Copied

Any help is appreciated.

Steps I took:

1-transcript > transcribe sequence

2-create captions

3-caption preset "subtitle default"

4-format "subtitle"

Text and csv export worked fine.

SRT export opens finder for save-as but nothing saves.

I also:

1-highlighted captions track on timeline

2-file

3-export

4-captions

results:

"closed captions export error. error occurred while writing the following closed caption file:"

What did I do wrong?

Thank you for any help!

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully someone will be able to help soon.

While I waited I decided to:

-create a new captions track

-instead of choosing "default" or "default subtitle" I used the CEA-608 format

-repeated above steps for export.

It heeded the exact same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recall this being reported. Works fine for me (on Win10) in the latest 22.2.0 and previous.

Can you post a screenshot of your text panel, program monitor, and timeline? How are  you exporting the srt? From the Text Panel, captions tab? Or Export -> Media. Shouldn't matter....

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,
Thank you for responding to my inquiry.

I know nothing of what is or isn't reported and I'm very happy you aren't faced with this same challenge.

I'm sure I'm doing something incorrectly and I appreciate any help or advice so I can get my film sent off to its destination.

The first way I tried to export was from the "Captions" window.

With the window itself selected (it doesn't seem I have a choice to select a different window) I clicked the 3 dots in the upper right corner and clicked "export .srt" this takes me to my Finder (Mac of course) where I name the file and save it to a folder.

When I click "save" the Finder disappears, as it is supposed to, but no file is left behind.

The second way I tried was to select the captions track on the timeline, with the timeline selected, and did: file>export>captions. That is what heeded the error message of the second part of what I've written above.

Attached is a screenshot of the captions window as requested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a few write ups about open and closed captions.

I created the captions via the transcripts and the dialog boxes that associate with that task. In previous versions of the software it asked about open or closed, I didn't see that option on my journey here and maybe that is what I'm missing? When I try to export via the timeline the error message about closed captioning.

With this is mind this is why I chose to try another caption format (default was the first chosen, CEA608 was the second format chosen, both heeded the same results)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to export a "subtitle" caption track and a 608 caption track by the Text panel and the file Export -> Captions method.

Do you see file extensions (here .srt) in Finder? In Windows, those can be turned off.

Can someone on Mac confirm this is working for Mac users?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Stan,

I really appreciate you finding that post for me. That is exactly what happened.

Thank you so much for your help and support.

Best,

Christie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines