• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

preexisting SRTs stripped from timeline when moving from v14.9 to 15 !!??

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

I have a workflow that entails external creation of SRTs, which I have been importing into Premiere 14, and placing on a video track. I have literally hundreds of complex projects. When opening and converting the project into 15, the SRTs are no longer on the timeline, and in addition they have not been moved to the new closed captions track. I will note the SRTS have been imported into the media bin unattached to any timeline, though their formatting is out of whack as well. What can I do, besides the extremely unuseful suggestion that I manually reinsert each damned SRT, which at this point is impossible? Thank you for any help that you can give.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to get my head around "hundreds of complex projects"!

There is no good solution to this.

The best option is to finish the projects in version 14. There are MANY differences in the caption workflow. If you've done any formatting changes, I worry there will be unanticipated problems once you have the projects in version 15.

If the srts are messed up when you open the projects in 15, I'd consider exporting a sidecar from 14 and then making the new caption track in 15 by importing that sidecar.

The details matter, but these are my first guesses at some way forward.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Stan, thanks for taking the time to thoughtfully reply! Oddly, or not, considering that this is software and I am not, it is suddenly working now. I have the habit of removing the old cache and starting a new cache at major version changes, and stepping backwards though the disaster, that is the significant undo that seems to have fixed it, so this alarming story is, at the moment, a false alarm. Yes hundreds of timelines sigh their tiny puffs of relief, and I will post here again if the solution proves to be false. Once again, thank you to the community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update!

In the old workflow (and I don't know about the new one), captions were often cached as a preview file.

So keeping the old preview files worked? Or removing them?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes, keeping the old preview files worked. So far the only difference in formatting [a first look] has seemed to have been  caption transparency, but that is easily reapplied, and again this might be user perception error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines