Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Captions 15.0 cutting off descenders

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I am creating captions within premiere and the descenders on the 'g' are getting cut. Any ideas? I don't think it's the bounding box, because they descend below that fine. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 11.43.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 11.44.04 AM.png

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Ok. So my colleagues (haha) and I have figured it out. I think it is a padding issue or a Mac padding issue. 

My original state: I had Sofia Pro Regular size 60, *bottom align text*,  centered but bumped up by -16p vetically and I made the caption box as wide as I could for longer phrases.

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 9.50.37 AM.png

Fixed state: I kept everything the same except I made it *center text vertically*, and then zerod out the vertical position. Then I downsized the bounding box size to move my text back down to the bottom of the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: 

The original text was Sofia Pro size 60 when the 'g' was getting cut off. As I sized it up, the cut off was less and less. At size 65, the cut off was gone. I bumped it up to 70 and the cut off returned. Maybe it's a padding issue on the caption bounding box? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested (PR release version 15.2) and saw no issue with my default Minion Pro. Then I added the font Sofia Pro Regular and did not see a problem. There is no flattening on the bottom of the "g" descender.

I moved it in various ways; could not get the descender to flatten.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this exact same problem  - however desending 'g's only appeared cut prior to rendering or export.

Once rendered the 'g's were fine

So preview render (if you haven't already) and see if the problem goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip! It did still cut off my "G" sadly. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 8.46.46 AM.png

 

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Puzzling!

I would test also by creating regular text and move it to the same location. Is that cut off?

I'd also be curious to see a larger screenshop with that section of the timeline, with Text Panel, Essential Graphics, and Program Monitor.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. So my colleagues (haha) and I have figured it out. I think it is a padding issue or a Mac padding issue. 

My original state: I had Sofia Pro Regular size 60, *bottom align text*,  centered but bumped up by -16p vetically and I made the caption box as wide as I could for longer phrases.

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 9.50.37 AM.png

Fixed state: I kept everything the same except I made it *center text vertically*, and then zerod out the vertical position. Then I downsized the bounding box size to move my text back down to the bottom of the screen (-247 vertically) without my 'g' going bellow the bottom of the box. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 9.56.52 AM.png

 

Maybe that will help someone in the future. It was not a font problem. I also tried Helvetica and it did the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting back. I'm on Windows, and I tried your settings that produced the problem. No flattening on the "g."

There appears to be no control for any padding.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking. It's definitely a Mac issue. My coworkers have windows at home and didn't see the problem, but when tested on their Macs in the office saw the same issue I was getting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is 2023 and I am having the same issue with a PC, so not a Mac only issue. Strangely it only seems to happen when my font size is at an odd number (81 had it, but 80 didnt). So it might have something to do with how the vector of the text is visualized along with the pixel position and overall resolution in relation to the visible "padding" of how many pixels are visble beyond bottom of the text bounding box.

Obviously I have no actual idea, but just spitballing here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for posting. I am not seeing the problem in Win10 PR 23.5.0.

To confirm, you are on PR 23.5? And the bottom of descenders is flattened? Screenshot?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines