• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premier pro becomes laggy or unusable when I add photos or perhaps too many clips

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

First I would like to say that my computers specifications greatly exceed premier pros requirements.

I have been making videos using premier pro and putting in edits etc like anyone else does.

However, I have found that when my video exceeds the 7-10 minute mark and/or if I add in a photo it all of a sudden becomes extremely laggy/unusable. When I try to move on the timeline, I cannot see it moving. I can play the video, but I cannot make any further edits unless I undo/remove the previous clip or photo. 

This is very annoying for me as I don't understand what the problem is.

I have tried all the helpful tips I could have found such as rendering the clips to become green bars but even when I did that the problem is still the same. 

When this happens, sometimes it crashes as well.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the Media Cache and Media Cache files:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-clear-your-media-cache-in-30-seconds-in-premi...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the preferences:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn't work, try Preferences > Audio Hardware and set Input to None.

If that doesn’t work, try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site. If NVIDIA, do a clean installation of the latest Studio Driver (NOT the Game Driver)

If that doesn't work, try creating a new project and import the old one into it.

Also, please help us help you:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-what-information-should-i-provide-when-asking-a-ques...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the pixel sizes of your images?

What are the complete computer specs, including hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, what capacity, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are you on macOS or PC? If you are on PC and have an NVIDIA card, install the 528.49 studio drivers. Report back after doing so. Hope to help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PC. 

I've tried everything and still no fix. Only solution at the moment is to export video and then just continue edits on it as a new project. 

Kind regards, 

Matthew Kwong 
Mathematics Teacher 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matthew,

Sorry about all this. Can we get more info about your computer system and those images? Are they larger than the sequence size? Are you scaling the images? We're flying blind here, so help us out with more info. That would be tremendously helpful.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can just tell you that my specifications are about double of everything you have suggested. 16GB ram etc and better graphics card and processor I think its like 5200 AMD RYzen or something.

The photos or images are not such a big deal for me. 

What I do is I put a bunch of video clips or files together and compile it. Along the way I add in music in the background and add text to the videos and eventually at some point - maybe I'm adding too much? It becomes laggy and unusable unless I delete the previous clip/file I have added.

So I am wondering if I am adding too many clips or files etc to the sequence that causes this but I would also think that it shouldn't happen?! What about people that use premier pro for much longer and intense videos? My videos are about 10 minutes long and I don't usually add too many graphics and the graphics I implement are simple texts or ellipses/circles that's all.

Basically the program will still be open but if I try to move along the timeline or even change the decibels of a file or make any edits, I am essentially unable to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, Matthew. Helpful.

I can understand your frustration. I've been in your situation before and it is frustrating. I would look to your computer system. Do you have an NVIDIA GPU? You might try installing the 528.49 studio drivers. You may have the game-ready drivers installed. These have been faulty as of late when using Premiere Pro. If you need help installing an NVIDIA studio driver let us know. After doing so, please return to tell us if the problem has dissipated. Sorry for the issue. I hope we can assist.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a radeon RX 6800 XT.

I have also noticed that when I reach about 9 clips/items in my overall sequence, then it becomes unusable.
[edited by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matthew,

Can you try updating your AMD GPU drivers? Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did and it doesn't work. It appears that I experience this issue when I have more than 9 items in my sequence whether it be videos, music or photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matthew,

Thanks. What kind of video clips are you using? Are they from a camera? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. They are screen recordings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

OK, thanks for the info. Often, screen recordings are recorded using a variable frame rate. Although Premiere Pro can support these, if they are too far out of spec, they won't perform well. The solution is to transcode them using FFMPEG based encoding software. The popular ones are Handbrake and Shutter Encoder. I prefer the latter as it has access to pro codecs, like ProRes LT and others. Give it a try and  see if it works for you. Let us know what happens.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does my premier pro become unusable once I have 9 items in the sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without knowing what your computer specs are, your guess is as good as ours.

Please provide more details on your system.

Help us help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I ran into this exact same issue. I have no idea why it is a problem. As soon as I had more than 9 items in a sequence, the timeline would lag and not respond. 

Easiest workaround I found was to create "bins" by right-clicking in your project library. Drag and drop the 9 items you have into the newly created bin. You can then import and use more files like normal. Absolutely ridiculous but it works. Give it a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16 GB of RAM is the bare minimum of what Adobe advices these days in their hardware specifications: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/hardware-recommendations.html

I have 128 GB in my system... which is from early 2017.

Have you checked the performance statistics of your system when you're experience these lags?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines