• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Changed ALL Of My Color Correction/Grading Dramatically!!!

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So,  I have a project that I've worked on for over 9 months.  It's in a sepia tint and I painstakingly tweaked and colored each and every clip to perfection.  Like I said, this took me about 9 months!

Tonight, I open up the project and... Premiere has removed ALL of my color correction and color grading.  All I have now is a big project of ugly, uncorrected, ungraded footage.

I'm literally in tears over this.  I'm sorry, but these kinds of DRASTICLY DESTRUCTIVE bugs are simply UNACCEPTABLE for a "professional" program, and it seems like they are occuring on a regular basis lately.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to fix this?

Windows 10 64 bit, 64G RAM, NVIDIA card.  I've tried opening in the latest Premier 2022 and in 2021.

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's brilliant Neil, that's helped me out of a long re-grade, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for that.  I was going crazy trying to understand why my graded color wasn't showing when I opened a project in a new version.  Seems like I tried everything...  except the global FX mute!!  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Really sorry to hear that so many months of work may be at risk due to some unlnown issue.

There could be a possible solution that hopefully will resolve your issue.

Even though you donot see the color correction being applied, the sliders and value changes are still "alive" in the Lumetri panel.

You should look at saving the corrections as LUTS. 

If you dont now how to create LITS there are a ton of vids available to watch on this.

The trick is now what to do AFTER you have created the LUTS (and stored them safely in a location like an external)

You have several options but I will outline just 3:

1. Reinstall your OS (not the most pleasant of tasks but it will esure stability)

2. Should 1 not be an option uninstall PP using the CC Cleaner tool.

Roll back to the most stable version that you were previously working with (ensure that your current save can be opened with the version you are installing)

3. Open the save .proj file and manually delete all the Lumetri correction you have made from within the Lumetri panel or the Effects panel

4. Save this .proj without the color correction as something like "My Ungraded Project)

5.Close off Premiere and Reopen with the new saved project

6. Apply any LUT and see what happens

Kindly let us know how you fare.

Hope thos works for you

Remeber that you can also move the saved LUTS to other NLE's if this is a client critical project and you stand to lose your income. Again , there are tons of video resources out there if you do not understand how to do this.

A tip for future use. ALWAYS have 2 versions of Premiere installed when Adobe releases a big update. As an example run 15.0 and 16.0 on the same machine. On Macs this is very safe and will not cause any issues.  Its a safety net for serious critical work that doesnt cost too much time to manage. 

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mo and Neil gave you good info, if a bit unpleasant. 

Before you wipe your system, though, try this:

1. Launch Pr from a shortcut (Taskbar, Start Menu, Desktop) while holding down the Shift+Alt keys.  Alt resets prefs and Shift clears plugin cache.
  2. Keep the keys pressed until the main program window appears.
  3. Before trying to open any project or starting a new one, go to Preferences>Media Cache and delete *all* your media cache files.
  4. Now try opening your problem project or starting a new one and then importing the old one into it.
  5. Try selecting just one sequence in the Project panel (what you called the "media bin") and then trying the XML export again using File>Export>Final Cut Pro XML.

You should also try setting your default audio input to none in Preferences>Audio Hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you could Dropbox the project and Media we could have a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to do Dropbox. 

Reinstalling my OS and all of my associated programs and audio plugins would take as many weeks as just regrading all of my stuff, and would probably lead to bugs/errors/crashes/problems in some of my other software.

I've just accepted the fact that I will never be able to get my current projects out of Premiere.  I'm just STUCK in Premiere for all of my current in work projects I guess.  I'm not staring ANYTHING new in Premiere however.  I've started new projects in Davinci Resolve as of two days ago.

However, trying to REGRADE everything in my project in Premiere and now Premiere won't even let me use luts or color presets.  After I tweaked the first clip with two different Adobe "looks" and some tweaking in the basic panel I saved that as a .cube lut file.  A lut file should save everything I've done to the clip, correct?  It should save the Adobe "looks" as well as any tweaks to any lumetri panels, isn't that right?

When I go to the next clip however to apply my new lut, it's all wrong.  The lut I made was for a black and white sepia toned image.  When I apply the new lut to the next uncorrected/ungraded clip, I just get a color image that is super yellow.

So... it appears that even luts do not work in Premiere anymore.

So... it looks like I have to MANUALLY REGRADE each and every single clip without even the assistance of any color presets?

God almighty, this program goes from terrible to more terrible.

What is the difference between saving a lut, a look and a color preset?  This sounds like three different names for the exact same thing?  Do these not work in 2022 for everyone?

Oh.. and I still can't save new versions of anything I do as "Save As..." still causes a crash every single time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your comments about the use of a LUT don't show a lot of understanding of what a LUT actually is and does, nor of the difference between LUTs and presets.

For starters, not everything you do in Lumetri can be done with a LUT ... a common colorist statement is that 'LUTs are the dumbest math out there" as they're nothing but a matrix table. This comes in here, goes out there. That's it.

LUTs will not for instance take the 'brains' of an HSL key. Only the results with this image. Again, as all they do is recreate "this pixel came in as X, goes out as Q".

Next you say you applied to Adobe Looks then tweaked, then tried to save that as a LUT. The only way I know to apply Looks is through the Creative tab's dropdown slot, as the Basic tab won't accept .Look files, only .cube ones.

So to apply two Adobe Looks would take two instances of Lumetri ... and when you select the option within Lumetri to save as a .cube, it only saves THAT instance of Lumetri. It doesn't save everything that's been done to the image in the Effects Control panel layer stack.

You can save that as a preset though ... apply mulitple instances of Lumetri, then select them all in the ECP, right-click/save as a preset. Name it, give it a useful description.

Then when you go to the Effects panel your preset will be there. Drag/drop onto one or more clips on a sequence, all the effects saved inside that preset will be applied at once to all clips.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to reply because he is talking about an issue I am having as well.

This is a strange issue, and while I'm not overreacting, as of yet, if this issue pertains to all of the previous projects that were created in another version of Adobe besides the Latest 22.3.0, then there is definitely an issue. And that would drive any professional/hobbyist/person (But especially professional) to have reason to be irritated.

If you can please help, that would be much appreciated.

I've worked for MONTHS as well on a project where Work STILL needs to be done, as there was a series of videos to be released, and a majority of them were edited, but then the future edits need to be determined as time went on.

Well, other projects came on the table, and in taking on the new projects, the entire System was upgraded (OS, Other programs, and Creative Cloud).

When going from earlier version of Premiere, - to the newest version, I reopened the said project that has TAKEN MONTHS, and I am experiencing the SAME problem with THE COLOR. The same issues that the other person was having in regards to Color correction/Color grading.

Everything within this project has altered the Color. Because I exported and utilized most of the previous Videos from earlier as the project was being released in parts, I have comparisons. I can do a new export and clearly see that the COLOR is NOT CORRECT.

The Color looks faded, almost like a LOG profile, yet ALL of the Lumetri Color FX that I added individually and painstakingly Color Corrected are STILL ATTACHED, with the SAME (It appears to be the Same) Settings and adjustments made when I did them in EARLIER Version Of Premiere? In a Couple Cases, it almost look better if I just took the FX off, and just used the basic color output from the Camera...Which seems ridiculous when you think about it, because just like the person above, the amount of time spent doing specific Custom Color Correction only to open a pre-existing project and find the colors are all messed up like this, is a WASTE of time.

Anything New I've created, it flows and works just fine..

But bringing in a Project saved from an Earlier version of Premiere keeps the Lumtri FX I've added, but they looked washed out, faded, and they look nothing like they should, and it's not just a Viewer issue. It exports this way as well.

If anyone can help with a Solution that would be much appreciated.

P.S. I've gone into The Premiere > Preferences > General > Display Color Management (Requires GPU rendering) and that changed a little bit, but it still doesn't replicate ALL of the HARD WORK that was put into CUSTOM COLOR CORRECTION on the Original Project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have all our sympathy, understand. Yea, that's a mess to sort out.

The cause of the problem is very simple: the 2022 Premiere has a completely new under-the-hood color system. ALL math, default behaviors, everything.

Why? The old system, ALL 2021 and eearlier builds, was hardcoded around the sRGB/Rec,709 color space and math. Which simply cannot be carried forward with multiple color spaces now coming in from cameras let alone needed for exports.

The new system is "color space agnostic" as I described it on testing it out, and one of their published comments actually adopted my phrase. This system is designed to be used in multiple color spaces depending on a mix of defaults and user-controlled settings.

And trying to get everything done in color correction transmogrified from the old color system to the new one is perhaps a bit too much of a jump. You're right, the 'conversions' don't actually convert perfectly.

It is quite 'normal' and useful to keep older versions active and installed when new ones come out. I've got Pr2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and public beta 2023 installed on my main machine. On an older machine in the shop, I've got back to 2015.

So to start, if at all possible! ... I would keep working earlier verson projects in their earlier versions, new work in the newer version build.

And yes, you'll have to rebuild much of the color work, especially for most log media, if you bring an old project forward. The first thing in bringing old projects forward is to make sure for ALL log media, that you go into the Project panel, select it, and right-click/Modify/Interpret Footage, go to the NEW color managment tools at the bottom, and set the Override option to Rec.709.

That will 'fix' much log media, at least so it works properly in the 2022 build. It may not perfectly match a 2021/earlier look, though. But it will behave and export as Rec.709 media.

Best wishes ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines