• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premier Pro runs system out of application memory (CC 2014 & CC 2015 on OS X)

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2014 Nov 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I edited about a 20 minute clip of video, the memory consumption of Premiere Pro CC 2014 on my MacBook Pro (Core i7, 16GB memory, 500GB SSD with 150GB free, Yosemite) grew and grew. Now, when I open the project, Premiere Pro immediate consumes 30GB of memory! Which means that opening my project now takes about 15 minutes (the blank Premiere application appears in about 2 minutes, but the panels do not complete their slow fill-in for another 13 minutes - all the while the cursor is spinning, not allowing me to select anything, and activity Monty tells me that Premiere is unresponsive). Worse still, when I try to export my project, memory usage grows above 60GB, until my system gives up and reports "Your System has run out of application memory". Keep in mind that I been careful to reboot the system, reset PRAM, and run nothing significant except Premiere, Activity Monitor and Finder. I have Optimized for Memory in preferences, and even tried Limiting Memory usage to 8GB (even though this refers to RAM, not VM).

I monitor Premiere steadily gobbling up resources as VM usage and Memory Pressure increase. I understand that the proximal cause of the error message is probably an excessive number of page faults triggered by the massive memory hogging by Premiere. However, the root cause is Premiere using so much memory.

My 1920x1080 project timeline and bin contain .MTS files (from AVCHD footage), .mpg files (converted via ffmpeg from .TOD files), One EPS graphic, Five .PNG graphics from PowerPoint, One Title, and less than 10 audio files extracted for editing in Audition.

When the export begins, Premiere estimates about 1 hour to encode my timeline. After about 35 minutes, Premier has used up over 60GB of VM which causes Yosemite to report an error, and pause the application.

One solution I suppose is to tell Premier to stop buffering so much content. I have a fast SSD with over 100GB remaining at the time of error, and I can live with the export taking an hour longer if some artifacts are left on disk.

Is there a way to tell Premiere to load less into Virtual Memory?

Message was edited by: Kevin Monahan

Reason: needed more descriptive title

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 16, 2015 Feb 16, 2015

In File/Project Settings/Generel under "Video Rendering and Playback" switch the renderer from "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Open CL)" to "Software Only".

It will be a slower render but at least it should render. Works for me anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jennifer, you can download Premiere 2014 CC from your creative cloud.  Click on the CC icon in the menu bar.  Then go to APPS, then FIND ADDITIONAL APPS.  Choose Previous Version.  Scroll down to Premiere Pro, click on Install and a drop down menu will appear allowing you to download and install all the way back to Premiere CS6.

I also had to break up and export my timeline in 2 min segments.  My memory leak was caused by the Lighting Effect.  Other effects known to create the leak are RGB Color, Timecode, Unsharp Mask and Lightning.  Someone suggested it might be all openGL effects.  I was able to remove my effects and export with no leaks.  Until Adobe sends out an update and I can verify the fix, I'm going to stay on Premiere 2014 as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere CC 2015 (9.0.2)

Just installed 2015 9 days ago, from CC 2014, so I'm assuming it's the most up to date.

Macbook Pro OSx Yosemite v. 10.10.5 / 16 gb RAM

DSLR 1080p 24 fps source footage

I was exporting an hour long video to H264 1080p 24 fps and about 10% through I would get the error message that my computer has run out of application memory, and I would have to force quit Premiere. I have no other applications open at the time and I restart my computer just before with the same error. I have no third party effects or codecs installed. Lumetri panel has not been used nor open on this project since it was a conversion from a CC 2014 to 2015 once I updated. All I've needed to do with this film since updating is export. I've optimized memory for both memory and performance but had no luck. I was using Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration. I've switched it to software only, and attempting to export again now. The problem only occurs during output and rendering.

UPDATE: Success - changing the project settings to software only for mercury playback worked. Thank goodness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution that worked for me...

As of Nov. 8, 2015. I'm running on 2015 Macbook Pro, 16gb RAM, 512 SSD. Yosemite OS. Up to date PP CC version. Experiencing PP "paused" and had to force quite after running out of application memory. It was taking 4-6 hours to export a 5 min 1080 Go Pro video to Youtube at 480 SD. It would process for a couple of hours then "pause" because it was out of application memory (at one point I saw it was using up to 70gb of hard drive for this and it still wasn't enough). I always had to ''force quit".

After trying many things (closing apps, deleting preferences, etc.) the thing I found that made the difference was changing the "project setting" option from "Mercury playback engine GPU acceleration" to "Mercury playback engine software only". What a difference! Exported my 5 min video in 19 min. Still slower than I'd like, but no freezing, no running out of application memory, and not taking 6 hours.

Adobe - It's not me, it's you. I'm a basic user of this software running it on a commonly available computer and OS. The software should work. For the price I pay, it should work very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2015 Dec 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching from "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Open CL)" to "Software Only" worked for me. THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought this issue was fixed for a while.  Seems it is back again with the newest Adobe app update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I had this issue before. But now it seems to be back in force with the latest update.  Happens a lot when the Warp Stabilizer analysis kicks in.   I get a lot of windows saying that my system is running low on memory even thought in my task manager only half of it is used throughout the entire OS.  Lots of BSOD because my graphic card crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running into the same problem as highlight in this thread.

I have the documented workarounds such as

- turning off sync

- switching from "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Open CL)" to "Software Only".

When I first came upon the problem I thought it may have been something I had done. I have cleared up over 100gb of working space on my main drive (SSD). I am rendering to a working drive with over 600gb of free space. My estimated video length if I ever get it to render will be under 2 minutes.  The file size is estimated at 135MB.

It always hangs at the same spot in the rendering which is about 80% in. The estimated rendering time is 27 minutes on a MacBook Air 1.7Ghz with 8GB of RAM. It does have warp stabilization and some color correction set.

I have 16 hours of tinkering with this in what I expected to be a simple one hour project.

Looking forward to a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thought I'd throw this out there. When the update came around last time it fixed the memory leak issue. However, you're using a air so you don't have a dedicated GPU. If you're using graphic intensive effects that could be an issue. I know that running denoiser from Red Giant seriously eats up render times and I have a dedicated GPU. Have you run the export/render and watched the memory usage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Memory usage doesn't seem to be crazy until we get the "Your system has run out of application memory". It goes from between 800MB to over a 1.1GB Free until that point.

This last time I even removed what I thought was the offending clip and then brought it back in fresh. I may bring it over to my PC and see if it will render there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I ran into Premiere memory issues on my MacBook Pro and it would bring up the "Force Quit" box during my render, I found out from Adobe's tech that the cause is my Intel Iris graphics card (even though they have it listed on their supported graphics card, they said it's a known card to crash when ANY effect is applied to your project). As soon as I changed the Renderer setting in Premiere to "Software Only", I have had no issues with memory when rendering.

To change this setting, go to File > Project Settings > General and update the "Video Rendering and Playback Renderer" to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" which will bypass the graphics card that's causing the issue. Hope this helps solve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this same problem, can't render my full (4K, FS7 MXF, 4min) sequence without trying multiple times.

My workaround has been to render as an image sequence and continually just resume the render from where I get the "You have run out of application memory." error. I then combine fragmented image sequences (and audio export) in a new timeline for easy rendering. It's a mess, but it works.

I am using the quite CPU intensive Cineplus plugin, which is likely causing the issue. But I'd prefer not to scrap the plugin entirely as my workaround works, it's just messy.

Any my secret menu in Premiere that might reset the cache similar to After Effects? Or workarounds for Cineplus?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started having this problem today (Nov 8, 2016). I've been running the latest Premiere Pro and After Effects CC releases for about a year on my Mac Pro (Late 2013), 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5 with 64 GB of RAM 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC, Graphics card is AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB. Operating system is OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. Haven't encountered this issue at all until today. Both Premiere Pro and After Effects have triggered this issue. In Pr I'm just working with H.264 .mov's out of a Canon 7D Mark II at 1080p. In After Effects I'm working with really basic text and shape animations. There aren't loads of layers, there aren't any effects other than a gaussian blur on an adjustment layer in Premiere (which I've used before without issue). I've worked with much larger, more complex projects in both programs without this issue being triggered.

After receiving this error twice (rebooted after full shut down the first time) I noticed that my adobe apps all had updates. Figuring that that might be the cause of the problem, I updated to the 2017 releases, and at first everything was fine, but then within ten minutes the issue happened again. And again. And again. I opened the activity monitor, and it appears as if the adobe programs aren't clearing out memory on the go or something (the side of the tech that I am still ignorant about).

In the Activity Monitor, in the Memory tab, the Memory Used will build and build just before jumping up to 62.44 GB, and stay there until I force quit Ae or Pr, whichever is clogging the memory. Once quit forcibly, the Memory Used drops back down to around 4-6 GB, and fluctuates as any other program operates (eg. Chrome, Safari, Spotify, etc.). In the past I've run multiple programs at once for extended periods without any problems.

I am very reluctant to turn off the Mercury engine as the advanced capability is part of the reason we invested in this computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm going through exact the same problem.
I use M1 macbook pro, and my premiere project crashes when I try to preview the parts I applied red-giant plug-in.
It went fine few months ago, but the error started from June.
Is there anything I can do to resolve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have same issue, its been almost 2 weeks trying to render my video.

When it gets to 58% or 59% a windows pops up saying that "

Your system has run out of application memory." And it stops rendering then I have to force quit Adobe

I've tried a lot of stuffs such as: software only to render, Adobe media encoder, closing lumetric panels, deleting cache, but none of this worked, wondering if someone can help me fix it.

im using MacBook Pro 16GB Ram 500GB ssd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines