Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premeir Pro 23.2 Playback Dropping Frames

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm having serious playback issues and I'd love for some expert assistance.

Basically what's happening is when I add any media to an old or new project, then click play, I see (and hear) there are frame drops. This media could be a video, audio, and it even happens on images - when I stretch an image and let the project play for i.e. 10 seconds, it will have quite a few frame drops.

I've watched 100 how-videos and read other Adobe tickets, and I still have no solution. I upgraded to the new Premier Pro v. 23.2 yesterday, and upon launching said my graphics driver was outdated and to "FIX" it. So I installed the Studio Driver v. 531.41, and sidelined the NVIDIA Game Ready Driver driver.

After installation, launched Premeir Pro and started experiencing the issue. I haven't used premier pro for a few months, so I don't know if either of these two updates are what caused the issue or not.

Her'es my specs and troubleshooting steps.

Computer Specs:

Windows 11 Home v. 10.0.22621 Build 22621

Dell XPS 8950 SSD 1TB x64-based desktop

12th Gen Intel(R) Core i7-12700, 2100 MhZ 12 Cores 20 logical processors

SMBIOS v. 3.4 using mode UEFI

32GB Memory GDDR6 (Micron)

Graphics is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (Using Studio Driver v. 531.41)

Dual monitors 1920x1080x60 hertz

Troubleshooting steps (not in order):

Reverted back to previous version of Premier Pro (23.1, then 22.6.4) (then back to 23.2)

Toggled the Mercury CUDA renderer on and off

Made sure Audio Hardware was set to correct devices. Toggled latency, here's one test:

• I set all channels to off but Video source 1/Audio source 1.
  • Set latency to 500 (still had frame drops, more than 200 latency)
  • Set latency to 30 (the frame indicator showed no drops but I can see/hear latency in certain parts of timeline where a drop would likely show if latency was increased)

Tried different media types (video, audio, image). Here's what I found:

• They all have frame drops. Even a still image stretched over the timeline has intermittent drops.
  • Tried turning off all media types one by one with no difference
  • Tried downloading fresh new source media from Envato Elements and added them to new projects, with no difference

Applied global FX mute even though I didn't need to do this

Set playback resolution to lowest possible 1/4 - 1/16

Disabled High Quality Playback

Created media proxies via Media Encoder formatted as H.264 and target bitrate of 2 Mbps

• Using the proxy seems to drop a few less frames, but they still drop

Tried different frame rates, 10, 24, 29.97, 50. Something I noticed:

• Let's say the video is 29.97 fps. If I set frame rate to 10, then playback the media it won't drop frames, but I can see/hear the content skipping, similar to how I explained above about setting the latency to 30 and not see frame drops but seeing/hearing the media skips.

Disabled refresh growing files

Confirmed H264/HEVC hardware accelerated decoding for Nvidia is enabled

Deleted cache media

• My cache is sent to the C: drive of my internal SSD. The same SSD where my project files are located.
  • My media files are located on an external 5TB HDD. But like mentioned, tried testing with fresh media content (videos) downloaded from Envato Elements and saved to my internal SSD, so that eliminates the problem being my external HDD.

Everyone says to set Memory in preferences to Performance, but that dropdown option is no longer there.

• Installed RAM is 32GB and RAM reserved for other apps is 3GB. There's 29GB available to Premeir Pro.

Enable Mercury Transit in Playback is disabled, and so is pause media encoder queue during playback

I tried disabling my monitor extension to monitor 2, and only ran monitor 1

I uninstalled Premier Pro completely and deleted Media Cache and Media Cache Files.

• Also deleted Roaming data for premeir pro before reinstalling Premeir Pro 23.1

Ran memory diagnostic on computer, no issue

Checked GPU and computer temperatures - normal

Monitored CPU, memory, disc, and GPU during playback - normal

• CPU doesn't go above 50% and GPU doesn't go above 75% when scrubbing
    • Disabled audio during scrubbing
  • CPU sits around 5-17%. GPU sits around 15-20%

Checked windows administrative, software and hardware logs - don't see any errors related

Tried reinstalling the NVIDIA Studio driver multiple times and restarting computer

Tried rendering the media. This does reduce frame drops during playback, but they're still there.

Overall, I really don't know what the issue is. I can't imagine my hardware is the issue, because it's a $2k computer I just bought new from Dell less than a year ago. I've done some gaming on it, but I wouldn't think something has gone wrong already, as my logs and testing check out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Aaron

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I FIXED THE ISSUE!

The issue was driver-related. But not my GPU driver, my BIOS driver. I went to my computer's manufacture website (Dell), and scanned my system for outdated drivers. Amongst the 5 drivers listed, there was a CRITICAL update for BIOS. After I installed these updates, restarted the computer and let the Firmware update finish, I then went into Premiere Pro, ran my playback on Full quality without rendering and had 0 frame drops on a 29.97 FPS. Voila.

Here are the drivers updated, for anyone with specifications as me:

BIOS | Dell XPS 8950 System BIOS 8 MB INSTALLED
Application | Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update 26 MB INSTALLED
Storage | Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Application 52 MB INSTALLED
Chipset | Intel Management Engine Components Installer 370 MB INSTALLED
Audio | Realtek High Definition Audio Driver 277 MB INSTALLED

They don't teach you these things in schools, kids. Thanks for any reads and I hope this helps someone.

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UPDATE: What fixed my issue a week ago, is now not the solution. As of a few days ago, I am having the issue again.

I have no clue what is going on.

Every time I click play, my project drops frames for 3-5 seconds. No matter where in the timeline I star to playback from, it lags/drops frames for 3-5 seconds. It is the most frustrating thing I've experienced and I don't know what the deal is.

Is it related to a driver? My Realtek Audio perhaps?

Thanks,

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines