Premiere 2021 audio not importing with video files

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My files are only importing as video without the audio. I am working in Premiere v.15.4.1 and on a mac mojave. I have been using my canon c100 for 5 years and have never run into this issue. I am recording at 24 Mbps and frame rate 24p. 

I can hear my recorded audio on the camera and in VLC. Thanks for any suggestions or help!

TOPICS
Audio , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

I accidently did not record with lcpm, which I think is what is causing the problem, but I do not know how to fix it. Any ideas?

By @Meredith5CFA

Then the audio is probably recorded as Dolby Digital and Premiere Pro dropped support for decoding of Dolby Digital files in recent versions. Today Premiere Pro relies on the Dolby Digital decoder in the OS, so if you are using the latest version of Premiere Pro on let´s say Windows 7 this will happen. (Or an old version of Mac OS)

Version of Pre

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost always this is a simple thing to fix ... "source" tracking. Look at the following graphic, and make sure you have a source track target set for the audio on the far left.

Neil

Source Patching.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your message. The issue is the audio does not import at all. I know audio exists in the file, because I have listened to it in my camera. I accidently did not record with lcpm, which I think is what is causing the problem, but I do not know how to fix it. Any ideas?

best,

meredith

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So no audio shows in the Source monitor, nor in the properties for the file in PrPro?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct! But I can hear audio in VLC and playback on the camera. 😕

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which makes me wonder what the audio is.

Download/install the free MediaInfo utility, I'm on my tablet or I'd provide the link. After installation, with that applet's icon on the desktop, simply drag/drop one of those files onto the MediInfo icon.

It will open, then select that app's "tree view". Post a screengrab in your reply text area.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 11.19.52 AM.pngI think it is the issue @Averdahl mentioned. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I accidently did not record with lcpm, which I think is what is causing the problem, but I do not know how to fix it. Any ideas?

By @Meredith5CFA

Then the audio is probably recorded as Dolby Digital and Premiere Pro dropped support for decoding of Dolby Digital files in recent versions. Today Premiere Pro relies on the Dolby Digital decoder in the OS, so if you are using the latest version of Premiere Pro on let´s say Windows 7 this will happen. (Or an old version of Mac OS)

Version of Premiere Pro and OS version?

Link: Adobe Creative Cloud apps use native OS support for Dolby

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooooh, I see. I think that is probably what is going on. I'm using Premiere 2021 v15.4.1 and I am working on a mac running mojave. When I added the files to my laptop which is running catalina and Premiere Pro 2021, the audio worked. Very frusterating!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*frustrating

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

This does not sound ideal. Could you test the issue after choosing No Input as Default Input Audio Hardware under Preferences > Audio Hardware?

Let us know the outcome.

Regards,

Shivangi

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion, but that did not work.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any other suggestions? I've been having this issue on Premiere on multiple Apple machines running MacOS Monterey on my Silicon-based Macs running the newest PPro 22.5. My only work around is to have to convert is to prores or some other file format like prores from an Intel-based Mac before importing to preserve audio on my M1 machines.

Seems like the only owrkaround until Adobe supports C100 audio natively again or I have my studio update cameras?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seems like the only owrkaround until Adobe supports C100 audio natively again or I have my studio update cameras?

By @BMoyeOP

I don´t think Adobe will add support for native Dolby Digital support in future versions.

Isn´t there a setting in camera that let´s you choose if the audio is either PCM or Dolby Digital? Use PCM instead of Dolby Digital.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines