• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 2018 won’t import DV AVI files on my MacBook Pro anymore?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro CC 2018 Version 12.1.0 won’t import DV AVI files with MacBook Pro any more

Hi – I’ve just updated Premiere 2018 and I can no longer import DV AVI files. The files just appear greyed out. MOV files are fine though.

Last week prior to the update the AVI files were importing without a problem!! Why is this? How can I keep using DV AVI files?

The files are:

AVI (OpenDML) (DVCPRO): 13.1 GiB, 1h 1mn

1 Video stream: DV (Sony)

1 Audio stream: PCM

Overall bit rate mode: Constant

Overall bit rate: 30.3 Mbps

Recorded date: 2007-01-02 14:51:03.000

Video: 24.4 Mbps, 720*576 (4:3), at 25.000 fps, DV (Sony) (PAL) (DVCPRO)

Audio 1 536 Kbps, 48.0 KHz, 16 bits, 2 channels, PCM (Little/Signed)

Here’s my computer specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-Inch, Early 2013) Running High Sierra Version 10.13.3

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536

Basically just normal DV AVI files I’ve imported many times up until this update. I've got thousands of these files (at one time captured from Mini DV tape) sitting on external HDD's.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Evan

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

exactly the same here..

timelapse from Sony A7S2 in AVI ...not accepted anymore by premiere pro , nor MediaEncoder.

Converted it by XMediaRecode on another computer to ProRes422HQ in mov container.

Looks quite the same , BUT, I have to change the framerate in the timeline to achieve the proper speed...and this gives me now a more blurry look...way worse then orginally in 12.0.1 with native avi.

The only way , downgrade to 12.1 ...I did it...everything's fine

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, really frustrating, I just made a great timelapse with the A7 timelapse app, which renders out only in AVI and I can't use it. Had to try and convert, but the Resolution now looks like SD. ugh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly the same here..

timelapse from Sony A7S2 in AVI ...not accepted anymore by premiere pro , nor MediaEncoder.

Converted it by XMediaRecode on another computer to ProRes422HQ in mov container.

Looks quite the same , BUT, I have to change the framerate in the timeline to achieve the proper speed...and this gives me now a more blurry look...way worse then orginally in 12.0.1 with native avi.

The only way , downgrade to 12.1 ...I did it...everything's fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that but it gave me a MPEG plugin error, and didnt allow me to export at all!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing, had a project with some files in AVI, and now it doesn't see them (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case, you may convert AVI to Premiere more supported video format with the help of iDealshare VideoGo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downgraded and the DV AVI's worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution, except a downgrade ?

thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The downgraded fixed it for me - now I know

On Wednesday, 25 April 2018, 6:24:30 pm AEST, Pet Muz <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

Premiere 2018 won’t import DV AVI files on my MacBook Pro anymore?

created by Pet Muz in Premiere Pro CC - View the full discussion

Is there a solution, except a downgrade ?

thx

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10340845#10340845 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10340845#10340845

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Premiere Pro CC by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Correct Answer" is  I'm off to DaVinic Resolve and saving myself 50 bucks a month and a lot of grief with these brain dead Adobe updates that do things like this - who decided it was time to ditch 'avi' recognition - yes I know that AVI is a container format for many codecs but practically prior to this update all the avi files here import Ok today all need to be converted first !!!   This software feels like it was designed by a  bunch of high school work experience kids !!

But heck why am I bothering to write this except to vent my spleen - Adobe don't read this, never respond or actually fix these dumb updates!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why pirating their software is just better... those updates just annoying..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT--

Found a walkthrough!

Uninstalel all Adobe Apps with the Cleaner Tool.

Installed PPro 12.0

Open the project and gave me the same error.

Closed the project.

Updated to 12.0.1

Opened the same project and it gave me an error about third party plugins but wasn't the MPG one.

Now it reads DV codec and can export everything...

I mean this still sucks but it worked for me.

Hope this is helpful.

Roy

BE CAREFUL!

I've downgraded to 12.0 and YES it accepts DV codec files. BUT NOW... it says I'm missing a codec (MPG Sequence Settings) and it won't render out anything with mp4 format in the timeline.

I reached  Adobe support, spent almost 3 hours until the solution supposedly was reinstalling from scratch.

Didn't work- grrrrrr

Now I'm stocked with a film delivery trying to figure what to do.

Come on Adobe, really????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I basically had to convert all my AVI and DV footage to .mov's which sucked. I relinked to the new clips i created and everything worked fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main problem is that the original clips have a really strange framerate... 28.72!!!! And the synced all the audio in that framerate an the edited the whole documentary.

I've already tried avery framrate avaiiable and it gets unsychronyzed.

BUT I found a workaround.

-Unistalled latest version of PPro with Adobe Cleaner tool

-Installed version 12.0.0

-Updated to version 12.0.1

Everything is back to normal now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend using HandBrake (free opensource download). It did a pretty good job converting my Sony timelapse app generated AVI's to MPG.

https://handbrake.fr/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anybody a clue ?

I mean what could be the reason for not supporting the .avi codec any more.

I have been working since years and produced zig TB of data. I never would convert all my files to QT which is a legacy format. Apple abandoned the QT in 2011. Adobe should fix this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea but I'd rather convert to MPG than downgrade my Premiere application,

that's a huge hassle esp if you're working on multiple projects at once

like I am.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue... Adobe what gives?

This is a SERIOUS issue - you're locking users out of their files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely ridiculous. There are probably BILLIONS of minutes of DV material and I'd prefer not to transcode my files. I am so tired Apple's arrogance. Stick to PCs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downgrading should not be the answer to this.  I have legacy projects that I have to update consistently that have existing AVI content inside them.

Now this update has completely destroyed these organised projects and transcoding all of the AVI content to something that Premiere will support now, and then relinking them again is not an appropriate fix.  Nor should it be an expectation.  They can't just decide that AVI isn't a format in use anymore when there is still technology built around it as a container.  Premiere was supposed to be a filetype-agnostic workflow, this isn't at all.

Adobe need to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is OBSCENE! What possible justification is there for obsoleting my video library?!

Adobe must fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all! Having the same problem here. I understand that the workaround right now is to backtrack to an earlier version. Until Adobe provides some sort of justification for doing this or acknowledging a bug, I will also raise my hand in support of getting this resolved as it is a MAJOR inconvenience and has made me unable to use a vast amount of complex assets that I can now no longer use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely absurd. What are the people at Adobe smoking? AVI is still a very common format. Not even Media Encoder can help to transcode them! There better be an EXTREMELY important reason for this decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know Premiere does support DV-AVI, if it does not work on your side, you may try to convert AVI to Premiere MPEG-2, MPGE-1 or DivX AVI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert AVI to Premiere Pro to Import AVI to Adobe Premiere

Converted the AVI files from the sony timelapse app on my A7R2 to mp4 using this idealshare app. Worked well as far as I can tell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines