Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premier Use 100% CPU and not the GPU on files Sony A7siii 4K 4:2:2 120 Fps Mp4

Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening to the whole team!

I have a huge problem for a week now. I made a new computer strong enough to be able to work my files in full resolution but as when using the files of Sony A7siii 4k 120 fps 4: 2: 2 (10bit color) mp4 in premiere the premier uses 100% CPU / 14% GPU and I have LAG in Playback.
When I use a Sony A7siii 4K 4: 2: 0 file (8 bit color) it works perfectly (pemier use 13% CPU / 50% CUDA & NO LAG in Playback). So the problem is 10bit color! Is there a solution to this? I have been contacting the company for 3 days now and they do not find me a solution!

PC specs:
11th Gen Intel (R) Core (TM) i9-11900 @ 2.50GHz turbo 5.20 GHz
RTX 3080 TI (10G Ram)
128 giga ram on board
Windows 11

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW: You can

Use can use Shutter Encoder to convert the files to a more edit friendly codec. Maybe try ProRes LT or even PROXY format within Shutter Encoder for easy to edit formats with 'better' files size. Or ProRes 422. I tried them all with your sample clip, and the all work well and convert quickly.

https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/

Also, you can use a proxy workflow which works very well in PP. Use ProRes or Cineform proxy files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered the same problem as you, I tried to shoot multiple videos in different formats and import them into PR for preview. The result is that no matter which encoder is used, the 4:2:2 video cannot be previewed normally, because the PR cannot call the GPU of the graphics card for hardware acceleration, and has to rely entirely on the CPU, which will exhaust the resources of the CPU and cause Stuck and stopped. I guess that's the reason for everything, the current latest version of PR doesn't support hardware acceleration for 422 video.

The only solution is to create a proxy file, or forgo shooting 422 video and use 420 instead. It depends on your needs, if your video needs careful color correction then shooting 422 and creating proxies takes extra time to spend. If your video does not need careful color correction, you can just shoot 420 directly, which will save time in post-production.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried files from the page below and they still work fine on my machine. Is there some difference in these file:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a7s-iii/sony-a7s-iiiVIDEO.HTM

Win11
PP 22.5

12th gen i9, 64gb, nvme drives, and my lowly gtx 1070

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is acceleration support on the 12th generation of Core 9 processors. Everything below is sorry, climb to 4:2:0. I myself experience inconveniences when working with 4:2:2 on Core 9900K. This is crazy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having the same probome. clearlin my case its is the 4:2:2 as well.
trying to fix and convertying the files to 4:2:0 so i can get on with my life.
it is a clearly Premier issue and not my workstation. really a waste of time. soory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest fix is (if you work on aa laptop) Unplug the Power cored. CPU will be normal again.

Update- Premier didnt work well with the Proxies, firs did not sent to En properly, than after updates. it did but when the files were converted into proxies the 100% CPU issue apears again. than when rendering the project again 100% CPU, every time Premier read the 422 files it shoots up to max CPU/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Will never get 422 into premier again. next time wont Proxy at all. will convert the files into H264 420 

when the power cord is unplagd th GPU goes into 100%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines