• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Changed ALL Of My Color Correction/Grading Dramatically!!!

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So,  I have a project that I've worked on for over 9 months.  It's in a sepia tint and I painstakingly tweaked and colored each and every clip to perfection.  Like I said, this took me about 9 months!

Tonight, I open up the project and... Premiere has removed ALL of my color correction and color grading.  All I have now is a big project of ugly, uncorrected, ungraded footage.

I'm literally in tears over this.  I'm sorry, but these kinds of DRASTICLY DESTRUCTIVE bugs are simply UNACCEPTABLE for a "professional" program, and it seems like they are occuring on a regular basis lately.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to fix this?

Windows 10 64 bit, 64G RAM, NVIDIA card.  I've tried opening in the latest Premier 2022 and in 2021.

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how to edit my original post, or even if I can.  I should mention that all of the color settings and adjustments on the sliders or the various looks are still there in the Lumetri Color panel for each clip, it's just that they are all being ignored in the playback monitor.

What's more odd is that the image I am getting in the playback monitor appears as though a color correction and grade has been perfomed across the entire edit, but it's like a washed out, almost color log footage appearance, across the entire edit (I don't ever shoot in log).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be that Premiere is now reading your media metadata incorrectly. It might be this issue:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-how-to-fix-saturated-over-exposed-hlg-cl...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Richard.  I've tried opening it in Premier 2021 (where it was originally created) and 2022 and the same issue is in both.

I tried the settings changes outlined in the link you shared, but this had no affect on the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a saved version from before the upgrade to 2022? If so, save a copy of that project file somewhere safe and try opening the saved version in 2021, then in 2022.

(This assumes that it worked as expected in 2021).

You should also try importing the problem project into a new 2022 project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff.  I'm downloading and installing it now.  Hope this works.  Fingers crossed.

About a month ago, I tried to remove 2022 and reinstall 2021.  But something completely unexplainable happened.  Even though I created projects in 2021 (not sure which iteration), EVERY single time I would go to open a 2021 created project in the reinstalled 2021, I would get the "this project was created in a previous version of... you must convert it..." message.

I literally uninstalled and installed EVERY SINGLE POINT iteration of 2021 on my machine and tried to open the projects I created in 2021, and no matter which one I installed, I got that message.  That blows my mind and makes no sense.  Is there an earlier version of 2021 than 15.0?  15.0 is the the last one Adobe offers me to download and install.

I've put up with A LOT of super annoying bugs for months.  Like how every 30 min, my timeline witll lock and not let me move or import any new clips.  I just get that circle with a line through it.  I've gotten used to working hobbled like that in Adobe.  Closing and reopeing Premiere a minimum of 100 times a day just to work on an edit.  Once I close and reopen, it lets me work on the edit for another 30 minutes or so before it locks the timeline again.  Let's not even talk about the ever present freezing, super choppy playback etc.

But it only got worse ever since I installed 2022 on my machine.  Since installing 2022, I've had at least one CATASTROPHIC bug ruining entire projects every month.  I can't go on like this with Adobe much longer, looking for a new NLE today.  It's a shame because I used to teach Premiere and know it well.  I didn't want to have to learn new software, but I can't take all the catastrophic bugs COMPLETELY RUINING projects I've worked on for 16 hour days for 6-9 months. 

It's worth ANY costs to get away from that soul crushing heartache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can get any version of Pr 2021 to run, try importing one of your old 2021 projects into a *new* 2021 project.

If that works and the color grade looks like you want, then try saving that new 2021 project and importing it into a brand-new, empty, 2022 project. If this is just a problem of a slightly corrupted project file, then the project import step should fix that.

Also try resetting your workspace, or changing to a default workspace and resetting that.

All this is done in the hope that the grading information you need is still in those project files and you just need Pr to get at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened it in 2021 and it's still messed up.  I don't know what you mean by "reseeting your workspace" or "changing to a default workspace".  I've never done this.  I don't know what this means or how I would do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe customer service chat assistance thing was a tedious waste of time.

At this point Im thinking I'm just about DONE with Adobe.

Do you know how I could port over my edits to FCP or Resolve?  Is that possible, or would I have to rebuild the edit clip by clip in another NLE?

It's probably worth it at this point to just spend the next nine months rebuilding the entire edit in a properly coded and stable NLE.  I'm beginning to think it's probably not wise to put any more time and effort into any Adobe projects because I could spend the next six months redoing the color in every clip and get it just right, only for Adobe to then randomly and massively F*** it all up a week later with the latest catastrophic bug.  That seems to be the pattern, and I can't go on like this anymore.

I mean, Premiere was NEVER a joy to work in, with ALL the massive ammounts of annoying bugs I had to deal with and work around every single day.  But suddenly changing/not displaying the color correctly on an ENTIRE PROJECT?  That's... major, and I think the last straw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can export your project as an FCP xml file.

Go to File>Export>Final Cut Pro XML.

EDIT: Pr only exports FCP 7 format XML files. FCPX won't read FCP 7 XML files. Why Apple doesn't have that backward capability is puzzling. Why Adobe doesn't create XML files that can be used in FCPX is also puzzling. To bridge that gap you need a $20 utility called SendToX. Detailed instructions and things that get lost in translation are on their web site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultxevn64n09qqn wrote:

I opened it in 2021 and it's still messed up.  I don't know what you mean by "reseeting your workspace" or "changing to a default workspace".  I've never done this.  I don't know what this means or how I would do that.

Workspaces.jpg

ResetWorkspace.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere won't let me export a timeline XML file for FCP or an AAF file for Resolve.

I've tried and tried and tried with all kinds of tricks and changes and settings inbetween for the last five hours or so.  NOTHING I do will let me export either kind of file.

When I hit OK and tell it to export, all Premiere does is hang and then tell me "program not responding" and then it crashes.  Every single time.

I've uninstalled and installed various versions of Premiere and it still does this.

I've scoured my machine for any and all media cache files and deleted them and it still does this.

I've updated my video card drivers and it still does this.

I've copied the timeline into a new sequence and it still does this.

I've turned off GPU acceleration and it still does this.

I've turned on GPU acceleration and it still does this.

I've tried highlighting all the clips in the edit before hitting export and it still does this.

I've tried excluding audio from the edit and it still does this.

I've tried various changes to the video parameters, like from Rec709 to HGL or from Custom to AVCHD and it still does this.

I've restarted my machine at least 75 times and it still does this.

I've turned off all of my antivirus software and it still does this.

I can't think of anything else to do and I've now spent all of my weekend scouring the web for suggestions and I've tried all of them.

So... to add insult to massive injury, Premiere's final bug is that it won't even let me leave Premiere.  How is this program available for sale to the public when it's at least 50% broken software?  Every time I think Premiere can't possibly increase my suffering and torment, it proves me wrong.

Is there ANY way I can get these projects out of Premiere.  I just want out.  I want my life back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry you're having to go through all this. It's not normal behavior for Pr.

It was a good idea to try a different selection in the Project panel for FCP XML export, but I'd like you to try one more. Pick a sequence, just one, in the Project panel and try to export an XML file. What happens?

Are you running Pr as an administrator?

Are all of your folder permissions correct?

Finally, it may help us if you gave very detailed information about your editing rig, including type and number of monitors.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-what-information-should-i-provide-when-asking-a-ques...

For what it's worth, there is something major that's wrong with your system or with your Pr installation or with this particular project. What I hope is that it's solvable to some degree and you can get your system to either work or let you move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... when you say "select a sequence in the project panel", are you referring to the media bin area on the left where all the footage is stored?  I selected one, but there is no option to export them as XML as I can see.  When I click on one, the only option I get is the regular export media, like when I'm exporting a movie.

I don't know if I'm running as an administrator or how I would even know that.  I don't know what folder permissions are.

I have a single monitor set up with a run of the mill Acer monitor set to 1920x1080.  My other specs are below.

PC SPECS.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point I would also check that you don't have the "global fx mute" toggled on, because that WOULD do exactly what you're seeing. That's an option in the Program Monitor.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this and it did made a drastic difference to the appearnce of my edit.  But it did so by displaying all of my clips completely unafected.  Just the bare video straight from camera. 

This tells me that there is some kind of color grade being recognized and displayed on my clips, just nothing like the color grade I did.

The color grade Premiere is putting on my edit makes it look like washed out log footage with a dark contrast matt overlayed.  Very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the media? Log encoded or ... what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  It's not log footage.  Just 1080p shot in Natural color profile from my OMD EM1 MKIII.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is color management enabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You everyone for your help.  I've tried all of this stuff in the last 32 hours or so and nothing works.  I simply don't have time to f*** with this anymore for weeks on end.  

I'm moving on from Adobe.  I thought this would be THE LAST CATASTROPHIC BUG Premiere would torment me with, but... I was wrong.

I looked into porting my Premiere timelines over to Davinci Resolve or FCP and it seems pretty easy, as there is an option to export your timelines out for either one of those NLE's.  

HOWEVER... Premiere won't actually let me export anything.  When I go to export, I get the spinning blue circle, a "program not responding" message and then a nice fat crash.  It's now done this about 25 times in a row, with me making various tweaks inbetween to find the magic setting/configuration.

So...  I can't export AAF for Resolve or the one for FCP.  

I guess this has something to do with the bug that for the LAST THREE MONTHS won't let me EVER use the "Save As..." feature.  I stopped making alternate versions of my edits because EVERY TIME I would hit "Save As...", I get the blue circle/program not responding and then crash.

It's not enough that Premiere torments me with more GIANT BUGS than a tropical rainforest, now... it's literally holding me against my will.  I JUST WANT OUT, and Premiere doesn't even have the courtesy to let me do that.

So now what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

since you're going for broke, backup everything, use adobe cleaner or even reinstall your os and try again. have you ruled out hardware failure?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... if my machine is running fine with every other program, what hardware failure could exist? 

I 'm unfamiliar with something called Adobe Cleaner.  Would that be in my account downloads? 

Reinstalling my OS for an Adobe problem isn't feasable, as that would entail a good four weeks of reinstalling all of my music production sofware and literally close to a thousand third party plugins.  And then I'd have to potentially deal with bugs and issues in those programs from any of those fresh installs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe cleaner purges adobe products beyond a normal uninstall

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

as for wiping the os, let's call that plan B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um ... I would be willing to bet the farm your problem is right here ...

as that would entail a good four weeks of reinstalling all of my music production sofware and literally close to a thousand third party plugins.

There are quite a number of issues that have occured between Premiere and the drivers/"helper app"-crud installed by sound cards and with audio plugins for other apps. Especially if they're at all running, even in the background, while Premiere is there are often software conflicts going on.

The Adobe CC Cleaner process might fix your ills, takes only a few minutes and worth the try. But if that doesn't, I'm betting somewhere in all that audio stuff there's a conflicting driver or two.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

literally close to a thousand third party plugins. 

By @defaultxevn64n09qqn

This might well be the cause of some of your issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines