same bin they started from and if you try to auto-plop them elsewhere it gets cranky and they get plopped around.

But among the numerous trying issues this is relatively minor.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, I badly misunderstood you, cause I said

"It doesn't put the clips in the bin the y came from",

and *you* said

"""

Premiere's bin behaviors constantly amaze me.

Which is not ... good.

Yea, it can do that, so you need to drag the bloody things back where they're supposed to be.
"""

which sounds awfully like you *were* agreeing with me then that this happens, and now you aren't.

Who's confused?  🙂

[ My actual bug report is here:

Subclips don't go in the same bin as the masterclip when created – Adobe video & audio apps ]

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both some, as is typical in long-distance communications.

Often when I I subclip, I want them to go in the open bin ... which they might, or might not.

Many will stay in their original bin. Easily the majority.

Some will go into the open bin.

Some may go into the main project level, and not a specific bin.

So if I create 20 subclips, I will need to wrangle a few into the bin I want them in.

And while the engineers agree (as I've talked about this with several) that this is annoying to the user, I don't think they see this as embarrassing. Just annoying.

What thee and me definitely agree on is we'd like more consistency in bin behaviors.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, y'know, here's the thing:

It didn't kill me, *because I labeled my subclips by what bin they were for*.

But I can see if I was a newbie assistant editor, clipping things out for my boss all day, and I didn't know that the default was *not* the obvious "put it in the same bin as the master clip", I could lose a whole 10 hour day, and maybe my job.

So while this is P4 for me, I think it's P3 overall.

We'll see what they think.

Reading their User Voice site, I see the product manager says "No" the right way; you got any feel for how often he says "you bet!"

🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At times. Adobe corporate policy requires playing very close to the best on any potential or possible changes. Essentially, we'll know they were thinking about it when it appears in a release.

So it might be something we will never see, or that they are ready to release in a week, and we won't know either way.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, six months later, it would appear that the answer is "we're just putting all our nuts in one bin; we don't actually read those fora at all".

At least partly because of this, the project got back-burnered, and I don't know if there's been any motion in the most recent release or not.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

learning by doing

You lost me

Those two things are not unrelated.  First learn, then do.  Start below.

Adobe Premiere Pro Learn & Support

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Jim, Neil's followup response was much more helpful than yours.  You learn your way, I'll learn mine.

Which is not necessarily theirs; that's what fora are *for*.

This *is* "learning", in short.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Jim's suggestion is quite wise. There are some useful free tutorials on the web but most of the free are worth what they cost, or actually teach bad practices.

Spending a month or two months of subscription fees for lynda.com/LinkedIn-Learning or a couple other great teaching sites that have downloaded media and projects you can practice on while studying is FAR more than worth the cost and time.

You'll be a far faster and a more capable editor. More quickly than just poking the box.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Jim, Neil's followup response was much more helpful than yours.

So says the man who ate today, without learning how to fish.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize not everyone gets your help method, Jim, and it's too bad.

I think when I started out a few years back, thee and shooternz (Craig of New Zealand) were the two most "curmudgeonly" types on this forum ... short, pithy answers. And typically towards "what did you expect?" implications to my plights. Not at all ... comforting. Or sympathetic.

Short comments with short pointers about where to actually, like, learn something.

I followed that advice ... and it made a huge difference, and that rather quickly. I learned more from following the pointers you two sent me ... well, and of course, Ann and a few others ... than I ever could have just poking the program then asking questions here.

So ... thanks, you've been a major resource here for so long. I appreciate your thoughts!

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just revisited JIm's reply, in case I'd misremembered it, and I see that I have not.

It amounted to RTFM.  The *entire* FM.

That's not a useful response to a question as specific as the one I asked -- a question that makes it clear that I'm not *starting* from Milepost 0.  Or at least, that's what it was *intended* to do.  I've answered a couple of tech support questions in my time as well; that's not an approach I take, and for good reason.

I'm sorry the way I learn isn't compatible with the way you "teach", Jim, but that's not my fault.

Start a man a fire, and he'll be warm all night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

Thanks again for your help, Neil.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I have not misunderstood your needs, I maybe found a turn around fast enough that is not so complicated, mostly because you can concentrate on the choices then you can split them in subclips.

You create Chapters on the Clip you want to extract subclips, wherever you want to have splitting points.
You Right click it + "Duplicate" then rename it.
You double click on whichever Chapter Marker you need then click on "Playhead position" and copy its time.

Right click + "Edit subclip" and paste above Playhead position in Start and repeat the process for End.

Right Click  + "New Sequence from clip" and that's all!

Hope it helps!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
promo
COLLABORATION TIPS

Powerful video collaboration and approval features newly integrated in Premiere Pro