Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premier Pro Proxy for an After Effects linked comp

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 
Was wondering what the best workflow for me is.
I edit in Premiere and occasionally I will need to use proxys, but sometimes I dont need to. However, If I select some clips and send to After Effects for some compositing or collage/motion graphics work, as wanted, it appears back in Premier Pro automatically. By now however, the composition has become too heavy for smooth playback on my machine, so I would normally want to  make a proxy, but I cannot, because its not a bit of footage, but a link to the AE comp.
Whats a good, the normal woprkflow in this situation? Do I now need to render out the AE and imported into PP and line it up in order to be able to make a proxy, or, is there another sneakier way?

Mark

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click and choose "Render and Replace".  Pick a setting that's a good match for the rest of your full-resolution source footage.

If you find you need to make changes later, right-click again and then choose "Restore Unrendered".

The resulting file shows in the Project tab, but as far as I am aware attempting to make a Proxy of it won't work due to the link to After Effects.  You could render a low-resolution version of the _Rendered.mov file in the Finder or Explorer and then manually import that and place it above the rendered and replaced Comp, but don't remove the rendered and replaced Comp from your Timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok thankes very much... thats basically "the Old Skool" way of doing it I guess...
I used to render all AE and drag it in, then I would send to AE from PP, but alwasy go back to PP and undo (to keep the originals) then render in AE and drag in... (I think because Dynamic link wasnt robust enought to trust then)...
So actually now, once I drag in my full res render, i can then just make a normal proxy out of that... 
shame there isnt a setting in PP to create a proxy or low res view on an imported AE comp... cos ypu can just drag in comps even though that havemt been sent fropm PP, (which I actually didnt know till today- seeing as my flow is/was alwasy PP > AE>>PP for rendering).
Anyway, thanks.. @Warren Heaton 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines