• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 2018 won’t import DV AVI files on my MacBook Pro anymore?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro CC 2018 Version 12.1.0 won’t import DV AVI files with MacBook Pro any more

Hi – I’ve just updated Premiere 2018 and I can no longer import DV AVI files. The files just appear greyed out. MOV files are fine though.

Last week prior to the update the AVI files were importing without a problem!! Why is this? How can I keep using DV AVI files?

The files are:

AVI (OpenDML) (DVCPRO): 13.1 GiB, 1h 1mn

1 Video stream: DV (Sony)

1 Audio stream: PCM

Overall bit rate mode: Constant

Overall bit rate: 30.3 Mbps

Recorded date: 2007-01-02 14:51:03.000

Video: 24.4 Mbps, 720*576 (4:3), at 25.000 fps, DV (Sony) (PAL) (DVCPRO)

Audio 1 536 Kbps, 48.0 KHz, 16 bits, 2 channels, PCM (Little/Signed)

Here’s my computer specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-Inch, Early 2013) Running High Sierra Version 10.13.3

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536

Basically just normal DV AVI files I’ve imported many times up until this update. I've got thousands of these files (at one time captured from Mini DV tape) sitting on external HDD's.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Evan

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

exactly the same here..

timelapse from Sony A7S2 in AVI ...not accepted anymore by premiere pro , nor MediaEncoder.

Converted it by XMediaRecode on another computer to ProRes422HQ in mov container.

Looks quite the same , BUT, I have to change the framerate in the timeline to achieve the proper speed...and this gives me now a more blurry look...way worse then orginally in 12.0.1 with native avi.

The only way , downgrade to 12.1 ...I did it...everything's fine

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously Adobe?

Isn't this what Adobe Encoder should be able to do? Here I am spending 600+ USD on Creative Suite every year and then I have to download another software just to import my AVI files? My AVI are giving me errors in Adobe Premiere AND Media Encoder, but interestingly enough, every other crapo app can import them fine. I can even load it into VLC.

This is absolutely pathetic!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution on my MacBook Pro.  The MacBook seems to have a native encoder built-in to the OS.  Navigate to the AVI file in Finder.  Right click on the file and select "Encode Selected Video Files".  From there you can encode the AVI file to Apple ProRes in seconds.  Replace the footage in Premiere with the the new .MOV file and you're good to go.  I don't see hardly any loss in quality.  Hope this works for everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a workaround that worked for me.  Encoded in seconds(!) and was ready to use. 

Doesn't let Adobe off the hook, just works for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, thank you!!!! This saved me so much time and it worked perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this 'Right click>Encode Selected Video Files' solution definitely worked for me!

Word to the wise...the clip that immediately appears is still being transcoded...give it a little while and you will see the file size start to increase and then the thumbnail appear.

However, there is another solution that I recommend that will give you a higher bitrate (at least in my case-might depend on the footage being converted) and I believe better looking footage, especially if it is grainy archival footage:

If you open the .avi in Quicktime (Version 10.4 for me)...it will automatically start converting.

(I've had this not able to convert, but I would say 90% it converts without any issue.)

After that finishes, simply File>Save with a new name ("filename_converted.mov" for example) and voilà you have a .mov file that will play in quicktime, work in Premiere, Resolve, etc.!

(FYI  - the resulting file will be encoded in H.264 Video with 48000Hz Linear PCM Audio)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an aside...I also think it's complete BS that Adobe took away the .avi functionality starting with CC2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i found a extreme good solution. Download the program PERIAN v1.2.3 and install on your mac. It is a freeware plugin.

It solves all the problems: you can play the avi on Quicktime and you can load the avi files in Final Cut Pro X and also in Compressor.

If the Perian program does not install: press the control button and open the installation of Perian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is amazing, thank you so much! I agree that this still doesn't let Adobe off the hook. I've literally been learning Final Cut Pro X because of my various problems that arise from updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So after MUCH frustration and a few angry facebook posts on Adobe's page trying to get them to explain why they did this, i finally found a solution they werent able to give me. IF YOU HAVE MAC: This is extremely easy.  I hope this reaches everyone, because i almost punched a wall trying to find a solution

1. Open IMovie

2. Import clip

3. Click File -> Share -> File

4. Click Next after selecting highest quality

5. Establish your export location

6. You're done. Its in .MOV by export default

How to Convert AVI to MP4 ****free***How to Convert AVI to MP4 ****free***

ResultResult

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines