• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premier Pro Lagging (I know, unheard of, right?)

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having a lot of issues with Premier Pro at the moment, all of which I believe are probably connected, but I have no idea how. But here goes:

Response Time

When I press the spacebar on my keyboard to playback, the response time can be very slow. Additionally, when I go to press it again to stop the playback, Premier will often ignore it completely and continue playing, sometimes for 30 seconds before eventually picking it up. In this time, nothing else will respond and I just have to sit there and wait. The same goes for physically clicking the play button on screen with my mouse. It just doesn't respond.

This is the same with changing workspaces, adding effects, and dragging media for example. It's just most prominent and annoying when I'm trying to watch something back and accurately stop it on a music beat or something.

Panels not Updating

I'll use effects as an example here, but this carries across all sorts of areas. When clicking one of the drop down arrows to open an effects subfolder, nothing will happen. However if I press the drop down arrow, then click the menu bar at the top of the screen (file, edit, clip, sequences etc) the panel in question will update and open the sub folder.

Whats weird about this is if I open the drop down, then click and drag in the general area where the effect should be, it picks it up! It's just the panel on the screen itself has not updated... until I press the menu bar.

As another example, when adjusting sliders on in the colour panel, I can drag them and see the colours adjusting, but the slider itself does not move... until I press the menu bar again. Then it all updates.

Clip Ghosts not Appearing

Forgive me for poor terminology on this one. But hopefully I can explain it well enough to understand...

When you click and drag files on the timeline, the clip opacity drops so you can see exactly where it is going to land when you drop it. If you have snap on, it will also snap to other clips.

My problem is, the ghosting or snapping does not happen. The clip stays where it is. So I have to click and drag the clip to the rough area, and shimmy it using trial and error until it lands correctly. Despite the snap lines not appearing either, I can see that it still helps with the final adjustments if I'm close enough with my guessing.

Summary

There are a few other minor issues that happen, but I believe these are all linked to the same graphics glitch happening somewhere in the system. So now the question is...

What have I already done to fix it?

I've done everything that every YouTube video recommends, but am yet to see someone posting about the same issue as me. But just to summarise some of the steps I've already taken...

Drives: Premier is on C: which is an M2. The project, clips, proxies and assets are on D: which is an SSD

Hardware Specs:

- CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core

- GRAPHICS10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080

- RAM128GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz

- OS AND PROGRAM M2 SSD: 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)

- STORAGE SSD: 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120 2.5" SSD, (up to 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)

- SCREEN:  Dell U3818 Ultrawide

Proxies: I am using proxies which are being saved in the same destination as the project. I can confirm these are enables with the Proxy button below the playback window.

GPU Accelaration: Is most certainly on. Same thing happens when it turns off.

Playback Resolution: Dropped to 1/8. I also have High Quality Playback unchecked too.

RAM: I have 100GB Allocated to Premier Pro

FX: Same problems occur when all FX are turned off

Hide: Same problem happens when layers are hidden

Task Manager: Everything in Task Manager is running absolutely fine. (I previously had a problem with video decoding clipping due to the fact I wasn't using proxies... oops. This is since fixed.)

Heat: No issues with heat. The PC is clean, new and well ventilated

Keyboard and Mouse: Im using the Logitech MX Series Keyboard and Mouse which are fully charged. However the problems persist when they are plugged in, and they work perfectly fine on other programs and windows. Just premier pro is struggling.

Latest Version: Premier Pro is updated to the latest version (15.4) although the same things happened with the versions before.

I've always had issues with Premier Pro due to some reason or another. By this point, I will literally pay someone to visit me and look at everything in person to get it sorted. If you're in the Hampshire area in the UK, I've got a job for you...

Cheers,

Matt

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow ... not having any of this at the moment, and you get my total sympathy!

Just a general comment, if there was any way you could split off a separate drive (SSD) for the PrPro cache, cache database, and audio cache files that might help. It does on my rigs.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the detailed write up regarding your issue. I wish more people would take the time to give details like this.

I've got a few general troubleshooting questions, also, I'm going to assume you've already tried resetting the Premiere preferences and reinstalling Premiere. If you haven't, please let me know.

1. If you open a brand new project, right click in the bin and insert/create a Black Video or Adobe Universal Counter, then add it to the timeline, do you encounter the same response time issue?
  2. I've seen issues before with 4k ultrawide monitors with regards to how Windows Display Scaling interacts with the Adobe UI. Can you open your Windows Display settings, find the setting for Display Scaling and change it to "100% - No Scaling"? Please note this is for troubleshooting only. I'm not saying this is the permanent solution, I'm simply trying to find the cause of this issue.
  3. In Premiere Audio Preferences, set audio input to "None." For some reason, this setting can affect timeline playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that. No problems with the black video, all seems reponsive enough. I tried to push it as much as I could by doing lots of operations such as opening and closing tabs while pressing the play/stop button. But it held out pretty well. There issues only really become a problem when I'm deeper into a project, as opposed to when I'm starting. (I've attached a screenshot of the timeline so you can get a sense of how much I've done)

I've changed the display setting from 125% to 100% and will see how it fares. The graphics glitches don't happen as often as the slow response time with the play/stop button. So I'll have to test this one out a little longer and see if it still happens.

I've now changed the input to 'none' but haven't really noticed any changes. Still a slow response time.

As for your early questions, yes I have tried re-installing Premier and had no luck. I will say that the graphics glitches are somewhat new. However the slow response time has always been an issue and is the biggest annoyance to me right now. I previously put this down to my old PC and the absense of proxies. But with this new setup, and the use of proxies, I really did not expect to experience the same issues.

Cheers,

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

Sorry for the issue. I suspect your issue is related to that 15.2 bug, which has to do with audio waveforms in your nested sequences (shown in your screenshot). If you began this project in 15.2 and then updated it, the problems are probably still there. Any new sequence you create should not have this problem going forward, though.

The workaround for 15.2 users is to either remove audio completely from nested sequences, or to turn off audio waveforms with a custom Keyboard Shortcut you can set. 

Try these things and let us know if this workaround works for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kevin,

I seem to have missed that memo. Now that I've deleted the nested audio, it certainly seems to be running smoother. I'll give it some more thorough testing and will post in the next day or so if it's a success.

On the subject of nested clips, the main reason I make them is because I want to stabilise slow-mo footage. But obviously you cannot combine warp stabiliser with a speed change on the same clip.

Is nesting the clip still considered the best solution for this? Or have I missed that memo too?

Thanks for your help. I'll keep you updated.

- Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines