• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 2020 - OpenCL Deprecated!?

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just opened Premiere 2020 on my Late 2015 iMac with graphics card AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB and Mercury Playback engine says Recommended for Metal but Deprecated for OpenCL. It is my belief that AMD cards use OpenCL. Has this changed? Is Metal now utilizing AMD cards? Which should I use for best performance?

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

The decision to depreciate OpenCL is not Adobe's, but Apple's. As of Mojave, CUDA is no longer supported at all in OSX, while OpenCL support is placed in a "legacy" state (no new features or updates planned).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Blake,

Yes, if you are using current versions of macOS and Premiere Pro, Metal is the way to go.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Catalina on my 2015 iMac and my PPro performance has cratered. Example: Stretch a clip in the timeline and it stalls, beachballs for 3-5 seconds whike it refreshes, then lets me continue for about two seconds, beachballs again then lets me continue. Checking the Renderer Settings in Project Settings, it is set to Metal. When I change to Software Only the problem disappears. Open CL says it is Deprecated and it causes the same problem. Is Catalina not recommended for PPro?  AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The decision to depreciate OpenCL is not Adobe's, but Apple's. As of Mojave, CUDA is no longer supported at all in OSX, while OpenCL support is placed in a "legacy" state (no new features or updates planned).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am a little confused after reading this. So I just installed an Egpu on my mac mini and it is an AMD RX570. The computer recognize it it patched up and I even clicked on to use this as default before I opened Adobe Premier Pro. 

Then when I select what I would like to use I have the following options: 
1. Mercury PLayback Engine GPU Acceleration (metal) Recommended
2.Mercury PLayback Engine GPU Acceleration (Open CL) Depreceated 

3. Mercury PLayback Engine Software Only

So to get the most out of using the graphic card and able to edit my videos better where I use lots of graphics which one do I select? because I don't see any difference no matter what I do. Is there a trick to this? or any recommedntions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With newer versions of macOS and newer GPU hardware, Metal is preferred. OpenCL support still exists for those uses that would otherwise have trouble with Metal. And you should not have to use software only unless you have a substandard GPU installed or if you see green lines in the preview image in either Metal or OpenCL (as AMD GPU drivers, including those that are part of Apple's regular updates, are still experiencing teething problems with the three most recent generations of GPUs).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have no idea, but I remember seeing posts a while ago that there were issues with some systems with 2 graphics cards installed.  I think there's a way to disable the built in graphics so your external works properly but I can't remember how.  do some searching here or google it and post back and let us know if this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines