• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 2021 so slow, laggy editing experience all around

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Big Sur and a new 2019 Mac Pro with dual AMD w5700x. Premier 2020 works fine, 2021 is laggy all around, dragging items, hitting play pause all happen moments after you try to do each thing, pause/play expect a 10 frame lag, drag an item to replace a clip, expect a .5 sec hickup while you wait.

The laggy pause in particular is making accurate editing a real chore, this is unacceptable! 

I see people complaining about this from all platforms far and wide, please don't ask me if my continueous thumbnails are on, they're not. For some reason everyone has a laggy and crappy experience on this version of premiere.  Feel free to ask me redundant questions about my particular settings, but it is clear to me this is all on Adobe to fix it.

Using 2020 version whenever possible for now...

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BDPBS,

Sorry, are you running 15.2 and have nested sequences in your Timeline? Show us a screenshot. If so, remove audio from that nested sequence and place it on the Timeline. Does the problem go away?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no nested timelines, so that doesn't help in this case, however my comments really are regarding all around performance and not a single project file. The previous version you mentioned 15.2 was just as laggy however I'm using 15.4 since at least a few work days now. 

bdpbs_0-1627577725050.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

Sorry for the performance issue. That sounds pretty bad. I have some things you can try here that I hope will get you out of this jam, because this doesn't sounds right.

What I would try next is deleting all traces of residual media cache from the previous version - that can really muck things up. Best way to do that is to first choose File > Close All Projects to ensure you don't have multiple projects open. Then, choose Premiere Pro > Preferences > Media Cache and then click the button to remove all media cache. Close Premiere Pro.

Reboot the system to clear the RAM cache. 

Press the Option key as you launch Premiere Pro and take a second to delete Preferences, as well. Now you are starting fresh and you should now launch this project and this sequence. How is it performing now? Let me know. Hope I can help.

Thank You,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried that and I still have the exact same issue. Extremely laggy play back. I've set the resolution to 1/4, changed my proxies to the lowest resolution possible and im editing 1080p footage, all of this on top of doing what you said. Can't justify paying for a product that doesn't work, 2020 premier pro was much better 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nolan5CF1  Update to this issue, if you are also running a 4K monitor on a mac, try running either native 4K resolution or one of the "low resolution" options in your display preferences. Running other resolutions marked "scaled" will result in the display being upscaled to 4K despite the resolution lower setting, which takes gpu and processing power, causing a lag Premiere, rarely seen in other apps while using this Mac OS feature.

Note to see the additional resolutions, option+click "scaled".

Changing this setting helped some, I still feel it's more laggy than it should be, but this actually helped.

bdpbs_0-1631538295448.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny how MacOS and Windows Display Scaling can both negatively affect Premiere performance.

Have you checked your audio settings and set Default Input to No Audio? I've heard that can help in some cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "low resolution" options are probably panel native resolutions, although it's questionable whether GPU upscaling should be affecting performance at all on any modern card;  it's mostly handled transparently and without using any extra RAM and very little resources to the point where current AMD drivers have options for high-res gaming that render the screen out at reduced resolutions and upscale when fast motion is occuring to increase FPS without badly affecting perceived quality and reducing input lag...   basically if it's cheap enough on CPU and GPU  that it improves things in fast-paced games it's a non-issue for 2D GUI.

If Mac isn't doing this for free via GPU they're applying some non-GPU prettification of things that probably isn't helping matters but I don't notice a hit from DPI scaling on Windows either (although most of the Adobe software just seems to ignore it and continues to have impossibly small UI elements anyway...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same terrible experience! I simply can not get any work done!! I have even had to resort to installing a cracked version of 2019 and guess what, it runs so much smoother and without your Creative Clout having to keep my system clogged! How long is it going to take premiere to fix this!? I mean I avoided so long to update because I was afraid this was going to happen and yet so many years later and you still make such an unreliable product and you expect us to pay for this frustration? And don't ask me system setups please... I have been working between premier and avid etc for over a decade. I have gone through all possible troubleshooting methods and it has been greatest waste of my time and energy. We expect it to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lucy, Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card and your source properties and sequence settings.   Does your system meet minimum specs

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

Updates usually make greater demands on your system...

I recently installed a program that monitors ram usage on my 2012 macbookpro which has the maximum of 16 gigs installed on it.  It gives you a clue when an app is using too much ram.  I often see premiere gets progressively more sluggish as I work and "Cleaner One Pro" seems to be able to clear the ram.   I've just had it installed a couple of days, so no guarantees.  

And higher resolution and frame rates can cause performance issues.  A proxy workflow can usually boost performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I bet Apple's fix is to download Final Cut Pro! From what I'm reading there isn't a good fix. I'm about to haul two iMacs tp the landfill. We bought them to edit video and it doesn't work!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines