• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premier ProCC 22 crashes when I open project, etc. It never ends!

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on a project and Premiere crashes - which is to say Premiere abrupty closes; OS remains stable - no hanging, etc. Moving forward, all past versions of that project in auto save are unopenable. I create a new project, import sequences or whole project and sooner or later Premiere abruptly closes again and that project too becomes unopenable. Sometimes it happens once a day, once a week, or 10+ times a day.  This is a tired old Adobe poblem that I am just sick to death of and it -  just never gets solved. Premiere seems to be simply unusable and unreliable. I can't work professionally like this.

Premiere version: 22.4.0 (and all previous versions going back to 2021. Computer was purchased 4/2021)
OSX: Monterey 12.4 (always up to date)

Computer: iMac 27-inch 2020 3.6 10-core i9, 32Gb RAM DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 550 XT 8GB
RAM allowcation : 26GB
Plug-ins: Film Impact (4.6.5 always up to date)

Here's what I've tried to no avail: rebooting, clearing media cache, zapping PRAM, rebuilding Film Impact Libraries, creating new project and importing old sequences or entire project while not importing old work spaces, creating new workspaces, using only ProRes footage, all images are only 72dpi.

Anything else I can try?
Incidentaly, this does not happen with my 2019 13" MacBook with up to date OS and Premiere.

#Adobe please advise!

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try uninstalling Premiere Pro with the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool. Then reinstall it but don't install the Film Impact plugin yet. If it works fine without the plugin, we already have an idea what could be causing the issue. Then, install the plugin and confirm if the issue returns. If it does come back, there is undoubtedly something wrong with the plugin's compatibility with the version of Premiere Pro you are using. You could try installing an older working version of the plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion, Byron. The TL;DR is that I don't think Film Impact is the issue here.
I'm not sure if I used Cleaner Tool correcty because after I used it to uninstall Premiere and then reinstalled, everything was pretty much the way it was before I went through that process. I had to manually remove Film Impact from my Libraries and also manually get rid of old work spaces and clear caches.
When I attempted to open up a previsouly crashed projet after reinstall, the only difference was that a dialog box appears showing that the effects used in the sequence are now missing, and then Premiere crashes.
The sequences from the project in question can be secussfully imported into a new project. I can work with them, export – sometimes no problems at all. Or somethimes premiere crashes again and then that new project becomes unuseable.
The confounding things is that the problem seems intermittent. If the problem was an incompatability issue b/t Film Impact and Premiere, I would assume that the problem would be universal and widespread. Nothing in my searches seems to suggest that.
That being said, I would say that there is still a bit of due diligence that needs to be done. I'm going to reach out to Film Impact, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your 2019 MacBook have Film Impact installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, my macbook has film impact

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should say that after experimenting this weekend I discovered that a project that crashes on my iMac is also no longer openable on my Macbook. While I'm not 100% certain, I don't think I ever experienced these persistent crashes on my Macbook before, they've always originated on my iMac. And to be clear, it's Premiere that is crashing; my OS is stable.
Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry. It sounds like you have a corrupt project. Do you have any backups? You might try checking out your Auto Save folder for a working version and build your project back up from there.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I do indeed believe that these projects are corrupt. My concern is why it keeps happening. While there is no regularity per se, projects keep getting corrputed with an unacceptable frequency regardless of Premiere version or OS version over the last 12-15 months. I need help in determining the cause!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I'm on vacation now, so please forgive me if I can't totally assist you. You may want to contact Adobe support directly if you can't be helped here. The video techs will be in the office tomorrow morning.

As a Mac guy, I sometimes do an erase and install of macOS if there are problems with my NLE I just cannot wring out. That is pretty rare, though.

Short of that, deleting the media cache with all projects closed from Media Cache preferences can help, as can deleting preferences. Testing with brand new projects and media that is unrelated to the media I usually use in projects is another thing to test. I tend to use Productions these days, which keeps my project files more manageable.

The media you use can also matter a lot. What kind of media are you using? Which camera is it?

I'm sure you'll be able to figure this out with a bit more troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines