• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere crashes when using J K L key to scrub

Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere 2020 is crashing periodically when I use JKL to scrub the timeline.  It either freezes up completely or continues playing audio while the workspace is unusable.  I get a message about a "low level exception" and "Adobe Player".

I migrated a feature documentary that's been in production for five years before discovering this problem.  I had to methodically go in and update audio effects that didn't translate from PP2018 to PP2020.  Now this problem crops up.

Also, almost everytime I try to start a queue in media encoder 2020, it crashes. 

Thanks for another stellar update, Adobe.  You really deserve all that money you are taking from hard working creatives.

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, full sympathies ... something like this is a pain no question. And yea, like most any other user, I've had problems where I couldn't use the latest version for several months due to issues myself.

Second ...this site is a peer-to-peer user help system, so "we" ain't engineers nor staff. So "we" can't fix anything, though we can help identify possible things, causes, relationships based on the wealth of user experiences brought to this site.

To file something directly to the engineers/managers, go to the UserVoice system, as that is what that site is there for. At least one engineer reads every post over there, and all posts are collated and sent up the line to the upper managers who determine budgets and such ... those people at Adobe live by metrics, and the UV posts are one of their main sources.

At times, we all need to rant ... and that's fine, feel free. I've certainly posted my own here and elsewhere. But if you want to try and get past this, there are other users here like me who'd be happy to help.

As to your particularly issue, across the hundreds of thousands of users, this is apparently a moderately rare thing. And from the few threads I've seen, has had several different causes. So you may have something that is caused by some very specific and unknown thing. Oh ... joy.

In order to start a typical trouble-shooting 101, one needs to start with some basic data ... OS/CPU/RAM/GPU/vRAM, the type of media involved, effects, and storage processes. Plugins or extensions or other 3rd party "touches" of the media or sequence or operating in the background that might be a possible "irritant" somehow.

And one begins testing and eliminating.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I believe I have solved the problem...the hard way.  Because I have another editor coming on board who has upgraded to an OS after Mojave, they will not be able to run PP2018.  So I had no real choice to but to fix this problem myself.

I copied and pasted small sections of my 1hr45min cut (which is separated into 32 nested scene sequences) into a new timeline and fast forwarded using J K L.  Any time it would crash, I would reopen the project and cut out a few clips until I had isolated the problem clip.  It took a long time, but I eventually identified 8 media files that were causing the issue.  There are probably more, but I haven't come across them yet.

They were all h264 files, some MOV and some MP4.  Some had linear PCM audio and others AAC.  I don't know why they were causing the crash.  It would be nice if Premiere could identify files that are causing crashes, instead of the user having to do a time consuming trial and error process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solved

Apologies for resurecting an old thread, but for anyone else struggling with this go to Preferences, Media and turn off H.264/HEVC hardware accelerated playback for growing files in source monitor. 

This fixed the endless scrubbing J and L key problem for me using the latest Premiere update. 

I'm guessing you need to turn it back for the endcode, not got that far with this edit yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines